A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > IT, AV and other Tech

IT, AV and other Tech All computing, home cinema and technology that isnt car related

Old 29th December 2017, 01:39 PM

Hi There,

Just got the S9 and PSU from a lady down the road in a factory that was open over Christmas....Expecting it in July I sent it to work as I do most my post!

The DHL delivery guy was a complete star finding someone to leave them with

Interestingly the box has details for tax purposes, but they don't say dollars until you unfold the document. I do wonder if the value is calculated by customs in pounds or dollars!!!

I've paid the amounts online. But i've yet to see a breakdown of anything, Just an amount.

$1586 for an L3+ on Bitmain today....Even just importing and reselling these things could be a good boost!

Previous :
1998 S8 PF 4.2 V8 D2 - Gearbox died ~120k
2002 S8 FL 4.2 40v V8 D2 Prins LPG - Engine valves met pistons ~230K

Also :
1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0l (Post Apocalyptic makeover)
2003 Brabus Smart FourTwo (should sell)
2003 Mazda Rx8 2.3 (might sell)
Old 29th December 2017, 01:47 PM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulfilias View Post
$1586 for an L3+ on Bitmain today....Even just importing and reselling these things could be a good boost!
I think there's definitely money to be made importing and selling them. Tempted to buy a few more even though I'm running out of places to put them now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainarssems View Post
Played around with one of my RX580 cards, the one I got from Amazon for £102. In stock form it was doing about 540H/s CryptoNight, overclocked 610H/s, now with modded BIOS 830H/s and at lower power consumption and temperature. Need to find time to mod rest of my RX5**, RX4** cards, most of them are already modded for ETH and already have increased performance for CryptoNight 700-800H/s but this could potentially be increased further and some cards are not modded at all yet.
That's a pretty decent performance boost. I might try that on one of my RX480 cards. Where did you get the modded BIOS from?
------------------------------------------------------

Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust
Old 29th December 2017, 04:18 PM

Quote:
That's a pretty decent performance boost. I might try that on one of my RX480 cards. Where did you get the modded BIOS from?
I Just searched on google using model number and memory as they can come with Samsung, Hynix or Elpida( and possibly others??) You have to get BIOS for right memory otherwise you will brick the card but it's not too hard to recover if you do, I have done it and recovered successfully. You can also modify your own BIOS copying memory timings from slower speed strap to higher but you get better results from custom tuned files. I could get exact part number to matchfor this card so GUI ATIflash refused to flash new BIOS and had to do it with CMD ATIWinflash, there is a higher risk of bricking it if the part numbers don't match exactly but generally are OK as long as it's same model e.g Sapphire Pulse RX580 4GB and same memory- Elpida in this case. Generally Samsung memory respond best to mods but I had one card with Samsung memory that would not be stable with any BIOS mods. Hynix usually are not that great and Elpida is more case of the luck could be great or could be poor. You can also buy modded BIOSes on e-bay where you send yours and they send you back modded file but not sure if it is worth it.

There is good collection of modded BIOSes here : https://anorak.tech/c/downloads and more on their forum.

Average hashrate on this one is 841H/s now after couple of hours

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure

Last edited by ainarssems; 29th December 2017 at 04:25 PM.
Old 29th December 2017, 05:49 PM

Great. Thanks

Cars Owned:
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust
Old 29th December 2017, 07:41 PM

Is that from a 4GB card? Whats the power consumption like at that rate?

Half the hashes of a Vega for half the price makes it quite interesting if it only uses half the power too. They're certainly easier to get hold of.
Old 29th December 2017, 08:09 PM

Hi there,

S9 installed in my Garage for testing, it's internal with a solid door to the house, but compared with my S7 it's quite a bit noisier and the bios is a lot less flexible. Also takes a lot longer to boot up, to the point that I thought initially it was broken!!!

Hashing 13.6-13.9Th/s so i'm fairly happy there. 72, 66, 70 on temps and fans at 4560 & 4200....My s7 was 66 and ~2500 on the fans, but you could tweak the frequency and the fan speeds a touch

Tempted to point it at BCH on viaBTC rather than BTC on Slushpool as my two card S7 has been doing nicely on that and it's a daily payout!

