A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D3 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Old 11th January 2017, 10:28 AM

On the B5 Passat forum I was on 6+ years ago, someone in the USA had someone bump their parked car in a carpark when it was is P but the handbrake was not on and it damaged the gearbox locking mechanism, they had a battle with the insurance company but I can't remember the eventual outcome.
I always use the EPB since then when in a level carpark, unless I want to the the EPB calibration and there is no chance of being hit.
Old 11th January 2017, 11:26 AM

I always use EPB.
Cost of broken EPB can't be compared to cost of broken gearbox.

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Ceramic Brakes, Bang&Olufsen, DTV, DAB, Rear Camera, BT, TPMS, Soft Close, Auto Boot, AMI , 4 Zone AC, Home Link, All Electric Blinds, Fingerprint, Ski Hatch, Black Extended Leather, Heated Sport Seats, Alacantra, Carbon Trim inc Aluminium Pack 2.
2015 A3 S line 1.4 TFSI - for the missus to keep her away from my car.
Standard S-line equipment, no extras.
2006 D3 A8 3.7 V8 - SOLD but not forgotten
Old 11th January 2017, 12:43 PM

Thats a fair point if the car got hit in a car park and should be considered.
Multi-storey Car Parks are best avoided anyway unless you want the sides of your car covered in dings and scratches.
Maybe I was unlucky but my EPB broke every couple of months until I had replaced everything other than the wiring. My gearbox was still perfect with 400,000kms on it but I did have the ATF changed a few times.
EPB's have also been an issue with B6 Passats and early Insignias to my knowledge.
Old 11th January 2017, 08:31 PM

I very rarely use my EPB having had a very expensive and time consuming experience with the EPB on a Jag XJ SuperV8 I once owned.

I agree the auto recalibration on the A8 EPB is very long, loud and embarrassing but having read this thread am thinking I should start to use it a bit more.

'09 D3 S8 - Most of the bells and whistles (B&O, Audi Exclusive brown interior and exterior paint, soft close, ACC etc) de-flapped manifold!
Old 12th January 2017, 08:15 AM

It's difficult to know if using it regularly may be better to keep the motors from sticking or such but you do run the risk of being stuck somewhere with the EPB stuck on. Theres never a good time for such an event.
I reckon both motors on mine failed due to water ingress more than anything physically worn from what I could see.
It might be a good idea to inspect/clean the motor housings sometime the car is on a ramp, there was a seal kit available for them for a few quid.
Old 12th January 2017, 11:19 AM

I use my EPB a minimum of 4 times a day up to maybe 30 or 40 times a day, every day and I have never had an issue in the 3 and a half years of ownership. I am of the opinion that a machine is designed to be used and not using it can be as bad, if not worse, than over-use or abuse. I think this is why some folk that have weekend cars, cars that do very little mileage or cars that only come out now and then, tend to have more issues than folk that use them every day. I never had any issues with AC as I leave it on permanently. I exercise all the windows and soft close every week, the boot gets opened most days. I move my suspension to lift every now and then. It keeps it all moving and operable. In short if something is used and maintained and cleaned it is rare for failures to occur. That's all my opinion anyway.

I'm also quite anal about the gearbox too and tend to apply the EPB so the car is secured, no matter what the incline or terrain. Then I select "N" to disengage the 'box and then quickly select "P". I have found that selecting "P" directly from "D" can sometimes produce an obvious "clunk" the next time the car is moved as the pawl was under tension when the car was left. This is all extra wear I'd rather not incur for the sake of a good, safe "parking up" regime that takes little to no extra time.
Old 12th January 2017, 11:28 AM

I very much agree with Lee's opinion, hence I run car almost everyday even if I don't need to drive it just to keep things moving/lubricating.
Even when A8 was off Road for 3months prior to sale sale I run both cars everyday costing a fair bit in petrol.
Not using EPB in scare of breaking it is a bit silly in my opinion but at the same time it's people choice. These cars were designed to be used not to sit on the shelf in the living room.
If it's going to break for one or the other reason it will, no matter if people like it or not. No need to worry yourself and limit because of that.

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Ceramic Brakes, Bang&Olufsen, DTV, DAB, Rear Camera, BT, TPMS, Soft Close, Auto Boot, AMI , 4 Zone AC, Home Link, All Electric Blinds, Fingerprint, Ski Hatch, Black Extended Leather, Heated Sport Seats, Alacantra, Carbon Trim inc Aluminium Pack 2.
2015 A3 S line 1.4 TFSI - for the missus to keep her away from my car.
Standard S-line equipment, no extras.
2006 D3 A8 3.7 V8 - SOLD but not forgotten
Old 12th January 2017, 01:52 PM

Started using mine a lot more today (when I remembered to do so!) now just have to get used to it. I note it doesn't auto release when pulling away, like other EPBs do, or is that a fault!!!?!

'09 D3 S8 - Most of the bells and whistles (B&O, Audi Exclusive brown interior and exterior paint, soft close, ACC etc) de-flapped manifold!
Old 12th January 2017, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audidothat View Post
Started using mine a lot more today (when I remembered to do so!) now just have to get used to it. I note it doesn't auto release when pulling away, like other EPBs do, or is that a fault!!!?!
Mine auto releases most of the time but not always
Old 12th January 2017, 02:48 PM

EPB will only auto release if the driver has their seat-belt on. Otherwise you have to press the EPB button down. If it doesn't work with your seat-belt on, it must be faulty or need coding or something I guess.