A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D3 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Old 15th June 2012, 03:05 PM

Default Brake Pad Warning light on

Afternoon all

Earlier this week I was greeted with the brake pad warning light on the dash. So during a short dry spell yesterday I whipped of each of the wheels to check the pads. The front outside pads can ben clearly seen and looked fine as did the rears. So I am assuming the inboard pads are the ones that wear quicker?? They are more difficult to see clearly but from what I could see they looked more worn. Also they have the sensor attached on the front.

I checked the sensor connections on the front and the plugs were fine and clean and the pad end seemed secure, just in case they were playing up. Do these earth out when worn?

I couldn't identify the sensors on the rears to check them I assume there is some form of sensor fitted??
As I say I was doing this between downpours so didnt have too much time to poke about without getting soaked! Don't you just love this weather
Just had a quote from the Audi dealer and they want £440 for the front and rears
Checked on Eurocarparts and the pads vary in price depending on the manufacturer.
So my questions are ...

Is this a do it yourself job as I don't have the Vagcom thingy as I understand this electronic brake is the awkward bit on the rear.

And if I do buy them from somewhere other than Audi what make pad is good quality, I think the ATE ones are fitted at the monent but I thought Pagid were OEM for Audi and VW they are coming in at 120 for all four corners without applying any discount codes either.

As always any thoughts pointers and guidance welcome.
Cheers Glyn

just checked they are doing 30% off so £87 for the pagid set !!

Last edited by Glync; 15th June 2012 at 03:09 PM.
Old 15th June 2012, 03:14 PM

If there is still plenty material on the pads it could be a broken wire in or near the sensor, a common fault.

You will need Vag-Com or a EPB deactivation tool to do the rear brakes

Nite Blue 3.0L SE Quattro

Last edited by 47p2; 15th June 2012 at 03:17 PM.
Old 15th June 2012, 06:55 PM

I put the Pagids on my PF D3 and wasn't that impressed TBH. They worked, but just no real feel from them.

VCDS will tell you the amount left on the rears as there's no sensor as such, it uses the travel in the EPB for that. Inside pads usually wear faster than outside as that's the bit that gets pressed into the disc first. When the warning first appears you've got 1-2k left at least, so no specific rush either.

I know.. I know..

Old 16th June 2012, 06:22 AM

Did mine last month, after driving with the warning for around 4 weeks. Both fronts and rears still had a good bit of meat on them when removed.

2005 A8L W12 Almond Beige
2008 Jaguar XK Convertible
1971 Jensen Interceptor II (soon to be Mendip Blue)
Old 16th June 2012, 08:15 AM

Thanks all
Must say if it were down to a visual inspection I wouldn't have thought of changing them !
I can only think that the inside pads are far more worn as the front outters look to have near 8-10 mm
I'll have a shop round a few indies in the midlands to see if I can drive the cost down
What pads do you chaps recommend ?

Regards
Glyn
Old 16th June 2012, 09:08 AM

Have you checked the meat on the rears too? They'll throw up the same dash light, and you can only really check with VCDS (unless the rears are obviously done).

I know.. I know..

Old 16th June 2012, 10:21 AM

Yes, I had the rear wheels off and they didn't look bad tbh although again its hard to see the in board ones clearly
I have just checked my file on the car and they were done at 44k rear with new discs and the front at 56k
She is now on 88k so I guess I've had a decent amount of wear from them.
Strangely enough they were done at Kwik fit before £101 front and £299rears including two new discs. Not a fan of Kwik fit myself but they must have been able to do them ??
I'll see what quotes I can get if I source my own pads

Is there anyway of checking which is throwing up the warning? If I dis-connect the front sensor would that prevent that from setting it off or does it not work like that.
Cheers Glyn
Old 16th June 2012, 10:40 AM

"sensor" is just a wire loop that goes into pad, when it wears it brakes the wire making open circuit. If you unplug it has the same effect like if it was worn.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 16th June 2012, 10:52 AM

You could unplug the sensor and check if the wire is completing the loop or if indeed it is broken. I would expect there will be the sensor at the pad and a wire going to a plug somewhere nearby, unplug and connect a piece of wire onto the two terminals of the plug that is going to the ECU to complete the circuit and switch on the ignition.

My brake light came when we had a snow fall, I knew the rear pads were on the way out and thought they had triggered the warning. I fitted new pads and discs and cleared the fault, but the light was still on. The cause was a broken sensor wire at a front wheel
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	padwearind.png
Views:	367
Size:	207.6 KB
ID:	3874  

Nite Blue 3.0L SE Quattro

Last edited by 47p2; 16th June 2012 at 12:04 PM.
Old 16th June 2012, 12:23 PM

Thanks chaps
I might try to close the loop on the sensor connector on the front ones then and at least I know which end is triggering the fault.
I'll post up a picture of the outer pad and you'll see what I mean, that's is when we get a dry spell .
I'm in the garage today my classic mini restoration is finally getting towards the end of the welding! Just about to re-paint the underside and stone chip etc. hoping to getting to the final paint soon but this damp weather isn't the best painting conditions for a home job, hope we get some sun soon eh meanwhile I can get the underside done.

Cheers Glyn