A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D4 > D4 - Wheels and Tyres

D4 - Wheels and Tyres Refurbing, center caps, tyre brands, tyrefitters - discuss it here

Old 24th March 2018, 12:53 PM

Default Space saver sanity check...

As I have one of those cheap & nasty space saver spares and what looks to be a set of wheels not fitted at the factory (although still genuine Audi OEM) I was wondering whether the space saver wheel/tyre combo was the correct match for my wheels in the event of an emergency.

On my 2014 SE Executive 4.2TDi A8L I have a set of 21x9J Audi 5-spoke Rotor alloys shod with 275/35 ZR21 103Y Dunlop SP Sport Maxx GT tyres.

The spare is a Continental T 145/80 R19 110M

Just checking to see if the rolling radius is the same and it is suitable for use albeit only up to 50mph.

Would it be worth putting some of that gummy stuff in the existing tyres that is supposed to seal leaks on the fly so as not to depend on the spacesaver?

Thanks & kind regards,
-=Glyn=-

Last edited by GlynH; 25th March 2018 at 06:04 PM.
Old 24th March 2018, 09:44 PM

There is a fair bit of rolling diameter difference 5%+ so not ideal but it's only for short term emergency use anyway and load rating is more than adequate so should be OK if you only need to use it for 10-20 miles unlike me who once did 500+ miles on space saver when tyre failed in Germany for me driving to Denmark with a Passat. I did not stcik to speed limit either and was doing 100 at parts of journey, space saver tyre was smoking and did not have any tread left at the end so they can take fair bit of abuse.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 26th March 2018, 05:05 AM

My missus' Volvo has a Continental emergency tyre inflation kit. No spare due to the R-Design dual exhaust.

I was dubious about the inflation kit, but we had to use it once after driving for about a mile with a flat tyre, reaching over 60kmh before realising something was up (rear nearside).
By the time I stopped, there were multiple holes and cracks in the tyre wall. It was stuffed due to the rim riding on the tyre wall.
I just let the inflation kit do it's thing (compressor with bottle of sealing compound attached). Pumped the tyre to the recommended psi (it was either over or under by about 20% on the instructions), then turned around and headed for the tyre shop (after dropping Mum and Bub at home). 80kmh no problem, though I think 60 might have been rated maximum speed.
New bottle from Volvo dealer $15...
I'm sold! But only when there's no room for a spare!

Marty

Replacement head coming arrived thanks to MJ
Silver with Black interior. All features as the '01, with the 'S' mode auto shifter. Dodgey rear tint (need to find a way to get rid of that).
Family:
2009 Volvo XC90 V8 R Design
- has a louder more obnoxious exhaust than the S8, sounds great! Love this thing - Q7 was double the price, and certainly not double the car!

Sold:
1997 Audi A4
- Hamilton's Club Sport, Achat Grey (will miss the old girl)
Old 6th December 2018, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainarssems View Post
there is a fair bit of rolling diameter difference 5%+ so not ideal but it's only for short term emergency use anyway and load rating is more than adequate so should be ok if you only need to use it for 10-20 miles unlike me who once did 500+ miles on space saver when tyre failed in germany for me driving to denmark with a passat. I did not stcik to speed limit either and was doing 100 at parts of journey, space saver tyre was smoking and did not have any tread left at the end so they can take fair bit of abuse.
legend!!!

2007 Mini Cooper S R56

2008 D3, gone, but not forgotten after 9 years and 90k.
Old 7th December 2018, 01:29 PM

Trouble with a proper spare is it probably won’t fit under the boot floor carpet.
It’ll take up a lot of boot space.
A D4 already has quite a small boot if you’ve come from a D3.

I’d go with a repair kit if you’re concerned but TPMS usually gives lots of warning if you’ve picked up a nail etc.
Old 6th December 2018, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlynH View Post
As I have one of those cheap & nasty space saver spares and what looks to be a set of wheels not fitted at the factory (although still genuine Audi OEM) I was wondering whether the space saver wheel/tyre combo was the correct match for my wheels in the event of an emergency.

On my 2014 SE Executive 4.2TDi A8L I have a set of 21x9J Audi 5-spoke Rotor alloys shod with 275/35 ZR21 103Y Dunlop SP Sport Maxx GT tyres.

The spare is a Continental T 145/80 R19 110M

Just checking to see if the rolling radius is the same and it is suitable for use albeit only up to 50mph.

Would it be worth putting some of that gummy stuff in the existing tyres that is supposed to seal leaks on the fly so as not to depend on the spacesaver?

Thanks & kind regards,
-=Glyn=-
Guys, I know this is 6 months later but for anyone who reads this [as I have just done, as I have one of those spares too ], this is what I found in the Audi Tyre Guide.

There are only two space saver wheel / tyre 'combos' for the D4 even though it may have up to 5 different wheel sizes [17-21]:

5J x 19 - 145/80 19
5J x 20 - 165/60 20

But there's no info. about which one is used for a particular 'rest of car' fit.

Logically these must all be interchangeable 'diameter wise' so they're both 'suitable' even if you've got 21s on the car like Glyn. [Mine are factory fit 20s and myspace saver is a Continental T 145/80 R19 110M too].

Tyre pressure for these space savers is specced at 4.2 Bar which is about 60 PSI.

Personally, I'm thinking about buying a proper alloy wheel/tyre pair so that I can run with a 'proper' set of tyres in the event of damage.

Julian

Audi A8 3.0TDI MY2005 in Midnight Blue. Gone since 2018, after 10 years!

Last edited by JulianHicks; 6th December 2018 at 01:25 PM.