A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Old 11th July 2013, 07:43 PM

Default Creaking noise front suspension

I have been reading into this for a bit, but can only find info about creaking suspension when cold.

Mine ('97 2.8 Sport) is quite the opposite - the hotter it gets, the louder it gets. To a stage where people actually look up to see where the sound comes from when I pass at 30mph

I've had a little poke about a few days ago, but can't find any obvious play in any of the arms/bushes - except maybe the drop links were a little too easy to move. I sprayed every bush/joint with silicone spray and that cured the issue for about a day.

Any ideas?
Old 15th July 2013, 06:36 AM

Spraying them with some juice obviously stopped the creaking even if it was short so i'm going with old dry rubber bushes. Time for new arms?

Bright yellow bus o love.
Old 15th July 2013, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post
Spraying them with some juice obviously stopped the creaking even if it was short so i'm going with old dry rubber bushes. Time for new arms?
1 of the 2 upper arms has recently been renewed. It might well be that the other one is making the noise now. I saw you can get separate bushes for these arms. Are they easy to replace or do I need an hydraulic press?

I'm also leaning towards the ball joint of the track rod end. On full lock (left and right) there is no creaking at all
Old 15th July 2013, 03:43 PM

You'll need a press to get them out and to be honest unless you have one and want to play and change them yourself it isn't really worth it. You can buy arms from loads of places, have a search on here in the suspension area.

I used ebay and had a full set for under £150 but £500 will buy Melye arms, second set since owning the car and i would think the last now. Depending how many free beans you have in your pocket at the time i suppose, i wouldn't change 1 or 2 you'll need a 4 way alignment everytime and could end up chasing the next arm.

Bright yellow bus o love.
Old 16th July 2013, 07:01 PM

I have found the noisy part. It's the lower arm. The one where the drop link is fitted to.

Copper greased moving parts and the noise was gone for about 30 minutes.

I guess new arms are required. There is no play at all in the bush though and the rubber doesn't look bad or dry. I just hope new arms will cure the creak.......