A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 15th May 2014, 09:37 AM

Default Advice needed

So, car is going to the body shop next Monday for a re-spray.
This will involve stripping bumpers etc.
Over past few months there was few issues where people had to replace parking sensors after garage boys were taking bumper off and disconnecting wires.
Scott just few days ago broke his boot motor while disconnecting plugs in order to remove rear bumper (this will be needed on my car as well).
Plus some other random issues, mainly electronics.

What precaution should I and the garage take in order to avoid any or as little as possible issues??
I assume disconnect the battery straight away (that was causing some kessy and other access issues on other cars).

How does disconnecting battery relates to moving car around the garage??

Anything else you can think off???
I'd like to avoid any issues week before Annual Meet as I'll be busy as hell anyway, plus I'll be financially drained after Annual Meet prep works

THANK YOU Guys

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Ceramic Brakes, Bang&Olufsen, DTV, DAB, Rear Camera, BT, TPMS, Soft Close, Auto Boot, AMI , 4 Zone AC, Home Link, All Electric Blinds, Fingerprint, Ski Hatch, Black Extended Leather, Heated Sport Seats, Alacantra, Carbon Trim inc Aluminium Pack 2.
2015 A3 S line 1.4 TFSI - for the missus to keep her away from my car.
Standard S-line equipment, no extras.
2006 D3 A8 3.7 V8 - SOLD but not forgotten
Old 15th May 2014, 10:01 AM

Assuming it will be stored in side and not going out at all.
I would open all windows, unlock all doors and put it in N.
Then remove the battery.

Make sure the alarm is deactivated or it will sound (as I found out).

I've not removed the front bumper yet, so I'd be interested to see what people says about that as I got a horn to fix.

As for the rear, I would remove both rear lights (I would assume they would be coming out any way for painting).
Its up to you and not fully needed I don't think but when undoing the bumper guides from the either side, I found it easier to remove the tech on the left hand side and the soft close module (I think that's it) on the right hand side.
It gave you better access and view of what the guides are doing.

I would go carefull when undoing the guides, as I found out my right hand side one had the teeth snapped off. Not sure if they was doing it up to tight or undoing it but that's something you don't want to replace. I'm not looking forward to replacing mine, it appears to be a full strip of the battery compartment and bumper off again.

Don't forget there is also 2 10mm bolts holding the bumper in as well as the big loom/plug on the right hand side that you need to unplug for the bumper electrics.

They will be removing trim for the bumper?
This is fairly easy, plastic trim tool and gently prise the clips down but some will undoubtedly break. with that off, its only 3 Torx screws that needs removing and the chrome strip will come off.
There is 3 torx screws behind each wheel (I had 2) and 4 torx under the bumper near the spare wheel well.
With all the screws removed you will need to unclip the lower part of the bumper from the body, this was fairly easy and not dramas.

With the bumper guides when you undo them (long allen key the better) that can take a bit of time to unwind and the guides might not drop down straight away. This will cause the bolt to lift up away from the gear that you are turning. My guide needed a little love tap every now and then to help release the bumper and keep the cogs together.

If I think of anything else I'll let you know.
Soft close Doors & Boot, Electric Blinds, Keyless Entry & Start, Bluetooth HandFree, Quad Zone Climate, APS+, 3 Spoke Sports Tiptronic Multi Function Steering Wheel, Heated Seats All Round, Black Leather Comfort Seats, AMI, Sunroof, Drivers & Passenger Electric Memory Seats, Auto Dimming Mirrors, Bi-Xenons AFS2, Dab, Digital TV, Reversing Camera, AV Inputs, Fridge, Solar Roof, TPMS, facelift rear lights, 3G, remote boot closure, Tow Bar.
Old 15th May 2014, 08:14 PM

Scott, THANK YOU !!!

Am I remember this well, you disconnect the battery by the battery management module (-), not the actual battery right??

Not sure if leaving all the windows open is a good idea in the body shop by the way

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Ceramic Brakes, Bang&Olufsen, DTV, DAB, Rear Camera, BT, TPMS, Soft Close, Auto Boot, AMI , 4 Zone AC, Home Link, All Electric Blinds, Fingerprint, Ski Hatch, Black Extended Leather, Heated Sport Seats, Alacantra, Carbon Trim inc Aluminium Pack 2.
Old 15th May 2014, 08:38 PM

No your best leaving the ignition on and pull the neg terminal off the battery.

Old 15th May 2014, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delboy View Post
No your best leaving the ignition on and pull the neg terminal off the battery.

Really??? so car still will be operative but it wont mess up any electronics (safe to unplug connectors, ignition off then of course??
Can you start car with neg terminal off the battery??

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Old 16th May 2014, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-A8 View Post
Can you start car with neg terminal off the battery??
I very much doubt it!
2000 FL D2 4.2 QS - SOLD 2011

Old 16th May 2014, 06:40 AM

No the car will be electrically isolated, the reason for leaving the ignition on is to discharge residual power from modules.

It's probably not needed but it is a recommendation if you are going to work on the airbag systems.

Also it may prevent the steering lock engaging which may come in handy if they need to move the car around.

Old 16th May 2014, 08:10 AM

Can't really offer any useful advice Marcin, but I shall look forward to seeing the photos!
Old 16th May 2014, 08:40 AM

Just curious, where are you taking it to?
I'm going to try KDS to take care of some scratches that are down to the white undercoat.
http://www.kdskeltec.co.uk/
Old 16th May 2014, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-A8 View Post
Not sure if leaving all the windows open is a good idea in the body shop by the way
They should cover the windows up to stop crap from going in the car.

I'm paranoid of the car locking itself or not being able to get in, happened a few times to me so now I always leave the windows open when working on the car.

I'm to big now to break into cars via the ski hatch and I hate smashing windows.

I'd go with Delboy on unplugging the battery.
I did mine the other way first and everything went mental.

The car would not start properly with the push button and all sorts.
Soft close Doors & Boot, Electric Blinds, Keyless Entry & Start, Bluetooth HandFree, Quad Zone Climate, APS+, 3 Spoke Sports Tiptronic Multi Function Steering Wheel, Heated Seats All Round, Black Leather Comfort Seats, AMI, Sunroof, Drivers & Passenger Electric Memory Seats, Auto Dimming Mirrors, Bi-Xenons AFS2, Dab, Digital TV, Reversing Camera, AV Inputs, Fridge, Solar Roof, TPMS, facelift rear lights, 3G, remote boot closure, Tow Bar.