A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Fuel and Exhausts

D3 - Fuel and Exhausts Everything to do with getting fuel into the engine, and fumes back out again

Old 30th October 2014, 08:39 PM

Default LPG service

Had the LPG system serviced in the A8 today.
Would have been painless apart from the need to use a service kit on the vapouriser.
Ended up costing £279 all in, but the person who serviced it told me that the pressure was set to 2.4 bar - if the car was turbo or super charged then that would have been fine......

Wound it back to around 2 bar so I should see even better mpg so hopefully recoup the outlay in a few months.....

Current cars:

BMW i4 M-Sport

Peugeot 207 (the sons)

Triumph Daytona 675 (2017 reg)

===========================

Gone but not forgotten

Ford Focus ST-2 Mk3 (the wifes) (stolen Oct 2023)

1972 T2 Bay Window Camper (Slow)

Audi TT Mk1 225 - now with coil-overs and a 7inch touchscreen infotainment centre

2003 A8 Sport 4.2 (with ACC & LPG) (Feed up with all the issues so passed it on to a forum member)

2000 A8 FL QS 4.2 (with RNS-E - Nice) (Engine poorly so sold on to be brought back by someone who has the time)
Old 30th October 2014, 10:52 PM
Banned

Interesting ill be having mine done soon there also moving my tank from the boot to the wheel well as I've lost half my boot space. Recently been told you can have your lpg tank unlocked so to speak allowing you to fill to 90% capacity rather than 65% .

My 90L tank will only allow me to fill 58L of gas .. The extra 20L would be nice to increase range a tad

He will do that for me also
Old 31st October 2014, 08:01 AM

Wasn't aware of the unlock.
My 95l only allows at best 54l
The bloke said it should have been like yours with a tank at the end of the boot and probably 120l.
I have been getting 240 miles between fill-ups when doing lots of motorway runs but drops to around 190 on normal A/B roads, so hoping for a bit of an improvement.

Filled up in a garage yesterday near where I had the work done (Huddersfield) and they are only charging 56p a litre.., the ones local to me are asking 69p...... a big difference

Current cars:

BMW i4 M-Sport

Peugeot 207 (the sons)

Gone but not forgotten

Audi TT Mk1 225 - now with coil-overs and a 7inch touchscreen infotainment centre

2003 A8 Sport 4.2 (with ACC & LPG) (Feed up with all the issues so passed it on to a forum member)

2000 A8 FL QS 4.2 (with RNS-E - Nice) (Engine poorly so sold on to be brought back by someone who has the time)
Old 31st October 2014, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gninnam View Post
Wasn't aware of the unlock.
My 95l only allows at best 54l
The bloke said it should have been like yours with a tank at the end of the boot and probably 120l.
I have been getting 240 miles between fill-ups when doing lots of motorway runs but drops to around 190 on normal A/B roads, so hoping for a bit of an improvement.

Filled up in a garage yesterday near where I had the work done (Huddersfield) and they are only charging 56p a litre.., the ones local to me are asking 69p...... a big difference
I have a 125L tank across the back, and the most I've ever managed to get into it was 98 litres. Because we don't have much in the way of motorways here, and I do quite a lot of short runs, I get just over 300 between fillups. I average around 17.5mpg, whereas during the meet in June I averaged 21.3mpg.

Having said that, I did a very rough calculation the other night to see how much the LPG conversion is worth. Getting the job done cost me £1,500. I've bought 3,000 litres of LPG since then, and taking the price I used to pay for petrol per litre, I've saved around £1,800. So, in theory, it's paid for itself in less than a year. I know this doesn't take into account the current cost of petrol (which I have no idea of), or the fact that the LPG doesn't return the same economy as petrol, but it's a rough guide for me.

BTW My local charges 74.9p for LPG, which is one of the cheapest around. Have you checked out http://www.filllpg.co.uk/?page=lpg.php which gives a map of the LPG sites and their costs? It doesn't have 100% coverage, as it relies on users to update it, and I know one that isn't on it (and they charge 79.9p).

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 31st October 2014, 12:12 PM

Thats a useful site thanks
I cant believe some of the differences in cost!

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs
Old 31st October 2014, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architex_mA8tey View Post
Thats a useful site thanks
I cant believe some of the differences in cost!
They also have an Android app, but the last time their site went down, the app drained the battery in less than a day. Took me two days to figure out what was wrong with the phone, as mine lasts 4-5 days.

There is also a website for LPG stations in Europe (http://www.mylpg.eu/stations/) that I just came across recently, which also includes a map and list of stations, as well as the type of LPG adaptor.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds

Last edited by steamship; 31st October 2014 at 12:27 PM. Reason: Just found the maps... DUH!
Old 31st October 2014, 04:06 PM

Yeh, used that site a few times plus I sometimes use this one http://www.lpgmap.co.uk much better I find.

The cost is crazy but ai suppose diesel an petrk vary quite a lot too

Current cars:

BMW i4 M-Sport

Peugeot 207 (the sons)

Gone but not forgotten

Old 31st October 2014, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gninnam View Post
Yeh, used that site a few times plus I sometimes use this one http://www.lpgmap.co.uk much better I find.

The cost is crazy but ai suppose diesel an petrk vary quite a lot too
You sure you havent been using ethanol Andy?
Old 1st November 2014, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David's8 View Post
You sure you havent been using ethanol Andy?
Been off this week and vowed not to get the laptop out so have been using the tablet....

Current cars:

BMW i4 M-Sport

Peugeot 207 (the sons)

Gone but not forgotten

Old 2nd November 2014, 10:47 AM
Banned

Yes the unlocking is a must do if you have lpg currently I get about 150-200 miles on a tank it simply will not allow me to fill it full it's 90L and at best I get 50-55 so it's nearly half capacity ill report back when it's unlocked. I'm sure Neils is unlocked and able to fill it full. It's a bit of a bug bearer on a long jurney when I have to fuel up 2 or 3 times when the beep of doom sounds the alarm and your back on petrol