A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Body and Exterior

D2 - Body and Exterior Bumpers, bonnets, glass, trims - Everything outside

Old 10th September 2013, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goran View Post
Thats useful info Sergey, thanks. Not good news for me, I intended to get a lithium battery but it looks like it is expecting to see 14V+, not sure its going to be happy with 13.8V
http://www.voltphreaks.com/technologydir.php
Goran,

CTEK (world leader in changing technology) has a beautiful charger for Li batteries: http://www.ctek.com/gb/en/chargers/LITHIUM%20XS

Unfortunately CTEK don't manufacture in-car charges yet. It'd be great to investigate if we can provide a 220v in-car socket for that charger that switches on only while engine is running.

I haven't forgotten you're obsessed about car weight, but I'm not
Old 10th September 2013, 07:05 PM

Thanks Sergei, I like CTEK too I have the 7.0 which is only for lead-acid.

Maybe I could use this little charger I use for my planes

Kidding aside, I think I should be ok, the Voltphreaks battery is very clever and can be charged with a lead-acid charger, I can just use the one I have.

I still need to check the voltage at the battery of my new car, maybe its ok, if not I will need to get an adjustable voltage regulator.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LipoCardII.jpg
Views:	900
Size:	217.3 KB
ID:	6618  
Old 11th September 2013, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notorious View Post
/

** Question for everyone***

New A6s, A8s and Q7s all come with "Battery Control ECU". Do we know what exactly that thing is doing and designed for? Is is possible to configure it to charge battery with specific voltage? If yes, I want to retrofit it!
I'm just guessing here, but the guy at the local workshop I used told me lots of stuff when it comes to how charging is done on newer cars. It could be that this unit senses the voltage at the battery pole and connects to the Canbus. He told me that some alternators (Valeo e.g) would subscribe to battery voltage through Canbus.

He also told me that Volvo, most Japanese cars and many american cars these days have external sensing (by wire).
Old 11th September 2013, 05:31 PM

Going back to the original heated windscreen post, I was interested to see that Nighttrain had a quickclear REAR windscreen on his PF S8 when we met up this week and wonder if anybody knows if this was standard or an option? certainly looks nicer than the normal heavy lines across a standard rear windscreen except that there didnt seem to be any rear tinting to the glass at all. I wondered how many were fitted if standard and to what years and specs of cars. . . . anybody know?

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs
Old 11th September 2013, 08:34 PM

My PF had a quickclear style rear screen... Pretty sure it was on all the PF's I checked...

I know.. I know..

Old 11th September 2013, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcHe View Post
Pretty sure it was on all the PF's I checked..
And I'm fairly sure not on mine, but IT can confirm, he has it now.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 17th September 2013, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IT View Post

Its in the boot to connect directly to the battery, so lord only knows how much current that thing drains !!
I've been thinking about the sidewall/cover. I guess if you retrofit you can cut the existing sidewall?
Old 18th September 2013, 12:05 AM

Yes, you can retrofit door/cover.

There are two options: 1. flat side cover that requires battery cover with two holes. 2. Side cover with bulge for 110ah battery and it requires special 'carpet element' with two holes. Search for '110ah battery' on this forum and you'll see some detail.
Old 19th February 2021, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notorious View Post
Yes, you can retrofit door/cover.

There are two options: 1. flat side cover that requires battery cover with two holes. 2. Side cover with bulge for 110ah battery and it requires special 'carpet element' with two holes. Search for '110ah battery' on this forum and you'll see some detail.
Apologies for the thread resuscitation.

Notorious...I'm just wondering if you have ran into any issues since you did the retrofit? This winter was my first actual experience with a heated windscreen with my 2012 Range Rover Autobiography, and I loved it!!! I was driving with ice falling at a pretty strong rate to the point that my wipers were not doing a good enough job with the ice and my windshield started freezing affecting visibility. I turned on the heated windscreen option and it solved that problem. Yes, you could always just crank the regular heat and aim the hot air to the windscreen....but if you have the option available, why not retrofit!

I'm planning to do that next time I need a windshield in either of my s8's.
BMW 850i - Red 6speed
BMW 850Csi - Red 6speed
Ford Thunderbird x 3 Supercharged & 5speeds
Mustang convertible
Range Rover Autobiography - BRG/English Tan
Old 19th February 2021, 09:44 PM

Alas we no longer have the option - there are no heated screens left as Audi stopped producing them long ago, and it is prohibitively expensive to have them custom-made