A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Lights

D2 - Lights Headlights, xenons, foglights. Everything outside the car that glows

Old 29th January 2012, 06:42 PM

Default Facelift headlight fit

First off let me say, I cannot remember if my car was like this before it went in for its cambelt to be changed as I have only washed the car once since I got it. However I dont recall this issue.

The OS headlight (Xenon plus) seems to be ill fitting on the wing, in that there is a gap on the back edge where the indicator housing meets the wing and the the lamp is sticking out from the wing. I had a quick look and one of the top 2 mounting brackets is broken, although despite this the headlight is secure and does not move about. I dont know when that happened either, but there is evidence of an attempted fix by superglue. Headlight aim seems to be OK I think, but not really driven in the very dark since getting the car back.

The NS headlight does not have this problem is fits perfectly.

I'm looking for clues on how to fix the problem.
2004 D3 A8 3.7 Quattro, Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Solar Sunroof, TV, ACC, phone and almost every option. 168K miles rising slowly
with retrofit AMI and DVB-T in place of Analogue
2003 Volvo S60 D5 SE Manual, 197K miles.
2001 D2 A8 3.7 QS, Bi-Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Electric Everything, retrofitted RNS-D, 191K Miles
Old 29th January 2012, 09:21 PM

The only way to fix your headlamp, is to remove the complete headlamp from the car, as well as the busted top mount. Clean the mating faces carefully, making sure you remove all traces of superglue.

You'll need Araldite, mix the correct quantity, and bond the broken tag back to the main casing. You'll need to make sure the angle is correct, then hold it in position with adhesive tape. I would give it at least 24 hours to set properly. Depending on where the break is, it may be possible to bond a sturdy strip of steel sheet to strengthen the repair further.

Rattle can it satin black once cured, refit and get the headlamp aim set.

The other option is a replacement, and with Xenon Plus, very pricey.

Good luck!

2006 Audi A8 D3 Quattro Sport 4.2 TDI - Silver, Family Oil Burner.
2000 Audi A4 Quattro Sport 2.5 TDI - Santorin Blue, S8-Powered DTM Race Car Build In Progress.
2000 Audi A4 Quattro Sport 2.8 30V - Pelican Blue, RS4 Widebody, D3 4.2 01E, High-Spec B5 Build In Progress.
Old 30th January 2012, 10:49 AM

Not sure if it's the same for FL cars but there is a repair part available form your local dealer for PF, see http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthrea...adlight+repair
Old 30th January 2012, 05:34 PM

I had a quick look this evening, its not looking good for the headlight.

I loosened the only remaining top screw in the hope I could position the lamp better, but judging by how the light feels when moving it about there maybe more broken clips or screw missing as the bottom of the light also feels a loose. I did get it to fit the wing better, but somethings not right on the bottom of the light. Hopefully its now secure enough to not vibrate to much.

I'll dedicate some more time on it this weekend, removing the lower trim and then I can see whats really happening. I'll be driving 144 miles in the pitch dark early Saturday, so I'll see how bad the alignment is then.

The light still works fine, so it looks like I'll need a replacement at some point in the future if I cannot carryout the required repairs to the current one.
2004 D3 A8 3.7 Quattro, Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Solar Sunroof, TV, ACC, phone and almost every option. 168K miles rising slowly
2001 D2 A8 3.7 QS, Bi-Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Electric Everything, retrofitted RNS-D, 191K Miles
Old 11th February 2012, 01:47 PM

I had a chance today, weather cold but crisp so decided to remove the headlight.

The light was being held in by 2 screws only, and both of those were on the wing side of the light.

The top inner clip was bust, as was the bottom one beneath the lamp on the same side. The slide in/out adjuster was screwed in, but the plastic runner on the headlight was split.

I bought some unibond plastic repair adhesive, which is fast acting and claims to be very strong.

I have glued both parts of the upper clip together, and reinforced the repair by also sticking some additional plastic to the outer edge.

The bottom clip has proved to be more difficult for 2 reasons, first being the break and the second the sliding bracket. To get it all back together I have had to guess where the sliding bracket was, and then reassemble and glue everything in, including the sliding bracket as it was not possible to get the side to stay put. I have located it in about the same position on the runner as the opposite one, so hopefully all is going to be ok. The adhesive is now curing, apparently it takes 4hrs before it becomes hard enough to allow rough handling.

I looked on ETKA, and the repair kit is available for the FL lights should the top one prove to not be strong enough, although the bottom one is going to be more difficult to fix if it fails again or the slider is in the wrong place.

Last edited by mannyo; 11th February 2012 at 01:50 PM.
Old 11th February 2012, 02:46 PM

Well, the slider was in the wrong place and the top repair failed already during assembly. So its back to the drawing board, slider repositioned and glued again. Will need repair kit for the top, although I may try and see if I can fix it in situ.
Old 11th February 2012, 03:11 PM

I have a pair of facelift projection headlights for sale off of my 3.7 QS, I recently upgraded to Xenons and haven't got around to e-baying them yet PM me if interested

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs
Old 11th February 2012, 05:13 PM

Stupid thing is, these beauties are the Bi-Xenon pluses hence the desire to try and fix.

Put the headlight back on the car, just as it was getting dark, I really need to get that repair kit and I have yet to put the second screw into the bottom of the light as it was so dark I could not see the hole.
Old 12th February 2012, 12:48 PM

Repair kit aside, could someone take a picture of the drivers side headlight from the side where the trim under the headlight screws on. I went to put mine back this morning and now realise that I have more plastic missing from this area. i removed the lower foglight grill and had a rummage on the undertray and have retrieved it, I just cant work out how it was attached to the light. Needs to be a facelift light as the pre facelift did not have this.

Also whilst you are taking pictures, if the light is removed from the car could you also take a picture of the underside showing pictures of both the sliding plastic adjusters. This can be either facelift or pre, since this area is the same I believe.

Hopefully someone can help here.

Last edited by mannyo; 12th February 2012 at 12:52 PM.
Old 12th February 2012, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannyo View Post
Repair kit aside, could someone take a picture of the drivers side headlight from the side where the trim under the headlight screws on. I went to put mine back this morning and now realise that I have more plastic missing from this area. i removed the lower foglight grill and had a rummage on the undertray and have retrieved it, I just cant work out how it was attached to the light. Needs to be a facelift light as the pre facelift did not have this.

Also whilst you are taking pictures, if the light is removed from the car could you also take a picture of the underside showing pictures of both the sliding plastic adjusters. This can be either facelift or pre, since this area is the same I believe.

Hopefully someone can help here.
I can take some later when I'm home with the headlights I took out

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs