A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Fuel and Exhausts

D2 - Fuel and Exhausts Everything to do with getting fuel into the engine, and fumes back out again

Old 15th August 2011, 08:04 AM

Location: Redmile: Leics, Notts, Lincs border - near Belvoir Castle
Default The Definitive Fuel Log?

I know it's sad, but here we have a full year's worth of every single tank full of fuel logged against the actual mileage. So, if you have trouble slleeping.....
Attached Files
File Type: pdf S8 MPG.pdf (184.2 KB, 409 views)
Old 15th August 2011, 08:36 AM

lol that IS sad
its interesting that premium fuel makes so little difference.
did you get your car sorted now with the locking?

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs
Old 15th August 2011, 09:02 AM

Location: Redmile: Leics, Notts, Lincs border - near Belvoir Castle

Yes, the premium fuel doesn't pay for itself as some guys have suggested, but it does give me peace of mind to know the engine is all clean and sparkly on the inside.

The locking problem is partly sorted - the 'blipper' works fine but the key will only lock the doors - not unlock them. Hoping to get that sorted either this week or next. I think this was a separate problem, but I still have no idea why the 'blipper' suddenly stopped working and had to be reprogrammed.
Old 15th August 2011, 02:05 PM

I did tests on premium fuel years ago in Optimax times in Denmark with 1.8 Passat and 2.8 A6 and the end cost worked about the same as regular fuel, I have used Optimax and the V-Power since, have dot done any calculations at todays prices but when I took S8 heads off there was almost no carbon build up in compression chamber, never seen so clean before so yes it seems to keep it cleaner.

Now earlier this year I was visiting friend in near Rugby and almost run out of fuel, range meter showed 0. There was no Shells near so I filled up £40 worth of Tescos Premium 99 octane fuel whatever it is called. On the way home car was a bit more sluggish then normal and did need pressing accelerator more then usual and by the time I got home after 40 mile trip tank was almost empty again, £40 gave me around 60 miles while normally I would expect 120-130. Filled up with V-power and everything back to normal.

I am averaging 17mg in automatic and 18.5mpg in tiptronic in mostly short runs around the town.
Old 15th August 2011, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceBlue8 View Post
I know it's sad, but here we have a full year's worth of every single tank full of fuel logged against the actual mileage. So, if you have trouble sleeping.....
It may be sad, but I still looked, and then I used your pence per mile to figure out my total fuel cost since I bought my s8 from Ian - and it came out at £25,585 (and 11 pence...). Now that really is sad
Old 20th August 2011, 02:05 PM

How do you guys average so little MPG on a run?

i could average 20mpg if i was sat at 110mph.........
Old 20th August 2011, 05:18 PM

Mostly short runs around town to work and shops , lots of stop/start at lights and crossings, neither engine or gearbox gets up to temp most of the time and not hanging around so that's how I do it. On the long run I can get 24-25 @80mph, but average was 17-18mpg. Average has now creeped just over 19 as A6 is doing daily running and S8 only special occasions getting more of the longer runs.

2.8 A6 manual was doing 21mpg at the same conditions, 1.8 Freelander about the same and 2.5 TDI A6 quattro manual 33-34mpg
Old 20th August 2011, 06:03 PM

2.5tdi A8 delivers over 30mpg with lots of motorway at the speed limit and using Total Excellium
Old 20th August 2011, 07:46 PM

Well I am using cheap diesel from unknown source in cans for A6 and on the run it does 38-40mpg maybe more, locally 33-34 but it is manual unlike A8 , weight I believe is about the same. I would have expected a bit more mpg on 2.5TDI A8 maybe EGR or wastegate is sticking, I do feel like one of them is sticking on mine sometimes, I will do overhaul and most likely blank off EGR and delete function from ECU but I am leaving it for now until cambelt change, it is now at 154k miles and first change was done at 86k so looking to do change @160-170k
Old 21st August 2011, 08:20 AM

I'd be keen to improve. Excuse my ignorance - what's an EGR and can we easily live without it and what's the waste gate?

Last edited by christhompson; 21st August 2011 at 08:22 AM. Reason: add wastegate query