I've also switched onto Trezarcoin - TZC on my 4x 970 rig as much that I like ETN it's been ranking lower and lower on what to mine and i've 1,979 from the last month or whatever it is.....TZC should give a good return of coins a day ~50 at a slightly higher price of 0.8ish....bit lower on the coin cap, bit i like the wallet!

Previous :

Also :
Old 29th December 2017, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
Is that from a 4GB card? Whats the power consumption like at that rate?

Half the hashes of a Vega for half the price makes it quite interesting if it only uses half the power too. They're certainly easier to get hold of.
Yes, it's this one to be exact and I only paid £102 for it https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The plus with Vegas is that you can get more hashrate per slot so more per motherboard and reduce your footprint and motherboard/CPU/RAM/HDD costs.

Powerwise I have not measured but GPUz reports about 150W stock,120W with WattMan tweaks on ETH and I did not check CryptoNight but should be about 25-35% lower and now it's like the picture below

Edit

I messed it up the cheap one from Amazon was actually 8GB and I have not modified it yet as the rig it's in is almost always rented out. The 4GB version I modified was actually rather more expensive @ £239 and is this one https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SnipImage.jpg
Views:	483
Size:	125.1 KB
ID:	17670  

8 history:

Last edited by ainarssems; 29th December 2017 at 09:39 PM.
Old 29th December 2017, 09:29 PM

Also helped my friend to setup one of his S9 he received using TeamViewer so he is up and running now but it's a bit noisy, does not bother him too much but he is only renting a room in house so worried about neighbours. It's running on NiceHash atm for simplicity and earning about £25/day. On the plus side he does not have to pay for electricity but not sure how long that would last. Originally he bought them mostly for reselling but now looking at options to running them for himself including temporarily hosting them at my place until I expand my operations to the point where I exhaust my power supply and at rather favourable terms to me. I considered buying them off him @ around £3k each but since the prices have gone up on e-bay he wants £4.5-5k each now, cheeky bugger since they only cost him about £3.5k for both and It's just because of me that he bought them and I did pretty much all the work with him just suppluying the money. I think it's rather expensive but I also saw some bid up to £7.2k on e-bay. If anybody wants one in £4.5-5k range let me know I will pass it on to my friend and possibly earn a bit of commission for myself

8 history:
Old 30th December 2017, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulfilias View Post
Hi there,

S9 installed in my Garage for testing, it's internal with a solid door to the house, but compared with my S7 it's quite a bit noisier and the bios is a lot less flexible. Also takes a lot longer to boot up, to the point that I thought initially it was broken!!!
The S9 is a bit noisier than some of the other Antminers and it does seem to take a little longer to boot. There's also very little in the way of configuration options. I think some of the very early batches of S9s enabled things like clock frequency and fan speeds to be adjusted, but those settings were removed in later batches, for whatever reason. The S9 does seem to be an extremely robust and reliable unit though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainarssems View Post
I considered buying them off him @ around £3k each but since the prices have gone up on e-bay he wants £4.5-5k each now, cheeky bugger since they only cost him about £3.5k for both and It's just because of me that he bought them and I did pretty much all the work with him just suppluying the money.

You should invoice him for your time and offer to waive the invoice for an equivalent discount on an S9

Cars Owned:

Old 30th December 2017, 11:18 AM

Hi there,

Looking back at my details. I paid £1378 to Bittylicious for 1.4 BCH which got an S9+PSU+shipping and a little change left in BCH, then £288+£35, so a little under £1700 all in. OK....It felt dodgy as hell, but wowzers what a price!!!

Quick and dirty calcs on viaBTC with BCH gives 0.4BCH a month at ~£1900 gives an ROI in under two months, even with electricity prices of about £100 a month!

The advantage of BCH is that it's also Bitmains current choice

There's a definite argument for getting more if they are reasonable etc

Interestingly a 40hr week at ~minimum wage is about £1200 a month or approximately two S9's.....now I doubt any of us are minimum wage and I know that they're not going to earn like that indefinitely.....But it's a bit of a mind bender when ~£3.5K can replace a working person!
AND given Crypto is likely to boom....

Previous :

Also :