A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > IT, AV and other Tech

IT, AV and other Tech All computing, home cinema and technology that isnt car related

Old 25th February 2018, 01:17 PM

I turned my rig off the other day since the rates have dropped so low. The rx580s have both become unstable for some reason - one would lock up every few hours, so I removed it and then a couple of days later the other one started locking up. For <£2 a day in profit it was not worth the hassle of looking after it, and MRR doesn't seem to be worth much more than Nicehash at the moment.

Tbh I was hoping for rather more usable life from these cards than 2 months Is it likely that rates will recover, or is that it for these now? 2 months isn't enough to get a feel for that.

There are an awful lot of Vegas on ebay at the moment...

Last edited by MikkiJayne; 25th February 2018 at 01:31 PM.
Old 25th February 2018, 01:19 PM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

Looks like a good soundproofing plan Ainars!

I've not made much progress on my soundproofing yet. Had very little free time lately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainarssems View Post
I think I need to get in staking as well, that's the part I have not tried yet, just need to decide the which coins to stake. What are the HDD space requirements for the coins you are staking and how fast is the space used growing?
To be honest, I haven't done much research into what's most profitable, I've just been staking what I have. In other words, I bought the altcoins that I am staking primarily as an investment but decided I might as well stake them too. There's probably a few more of the (now 40+) alts I have that I could stake but right now I'm mainly staking NEO, Deep Onion and Linda Coin.

NEO takes no resources at all to stake; you don't even need to leave the wallet open. You earn NEO GAS just by owning NEO. Both Deep Onion and Linda Coin use Qt wallets and only take about 500MB of memory and disk space each. Deep Onion doesn't earn a great deal. I have a little less than 600 ONION and it earns maybe 2-3 ONION per month. Linda Coin is probably the better earner, especially if you can afford enough to have a masternode. Presently a masternode is ridiculously expensive, requiring 30 million LINDA but, if I understand correctly, Linda Coin will be forking in the very near future and one of the changes will be a reduction to 2 million coins to run a masternode (there was a recent developer discussion about it, and other developments, here). Staking Linda Coin earns a lot less than running a masternode does, but it still gives a reasonable ROI -- probably in the region of about 20,000 LINDA per month for every 1 million staked.

Quote:
I came across this and wondered if it was possible

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2056032.0
Looking very briefly at it, I suppose it might work if the S9 allows for frequency and fan speed adjustment via the config files. Quickly putty-ing into mine just now (default user root, pw admin), it looks like the main config file is bmminer.conf (use 'cd /config' then 'ls' to list the folder contents. 'cat bmminer.conf' will display the contents of bmminer.conf).

Quote:
Bitmain released new batch of L3+ at a bit lower price, I am tempted to buy 1 or 2 more and possibly sell S9 as the L3+ is lower power consumption and lower noise but on the other hand don't want too much eggs in one basket.
I have 2 L3+ miners due to be dispatched soon (March batch) that I bought on a whim. I'm not sure what I'm doing with them yet. I ordered them with the intention of either keeping them or selling one or two of them on Ebay for a profit but I could let you (or anyone else here) have one or both of them for what I paid for them if I decide not to use them myself.
------------------------------------------------------

Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust

Last edited by moltuae; 25th February 2018 at 01:21 PM.
Old 25th February 2018, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moltuae View Post
Having said that, if you're sensible, do your research and gradually build-up a diversified portfolio, you can make huge profits. You can make money by playing the exchanges and buying and selling at the right time but that really is a gamble and takes a lot of skill/luck.

Most people who have been investing in cryptocurrencies for more than a year will tell you to "just hodl (hold)". If you have the nerve to ride the dips, any cryptocurrency that's worth investing in will generally increase in value in the long run, sometimes by more than 100x.

If you're looking to invest, I would start with an amount that you are prepared to lose. Invest and wait. Don't panic or pull out at the first dip. If after a few months you have managed to make a good profit, you could even take out your original investment and continue investing your profits.
I think this is good advice that I needed to hear - I started dabbling with £500, it went to £630 and its currently worth £420, I chopped a lot initially and that eroded the capital because I got jitters at the initial drops - it was always a case of when I buy a stock or in this case a coin, it drops straight away lol, but given the crypto volatility I was probably over sensitive to it.

I can afford to lose the £500, thats why it was a small amount. I think the HODL approach is a good one and its what I do with stocks, buy good and wait, I should have approached it the same with Crypto.

This was over 3 weeks BTW!

Last edited by 1781cc; 25th February 2018 at 02:34 PM.
Old 25th February 2018, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
I turned my rig off the other day since the rates have dropped so low. The rx580s have both become unstable for some reason - one would lock up every few hours, so I removed it and then a couple of days later the other one started locking up. For <£2 a day in profit it was not worth the hassle of looking after it, and MRR doesn't seem to be worth much more than Nicehash at the moment.

