A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D3 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Old 9th July 2016, 09:17 AM

Default Air Suspension - Preventative Maintenance?

I seem to recall reading something months ago - detailing some of the components of the air suspension system which are advised to be replaced (before broken) - to help limit the failure of other more expensive elements.

Something like...replace the relay (and something else?) to avoid the compressor failing? I might have that all wrong though.

If anyone can help, or point me in the direction of any previous threads on this- then much appreciated.

Past
2006 D3 Audi A8 4.2 tdi LWB

Solar Sunroof, auxiliary heater, DAB, TV, ventilated front seats, heated front & rear seats, AMI, ACC, power boot close

Location - Exeter, Devon
Old 9th July 2016, 09:37 AM

You need to get to the bottom of what your system is doing.
You can check the output Pressure in Bar of the pump by using the modified VCDS labels provided by Del HERE
That will let you test the output of the pump with VAGcom (should be 15 or 16 bar) and tell you how badly or ok it is performing. Mine was putting out only 7.8 bar despite having recently had the bagpiping andy seal kit fitted as a pro-active attempt to keep it ok. The pump tries to put enough pressure out to properly deal with raising and lowering the car and when it cant it runs and runs then overheats and cuts out when it gets too hot and that causes an amber warning light.
Fitting a new air suspension compressor cured my issues (cost £280 less £25 refunded) and I am currently negotiating a deal for anyone with a D3 onwards to supply an OEM matched new pump from my supplier and to take back old ones for an additional credit. I will update all when completed.

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs
Old 9th July 2016, 09:46 AM

Thanks mA8tey. I don't think there's any problems with the suspension at the moment. I'm probably going to buy a VCDS cable in the next few weeks - so can run the checks you mentioned.

I'm sure i've read somewhere about it being a good idea to replace a relay. Might just be making it up though!

Past

Solar Sunroof, auxiliary heater, DAB, TV, ventilated front seats, heated front & rear seats, AMI, ACC, power boot close

Location - Exeter, Devon
Old 9th July 2016, 10:00 AM

Yes, a few people have had relays get stuck and so the compressor runs continuously until it overheats, but it is still a rare problem and I haven't heard of it happenning for a few years *touch wood**
Old 9th July 2016, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapdragon View Post
Yes, a few people have had relays get stuck and so the compressor runs continuously until it overheats, but it is still a rare problem and I haven't heard of it happenning for a few years *touch wood**
It's certainly more likely to run continuously if it cant maintain the pressure and then cut out from overheating

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs
Old 9th July 2016, 01:07 PM

I can agree with what's been said above, I too heard the rumours about relays burning out and sticking on.

The other thing I heard of people replacing as a preventative measure was the 40 amp fuse.

Firstly let me say if a fuse is not blown there is no need to replace it.

As to the relay, in my case the compressor was good and even though I replaced the relay the old one had no arcing damage to the contacts but that's not to say yours is not.

Things like a a worn compressor or leaking struts can make the compressor run on overheating it and possibly damaging the relay too.

So my advice would be what has been mentioned already by Neil, get Vcds and check the compressor, keep an eye on strut levels if you haven't used the car for a week, if it's dropped a bit on one corner that's a indicator of a leak somewhere which if left unchecked can cause compressor wear and flat battery's as the car wakes up peroically and tries to maintain a level stance.

Old 10th July 2016, 07:16 AM

Thanks everyone.

I'll have a play when I get my hands on a VCDS cable.

Past

Location - Exeter, Devon
Old 10th July 2016, 07:35 AM

The biggest concern when I got my D3 almost 3 years ago was the suspension. I read all the horror stories and expense.

Touch wood, 3 years later all is well.

Only expense has been the bagpipingandy repair kit as the compressor had low output and was logging faults in VCDS. The kit was fitted more than 2 years ago, and I've had no issues since.
2004 D3 A8 3.7 Quattro, Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Solar Sunroof, TV, ACC, phone and almost every option. 168K miles rising slowly
with retrofit AMI and DVB-T in place of Analogue
2003 Volvo S60 D5 SE Manual, 197K miles.
2001 D2 A8 3.7 QS, Bi-Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Electric Everything, retrofitted RNS-D, 191K Miles