A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > IT, AV and other Tech

IT, AV and other Tech All computing, home cinema and technology that isnt car related

Old 14th December 2017, 11:56 AM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delboy View Post
If you have a spare 2 hours you may find it interesting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sOxtBiBpE4&t=2107s
Thanks

I think I started watching that interview a while ago then forgot about it.

I could watch Andreas' talks and interviews all day long if I had the time. It was nice to hear about the overwhelming support and donations he received recently; I think he thoroughly deserved it.

I think I've mentioned this one a few times previously but it's well worth watching if you haven't yet seen it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuoE5CXlIdY
It's the London Real interview from January of this year. You'll need to register with London Real to watch the second half but it's free to register and watch and they do interview a lot of interesting/inspirational people.
------------------------------------------------------

Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust
Old 14th December 2017, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moltuae View Post
It's the London Real interview from January of this year. You'll need to register with London Real to watch the second half but it's free to register and watch and they do interview a lot of interesting/inspirational people.
I watched / listened to that the other night. Definitely interesting. I've watched quite a few of his things now. Will have a listen to that Joe Rogan one as i've heard mention of it. Nice to see the comunity support one of it's biggest stars too. Must admit i expected him to be pretty wealthy. It makes it all the more interesting that he wasn't pushing things to make money, but he genuinely believed in it

I've played with powerline and they're useful. I'm generally not a huge Wifi fan and prefer a wired connection if possible, but no obvious cable route for that. I'm going to have another play with one of these at work as i've two factories next to each other and that won't powerline. Shame!

Advantage of using a wifi booster/adapter in the garage is it'll give better network coverage in the kitchen next to it for my Echo and when the GF is over who has an older phone without unlimited data

Previous :
1998 S8 PF 4.2 V8 D2 - Gearbox died ~120k
2002 S8 FL 4.2 40v V8 D2 Prins LPG - Engine valves met pistons ~230K

Also :
1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0l (Post Apocalyptic makeover)
2003 Brabus Smart FourTwo (should sell)
2003 Mazda Rx8 2.3 (might sell)
Old 14th December 2017, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulfilias View Post
I'm generally not a huge Wifi fan and prefer a wired connection if possible, but no obvious cable route for that.
A wired connection is always the best option, if practical. And, for my business customers, wired Ethernet is always my first choice. When a wired connection is not possible, my second choice would be powerline adaptors and WiFi last. For the latter, UniFi make what are probably the best business-grade wireless access points you can buy. A single UniFi Pro WAP will easily cover most houses, but you can add a second or third unit if you want consistent coverage without any cold-spots. If it's difficult/impractical to run an Ethernet cable out to the UniFi WAPs, you can plug them into powerline adaptors instead (I have a few installations like this and it works quite well).

Powerline adaptors will only work on the same electrical phase so it can be a problem getting them to work in factories, where it's common to have multiple phases. If the individual phases come together at some point, such as at an electrical distribution board, you can use multiple powerline adaptors to 'step across' the phases. What you essentially have to do it create a link, using two additional powerline adaptors, with an ethernet cable between them -- one adaptor plugged into one of the phases and the second adaptor on the other.

Cars Owned:
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust
Old 14th December 2017, 01:44 PM

I am using WiFi extender in garage as well, the plan is to get ethernet cable there but when I was going to do it I got sidetracked with other things and had to come up with something fast. I have old WiFi router connected to extender with Ethernet cable and just using it as a switch without NAT and WiFi as I could not find 8 port switch I have lying around somwhere. Then 2x L3+'s and D3 plugged in that router. I did some speed testing on speedtest.net and I get the maximum line speed the same as if I plugged in main router, for me it's ~38Mbps, latency to the nearest test server suffers a bit 16ms instead of 12ms, but all the mining pools have over 50ms anyway so while there is a higher possibility of submitting old/stale share in real world it would be very rare.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 14th December 2017, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Thanks

I think I started watching that interview a while ago then forgot about it.

I could watch Andreas' talks and interviews all day long if I had the time. It was nice to hear about the overwhelming support and donations he received recently; I think he thoroughly deserved it.

I think I've mentioned this one a few times previously but it's well worth watching if you haven't yet seen it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuoE5CXlIdY
Thats a fantastic interview and a real eye opener

Old 16th December 2017, 11:22 AM

Good (video) interview with the Winklevoss twins ...

Bitcoin battle: Winklevoss twins vs. JPMorgan CEO Jamie Dimon
Link: http://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/2...mie-dimon.html

Cars Owned:

Old 16th December 2017, 12:14 PM

Those of you that have ordered from bitmain before what carrier did you use and what happened when it arrived, did you get vat and stuff to deal with.

I'm not looking to avoid anything just need to know what happens?

Thanks

Old 16th December 2017, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delboy View Post
Those of you that have ordered from bitmain before what carrier did you use and what happened when it arrived, did you get vat and stuff to deal with.

I'm not looking to avoid anything just need to know what happens?

Thanks
The past few times I've chosen UPS. The UPS tracking info will state that there is duty to pay (which seems to be about equal to what you'd expect to pay in VAT, ie 20%). If you've ordered an Antminer and a power supply, you'll usually have a separate tracking number for each and two separate duty payments to make.

You may find that you can't pay the duty until the items land in the UK. Airnars registered with UPS and was able to pay the duty earlier in the shipping processes but that didn't work for me, maybe because I didn't register until after UPS had received the packages.

If you don't pay the duty before delivery is attempted, you'll need to phone UPS and make the payment while the driver waits, which can take a while. I usually phone UPS on the morning of the delivery, to avoid making the driver wait, giving them both of the tracking numbers. I think 8.00am is the earliest you can phone (you could try the day before, but if you phone them before it's in the UK they'll tell you they can't raise the duty invoice yet). They should inform the driver that you've paid but they'll give you an authorisation code for each package that you can give to the driver in case he hasn't received notification that you've paid.

The number to call is: 03457 877 877

Cars Owned:

Last edited by moltuae; 16th December 2017 at 01:43 PM.
Old 16th December 2017, 01:54 PM

Quote:
The past few times I've chosen UPS. The UPS tracking info will state that there is duty to pay (which seems to be about equal to what you'd expect to pay in VAT, ie 20%). If you've ordered an Antminer and a power supply, you'll usually have a separate tracking number for each and two separate duty payments to make.

You may find that you can't pay the duty until the items land in the UK. Airnars registered with UPS and was able to pay the duty earlier in the shipping processes but that didn't work for me, maybe because I didn't register until after UPS had received the packages.

If you don't pay the duty before delivery is attempted, you'll need to phone UPS and make the payment while the driver waits, which can take a while. I usually phone UPS on the morning of the delivery, to avoid making the driver wait, giving them both of the tracking numbers. I think 8.00am is the earliest you can phone (you could try the day before, but if you phone them before it's in the UK they'll tell you they can't raise the duty invoice yet). They should inform the driver that you've paid but they'll give you an authorisation code for each package that you can give to the driver in case he hasn't received notification that you've paid.

The number to call is: 03457 877 877

Thanks, Just what i needed to know.

Last edited by Delboy; 17th December 2017 at 12:37 PM.
Old 16th December 2017, 06:09 PM

Brilliant new talk from Andreas.

Anyone relatively new to cryptocurrencies will certainly relate to this ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCVaabu3J04

Cars Owned: