A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Old 27th October 2018, 08:41 AM

Default Power steering pipes?

Morning everyone.
Has anyone come up with a solution as yet for the no longer available power steering rack pipes for a fl s8 D2? Mine are ok at the moment but do look well corroded, it seems like only a matter of time.
Cheers Frank
Old 27th October 2018, 09:52 AM

Our best hope at the moment is Spectrum Hose Ltd that Sergey found who can put new hose on original unions. I've been meaning to send them a sample set of hoses to have a think but haven't got round to it yet. The main challenge I think will be contriving a replacement for the rusty union in the wheel arch since that also terminates the inner liner.
Old 27th October 2018, 10:24 AM

I was actually thinking of doing something similar. I used to work for a plant hire company up here in leeds who get lot's of hydraulic hoses repaired from various companies. Our problem may be that the ends get corroded and so may be un reusable.

I have been looking for a while for a sample set but as yet, no luck. If you know of anyone who has a set for sale please let me know. This is a project I am willing to take on through the winter, see if i can come up with a solution for us all.
Cheers Frank
Old 27th October 2018, 10:30 AM

The ends of the hose are usually ok - just a little surface rust. Its that union that's the problem.

As I have mentioned before, the first half of the hose is non-trivial. It has an inner liner which is supported by a crimped bush halfway along it and then supported at the end by the rusty union. In theory it would be possible to replace the hoses and insert this same support bush, and then put a crimped hose joiner where the rusty union is to support the end of the liner. That kind of creative thinking is waaay beyond the monkeys at your average Pirtek though

If you can find someone who is willing to work on this then I can bring my spare set up to Leeds. A plain 10mm hose doesn't work btw - the pump howls constantly.
Old 27th October 2018, 10:54 AM

What is the purpose of this inner liner, also do you know if any cross sectional drawings exist of this hose?
Old 27th October 2018, 12:12 PM

Well if its not there, the pump cavitates like crazy and howls while it's doing it. There is a nozzle in the pump union which pushes all the fluid through the liner which could be some kind of constant pressure / variable flow device (or vice versa). Its there in all VAG ps hoses in some form. It could simply be to reduce noise - I couldn't tell any difference in the steering feel with a plain hose fitted.

I've never seen a cross section of it, but I could draw one from the bits I have on the bench.
Old 27th October 2018, 01:16 PM

I've sent an email to A8parts to see if I can get hold of a sample. It's difficult to visualise the hose form a description bearing in mind I've never even had one off never mind had one apart. When I spoke to Audi this morning, these hoses would be £320 each if we could still get them so it's definitely something worth pursuing.

If you have time to do a drawing it would be useful. Any information would be useful really as I will need to be able to convey to potential suppliers what it is we need.

Do you know if anyone has explored wether pipes from other vehicle's may work. Perhaps a Passat from a similar early 2000' s era?
Old 27th October 2018, 02:08 PM

I know the pipes on the two D2s they just broke weren't much good, but I don't know if they kept them or not. Maria knows the threshold at which I consider them to be saveable, and they rarely get any in which measure up.

I've measured up pipes from the C5 A6 which is the largest of the smaller-body cars of that era and they're way too short. That's a shame, because they're quite cheap. The smaller body cars have a single pipe going through the engine bay though, rather than the D2's through the wheel arch, although I haven't seen how its done on the C5 V8 yet - I'll have a look at one of those next week.

I'll snap some pics of the spare set I have this afternoon
Old 31st October 2018, 11:46 AM

Did you ask my mate at Swift Hydraulics down in Lancin? I think form what i've read it's not unusual to have these type things in the power steering hose to keep um quiet

Bright yellow bus o love.
Old 31st October 2018, 12:57 PM

Subscribing to this thread