A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D3 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Old 21st May 2016, 05:02 PM

Welcome from me to. Pictures???
What exactly does jacking Mode do?
I thought it simply stopped the car from trying to level its self when it's jacked, as opposed to stopping the suspension over extending
Old 21st May 2016, 05:22 PM

Location: Redmile: Leics, Notts, Lincs border - near Belvoir Castle

I've had a few problems with KF over the years. My view is that they're OK for tyre changes and maybe the exhaust on SWMBO's mini. But nothing else! I took my last S8 into A4Audi for wheel alignment and, Unknown to me, their equipment was broken, so they sent it the local KF. When I got the car back, the steering wheel was miles off centre, so a little row followed with A4Audi!
And years and years ago, I took a wheel with a punctured tyre for repair. I picked it up later in the day and went to swap it back on the car er that evening. It didn't fit - it was a wheel from another car. They pi$$ed me about for months, saying they knew the guy who'd got my wheel, before eventually forking out for a new wheel and tyre.
IMHO, if you have a car like an '8, take it to a proper garage for anything other than tyres.
Current mods: solar sun roof, 20mm rear spacers, 15 mm on front, red brembo callipers, 6k headlights, rear view camera, engine remap, alloy dash dial rings, alloy navi rings, tt/phaeton pedal upgrade, (and custom matching foot rest) dension ipod interface & parrot hands free kit (both fully hidden), av input, tv in motion switched thro' PF switch in blanking plug right of steering column, Audi 'quattro' sill covers, repositioned centre console switches, radio clock, .
Planned mods: auto-dimming rear view mirror, dash cam (as steamship's), fit the ski hatch, refit philips drl's (or maybe not - nope, definitely not - horrible botch!).
Old 21st May 2016, 06:00 PM

If it was me, I would pursue Kwik Fit for the repair cost and a few days car hire. The fact they didnt charge you is an obvious admission of guilt in my eyes.
If you're feeling charitable and consider that they were'nt made aware that the A8 has Air Suspension, a 50% contribution might be fair.
Most Tyre Fitting centres I've used over the years were unaware of Jacking Mode and I generally mention it and offer to switch it on.
Old 21st May 2016, 08:54 PM

Something like Alldata would tell them to put it in jacking mode, and in this day and age they should be refering to such things or their own version of it. It annoys me how often the steering wheel is crooked too, there is a plug they can remove from the rack and stick a bolt it to keep it at 0˚
Old 22nd May 2016, 01:47 PM

So, does anyone actually know what jacking mode actually does?
Old 22nd May 2016, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonupkid View Post
So, does anyone actually know what jacking mode actually does?
As far as I know it disables the auto-levelling system so that if a corner of the car is jacked up, the car doesnt try to level the other corners.

I can imagine the consequences of that could get quite messy, especially if you're lying underneath the car!
2000 FL D2 4.2 QS - SOLD 2011

Old 22nd May 2016, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarg View Post
As far as I know it disables the auto-levelling system so that if a corner of the car is jacked up, the car doesnt try to level the other corners.

I can imagine the consequences of that could get quite messy, especially if you're lying underneath the car!
My thoughts exactly. So not putting that car into jacking made is unlikely to have caused the damage to that cars system.
Old 22nd May 2016, 05:02 PM

Jacking mode need not be activated when lifted on a garage lift as the suspension module can recognise when it's being lifted, as taken from Audi SSP.

Fundamentally Jacking mode is a human safety feature to stop the car adjusting and potentially unstabling itself while raised on a jack.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lifting.jpg
Views:	402
Size:	119.3 KB
ID:	13392  

2004 A8 3.7q, 1998 A4 2.8q, 1994 Coupe 2.8q SORN,

Last edited by mattylondon; 22nd May 2016 at 05:14 PM.
Old 22nd May 2016, 05:49 PM

Well found Matty.
Now we need to find out what actually happened to cause this damage.

When Gwen first bought the 8 I took her out for a meal at Cheshire Oaks. We had been in ownership for about 25 hours and knew jack shiz. On leaving the restaurant we found our rear right rather flat at the bottom. We had collected a screw in the tyre and most of the air had run away.
Being a sort of capable lad I jacked her up (the 8 not SWMBO) and attached the spare without setting "Jacking Mode". Ignorance is bliss. Managed Ok and no disastrous problems.

So what did KF Fitter do? Perhaps we will never know.

2014 A8L D4 4.0TFSI Gold (Sticker says "Beige") Can't leave you in a black smoke cloud anymore..
In progress, Nothing left to do.

Gone 2004 A8 D3 3.0 TDI. Ebony Pearl Black (with little bits of other colours and glitter)
Old 1st June 2016, 07:51 PM

Hi sorry phones been broken and I've been working away without laptop. Cars still in the garage kwik fit been out too see it at regional managers request, apparently he was a audi master tech but didn't know jack about the a8 the bill now stands at £1215 with hire car fees included. The cause seems to of been off the acetylene torch while trying to loosen the bolts. Still arguing over who's fault it was. It's part 12 in the photo I've lost the other photo's I had of the damage.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2016-05-20-10-32-49.png
Views:	206
Size:	527.8 KB
ID:	13469