A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 28th January 2020, 08:52 PM

Default a8 4.2 tdi RIP steering rack

Title says it all really,started with a loud metallic scraping and heavy steering got it diagnosed as a rotten steering rack with rusty water coming out of the rubber boots either side which was a bit of a surprise!
managed to source a replacement at a decent price so now im back to driving my trusty e46 330d touring.
So far ive its had quite a few small issues arise think Noor off here got rid just in time, ive had drivers air bag problems headlights intermittent oil level sensor failed and various other sensors fail and to top it off im pretty sure the drivers side turbo or wastegate is faulty as it sometimes makes a loud whistling side on cold startups but once warmed up it dissipates.
So on conclusion its definitely the most unreliable car ive owned and that's out of 30+ cars and the shortest time span of things going wrong (4 months)
I still love to drive it though and hopefully when the steering racks sorted it wont give me any more presents!
Old 28th January 2020, 11:46 PM

I'm feeling your pain. Attempts to revive the S8s steering rack were finally abandoned, so that's being refurbished & at the same time my Skoda is in the garage...needing a new steering rack!
Old 29th January 2020, 12:14 AM

Problem with the A8 is that it's a big and complex car. There is a lot to go with so many gadgets and tired old air suspension.

I've been working through the list of things to replace/renew on mine and it's never ending.

Also - when you've had the rack replaced, do report back on the outcome and how much it cost
Old 29th January 2020, 09:33 AM

I know the feeling fella, it's one thing after another with these big A8's. I've just had a load of bother with my compressor, finally get that sorted, a power steering hose bursts and is a major job to replace (subframe removal, etc)

I've probably ticked most of the list of "known D3 faults" but at 14 years old and 150k miles I just keep finding more. I've given up on the more cosmetic, non-essential faults (TPMS, soft close, keyless) as they don't affect the way the car drives but if you try to fix every single thing these throw at you you'd end up constantly occupied, and significantly poorer.

I'm not giving up yet though, they're becoming a rare beast and I'll do my best to keep it on the road, and until I come across something I enjoy driving more then it's staying

Audi D3 S8 - 2007 - V10. B&O, Phantom Black, black and silver interior, and still completely standard with everything working as it should

Audi TT - 2015 - Ultra
Old 29th January 2020, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norretal View Post
a power steering hose bursts and is a major job to replace (subframe removal, etc)
Is it the hose that runs down the side of the engine? If so, there is a DIY on this and it can just about be done without removing the subframe.
2008 (facelift) S8 with B&O, ACC, glass sunroof, reversing camera, front and rear heated seats, ceramic brakes, homelink, electric side and rear blinds, ski load through, heated fan washer jets, remote boot closing, de-flapped manifold, fridge, umbrella holder
Old 29th January 2020, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer simpson View Post
Is it the hose that runs down the side of the engine? If so, there is a DIY on this and it can just about be done without removing the subframe.
I've seen Del and Marcin share information and photos but I haven't spotted anything about this particular hose, which is on the pump side, goes to the rack, and is the opposite side of the engine to the one that fails that leads back to the cooler (so offside, rather than nearside)

I'd be happy to be proved wrong though Homer, if you've seen something I haven't? I need to get down to the lock-up and have a good look so I can have a better understanding of the task being undertaken, then share my findings on here

Audi D3 S8 - 2007 - V10. B&O, Phantom Black, black and silver interior, and still completely standard with everything working as it should

Audi TT - 2015 - Ultra
Old 29th January 2020, 03:50 PM

Wrong hose then, I was referring to the one one the O/S which was a complete pain in the backside to do but saved dropping the engine! Good luck with it, take some pics if you decide to tackle it yourself.
2008 (facelift) S8 with B&O, ACC, glass sunroof, reversing camera, front and rear heated seats, ceramic brakes, homelink, electric side and rear blinds, ski load through, heated fan washer jets, remote boot closing, de-flapped manifold, fridge, umbrella holder
Old 29th January 2020, 07:27 PM

[quote=Sit down, Waldo;155335]I'm feeling your pain. Attempts to revive the S8s steering rack were finally abandoned, so that's being refurbished & at the same time my Skoda is in the garage...needing a new steering rack!
i normally love playing with racks just not this type
Old 29th January 2020, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IT D3 View Post
Problem with the A8 is that it's a big and complex car. There is a lot to go with so many gadgets and tired old air suspension.

I've been working through the list of things to replace/renew on mine and it's never ending.

Also - when you've had the rack replaced, do report back on the outcome and how much it cost
will do
Old 29th January 2020, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norretal View Post
I know the feeling fella, it's one thing after another with these big A8's. I've just had a load of bother with my compressor, finally get that sorted, a power steering hose bursts and is a major job to replace (subframe removal, etc)

I've probably ticked most of the list of "known D3 faults" but at 14 years old and 150k miles I just keep finding more. I've given up on the more cosmetic, non-essential faults (TPMS, soft close, keyless) as they don't affect the way the car drives but if you try to fix every single thing these throw at you you'd end up constantly occupied, and significantly poorer.

I'm not giving up yet though, they're becoming a rare beast and I'll do my best to keep it on the road, and until I come across something I enjoy driving more then it's staying
that's the problem im not overly keen on new cars so prefer to pick older rarer ones its the price you have to pay i guess