A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > For Sale and Wanted > For Sale and Wanted - Generic car items

For Sale and Wanted - Generic car items For the personal sale of non Vw/Audi parts, tools, vouchers, accessories, anything that isn't an actual car. Absolutely no commercial listings or breaking / bulk / repeated sale of parts or services.

Old 10th January 2016, 05:02 PM

if you want to splash out on oil, go for an ester based one like Fuchs Pro Race S

If not, Castrol or Quantum are fine. Audi dealers in the UK also use Shell versions of the correct VW group oils.

There'll be nothing wrong with the Halfords oil, but it's like supermarket fuel (which I won't use, despite knowing the only difference is the additive pack!) you either will use it, or definitely won't.

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 10th January 2016, 05:41 PM

Just back from Costco, no more 0w40 on the shelves!

Ester stuff too much for my 2-3k/yr needs, although I do use the Millers nanodrive in my 911.

Will try some Quantum or some Total energy 9000, another well rated oil at £25 per 5l
Old 10th January 2016, 08:43 PM

>> Just back from Costco, no more 0w40 on the shelves!

I was in the same situation at Costco Reading. No Mobil 1 0w-40 on shelves.

Then a better search revealed that there are pallets full of Mobil 1 0w-40
on upper shelves that they did't bother to move down.
Old 6th May 2016, 05:45 PM

back in the day many years ago I used to live near Belper in derbyshire , home of Silkolene , well know for top quality motorcyle oils especially for racing ; now they are owned by Fuchs who make most of the oils own branded for audi/BMW/merc

to cut a long story short I had a conversation with one of their technical people who was a member of the Bridge club I played at , and I happened to mention that I specified a top quality engine oil , saying that I didn't want to risk getting somebody's recycled oil ! he laughed and said that engine oil can be recycled ad nauseum to make top quality oils as it retained it's lubricity ; egg on face !

I think this explains better than I could

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automotive_oil_recycling

I am not saying that maybe the most expensive oils don't have a somewhat longer life by exceeding the spec ..I have no idea whether or not they do ...but as my methodology is to buy the least expensive oil to the correct spec for the engine and change it at fairly low mileages on the basis that pollution in the oil is the killer , it seems anti percentage to pay the premium and then drain it away