A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Motoring > VCDS (aka Vagcom)

VCDS (aka Vagcom) For all your electronic debug / diag advice queries and mods.

Old 27th April 2016, 12:54 PM

The Dongle won't work with VAGCOM because the vagcom licencing won't let it and RossTech are very agressive at protecting their property which is why even the expensive (£50) clone cables only work with a fixed version of the software as every update they kill off any copy cables.

There's little point in having the ODB11 app working with a £300 cable and besides the ODB11 people want you to buy their bit of hardware as well as the pro licence.

Oh and DON'T leave the dongle in the car fitted all the time, use it and remove it to the glove box / ash tray when done.

Lee
Old 8th May 2016, 04:21 PM

Default My OBDeleven dongle arived yesterday

Installed it in my A8L today and spent a wonderful half hour going through codings etc. I now have the auto-door lock function enabled for the central locking. Previous value was 13130, to which I simply added the value of 32 to make it 13162. The feeling of satisfaction was immense, I'm sorry to say/admit. It also unlocks the doors on ignition off.

The app itself has revealed a few electrical maladies too, namely the usual flap motors for the climate control as well as spurious values from the rear headlight-levelling sensor.

I thoroughly recommend this OBDeleven dongle/app - my ELM237 OBDII blue dongle is no longer used.
Old 12th August 2016, 11:19 AM

Got myself an OBDeleven last week - Im a total A8 noob (only had my car a couple of weeks) and am no expert on VCDS so I cant compare the 2 very well, but so far Im rather pleased with it.

Id be grateful if anyone has any tips on how to use it, what coding tweaks can be made, etc, etc.

Does anyone know if the suspension height calibration (module 34 apparently) can be done with this unit?

One thing I will say is to echo what Moltuae and Ulfilias have said - once its in its a complete pig to get out! I chopped the ends off a cable tie and superglued it to the case to make a handle - much easier now.
Old 8th November 2016, 08:16 PM

So - took the plunge and bought one as my airbag light came on and MOT due next week
I know why it came on but wanted to verify and then clear the fault - which it did so all good.

Will get to play with it a bit more over the coming weeks but so far - good for the price

Current cars:

BMW i4 M-Sport

Peugeot 207 (the sons)

Triumph Daytona 675 (2017 reg)

===========================

Gone but not forgotten

Ford Focus ST-2 Mk3 (the wifes) (stolen Oct 2023)

1972 T2 Bay Window Camper (Slow)

Audi TT Mk1 225 - now with coil-overs and a 7inch touchscreen infotainment centre

2003 A8 Sport 4.2 (with ACC & LPG) (Feed up with all the issues so passed it on to a forum member)

2000 A8 FL QS 4.2 (with RNS-E - Nice) (Engine poorly so sold on to be brought back by someone who has the time)
Old 11th November 2016, 11:55 AM

Oodoom - Suspension height is quite complex, though in theory i can't see why it couldn't be done. You'd have to work through the ross tech stuff and use the code numbers documenting the proceedure etc as there isn't an "easy" follow through thing on the odb11 but I believe it's fully functional in what it does, so you can code anything in theory....Personally having done it, i'd be tempted with a hard coded ~£50 vagcom lead (you can only use the version of software it came with and upgrading kills the lead and it's a dodgy / risky (as in no support etc))....Or the full version!
Old 22nd November 2016, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_quattro View Post
Installed it in my A8L today and spent a wonderful half hour going through codings etc. I now have the auto-door lock function enabled for the central locking. Previous value was 13130, to which I simply added the value of 32 to make it 13162. The feeling of satisfaction was immense, I'm sorry to say/admit. It also unlocks the doors on ignition off.

The app itself has revealed a few electrical maladies too, namely the usual flap motors for the climate control as well as spurious values from the rear headlight-levelling sensor.

I thoroughly recommend this OBDeleven dongle/app - my ELM237 OBDII blue dongle is no longer used.
Sounds like you have also enabled anti hijack locks over 15mph and unlocks when key is removed

Should be able to code alarm cherp as well for doors lock
Mercedes Benz CLS 500 - Sold
Corsa VXR Nurburgring - Sold
RS6 Avant Grey - Sold
Seat Leon Cupra R - Sold
Old 17th April 2018, 11:48 AM

Hi There,

This is getting to be quite a useful tool, with lots of options and development going on.

Also found this youtube channel from the stateside distributor, while it's aimed at more average cars, there's a lot of info on how it works and so forth

https://www.youtube.com/user/Deutsch...able_polymer=1

Previous :
1998 S8 PF 4.2 V8 D2 - Gearbox died ~120k
2002 S8 FL 4.2 40v V8 D2 Prins LPG - Engine valves met pistons ~230K

Also :
1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0l (Post Apocalyptic makeover)
2003 Brabus Smart FourTwo (should sell)
2003 Mazda Rx8 2.3 (might sell)
Old 5th September 2018, 04:37 PM

Hi There,

Was just searching the net in regards to a Bosch ABS module flashing and came across someone recommending Carista - It's an app on Android and iPhone

Has a week £8.99 paid thing or Thirty something a year. However the Bluetooth dongle is only £19.99 *OR* and this is the bit that piqued my interest it works with ELM adaptors too.

I've an old VGATE bluetooth dongle which I used for Torque and a few other bits on my RX8 and if you've played with Car dongles in the last few years then you've probably got one and it's worth a play.

The Vgate one worked and it's a nice APP. There's three functions. Check Faults, Diagnose and Customise.
They're a bit slow as in a couple of minutes as it accesses each module and it doesn't really give you control like ODB11 or VCDS etc

However it read the fault codes. Got 44 for mine which seemed high compared with the other tools, but the they're locked in terms of obviscated numbers and clearing costs.

Customise gave things on lights, locking options (indicators, beep, double press(free)), Menu options and Nav eject - They were on / off options, nice dumb and easy to do rather than coding numbers or changing bits, which I see useful to people that VCDS scares. Also if you've got a dongle you can see what you have / can do without purchase

Service allowed you to reset the service indicators, there also seemed to be a readiness check and clear (free). There was a parking brake option, but it had lots of warnings and to be honest i'd probably grab something else. But it *MAY* be useful.

All in quite impressed for user interface and really low cost of entry.

https://caristaapp.com/

Previous :
1998 S8 PF 4.2 V8 D2 - Gearbox died ~120k
2002 S8 FL 4.2 40v V8 D2 Prins LPG - Engine valves met pistons ~230K

Also :
1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0l (Post Apocalyptic makeover)
2003 Brabus Smart FourTwo (should sell)
2003 Mazda Rx8 2.3 (might sell)
Old 23rd September 2018, 09:47 AM

Hi.
I've read with interest your informative write ups on the 'obdeleven' and the 'carista'.
Did you buy the latter too?
I only use the laptop VCDS and, being a copy, it does crash out occasionally on my D3.

I was just about to go for the OBDELEVEN, until I saw your link to the $20 Bluetooth adapter.
Being an OBD numpty, I'm not familiar with the apps you've mentioned it works with, so does that mean you don't have to subscribe to their $40 per annum service (which to be fair isn't too costly)?

I confess to being an Apple sheep 'baaaaaaah'

Thanks, Chris
My pride and joy - 1991 ur 20v quattro (owned since 2003).
BMW 645 (Need to sell now I have 2 A8s....)
Previous cars
A8 D4 4.2tdi lwb (2011)
A4 cab 3.0 Quattro petrol (2005)
T5 Caravelle exec 2.5 (2006)
A8 D2 3.7 quattro sport (2001)
A8 D3 4.2 quattro (2003)
A6 4.2 quattro avant (1999)
A6 2.8 quattro (1998)
Audi Coupe 2.6E (1993)
Carlton 3.0 GSI
Old 23rd September 2018, 11:08 AM

I have not used Carista but have seen a lot of good comments about it.I don't think it can do as much as VCDS but is better than the cheap OBD adaptors.
2008 (facelift) S8 with B&O, ACC, glass sunroof, reversing camera, front and rear heated seats, ceramic brakes, homelink, electric side and rear blinds, ski load through, heated fan washer jets, remote boot closing, de-flapped manifold, fridge, umbrella holder