Tbh I was hoping for rather more usable life from these cards than 2 months Is it likely that rates will recover, or is that it for these now? 2 months isn't enough to get a feel for that.
I am far from turning rigs off, they earn less but they still earn more than they spend in electricity and extra heating is welcome at this cold spell of weather. Are you running RX580 with the same settings for ETH as for CryptoNight, mine definitely will not run at the same settings and need less agressive overclock. Less than £2 per card might not be much if you only have 2 cards but when you have 10 cards it's still about £500 with £95 electricity costs and you do not have to babysit it all day. If it crashes every 2 days so be it, if it restarts itself just have OverdriveNToool batch file set to apply your clock settings for GPUs and then miner to start with 5 second delay, if it just freezes up restart it manually, it does not take much time, just check on it couple of times a day like when you have a cupper. There are other possibilities as well, Allium algorithm seems to be earning well on MRR for the recently forked Garlicoin which went from Scrypt N to Allium but the marketplace is quite small so not sure about real returns.

Quote:
There are an awful lot of Vegas on ebay at the moment...
I think I might have sold mine just in time then, I bought it for £390 start of November, used for 3.5 months, it earned well and have paid for itself, then sold it recently for £645 on ebay auction. But damned ebay fees have gone up, I have not sold anything for a while but I think they used to be 3-4% and no fee for postage, now it's 10% for everything including postage + about 3% PayPal fees so it really, makes a dent. I don't think I will list anything on ebay on standard terms, only on promotions where final value fee is greatly reduced.

Quote:
Nobody knows but there is nothing vastly superior and they were down to £0.80-0.90 in September on ETH so it's still better now.

Quote:
NEO takes no resources at all to stake; you don't even need to leave the wallet open. You earn NEO GAS just by owning NEO. Both Deep Onion and Linda Coin use Qt wallets and only take about 500MB of memory and disk space each. Deep Onion doesn't earn a great deal. I have a little less than 600 ONION and it earns maybe 2-3 ONION per month. Linda Coin is probably the better earner, especially if you can afford enough to have a masternode. Presently a masternode is ridiculously expensive, requiring 30 million LINDA but, if I understand correctly, Linda Coin will be forking in the very near future and one of the changes will be a reduction to 2 million coins to run a masternode (there was a recent developer discussion about it, and other developments, here). Staking Linda Coin earns a lot less than running a masternode does, but it still gives a reasonable ROI -- probably in the region of about 20,000 LINDA per month for every 1 million staked.
I started off by pointing my S9 to mine Unit for now as I think I have enough of LCC now(180) especially as I cannot do much with them, only people who can trade them are the ones who had LTC on YoBit at the time of fork so they got credited LCC as well on YoBit. I am not even sure if they can withdraw from YoBit. So the true value of the coin will only be visible when it starts trading properly with deposits and withdrawals from exchanges available, it's gone down to $5 now but If it's above $2 I am still in profit.

I really need to look at getting some LINDA, I mean I have no excuses with my wife's name being the same

Quote:
Looking very briefly at it, I suppose it might work if the S9 allows for frequency and fan speed adjustment via the config files. Quickly putty-ing into mine just now (default user root, pw admin), it looks like the main config file is bmminer.conf (use 'cd /config' then 'ls' to list the folder contents. 'cat bmminer.conf' will display the contents of bmminer.conf).
Possibly, but older models are fixed frequency and newer models are variable frequency so not sure if it will work on all models, I think I would be more interested in voltage adjustments and also separate adjustments per board, there is also custom firmware in the works which should allow to do it.

Quote:
I have 2 L3+ miners due to be dispatched soon (March batch) that I bought on a whim. I'm not sure what I'm doing with them yet. I ordered them with the intention of either keeping them or selling one or two of them on Ebay for a profit but I could let you (or anyone else here) have one or both of them for what I paid for them if I decide not to use them myself.
What price are you looking for in either GBP or crypto? Probably not for me as I have $125 coupon from Bitmain that they did not let me use for A3 when I ordered it but they do let me use it for L3+ and it should still be shipping in March. I think I might try another power supply sourced locally as while the PSU price is reasonable, shipping cost goes from $110 for just the miner to $170 for miner + PSU.

Quote:
So what you gonna be growing in the hydroponics, its a good idea, like you said your already half way there so you might as well.
I don't know, it's just an idea. When I was looking for fans and ducting most of them are listed for hydroponics so like you say I will already have half of it in place so might as well. Nothing commercial just a bit for ourselves, would be experience for kids as well as they grow up to see where the food really comes from and not the supermarket. Oh man, I might end up with chickens and piglets running in the yard soon.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure

Last edited by ainarssems; 25th February 2018 at 03:51 PM.
Old 25th February 2018, 04:58 PM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

Quote:
I really need to look at getting some LINDA, I mean I have no excuses with my wife's name being the same
haha, really!?

The only reason I bought some LINDA initially was because my other half is also called Linda!

I bought a few million of it when it was just a few weeks old and selling for just a few sats per coin. At the time it was a very risky buy and difficult to tell if it was just another sh**coin but I decided to take a chance and buy some anyway, mainly because of the name. Nothing really happened with it for months; in fact it dropped right down to 1 sat for a while (wish I'd bought more then!) and everyone thought it was dead but then development and interest in it seemed to pick up.

It's a mineable coin too by the way, using the Scrypt algo, so you should be able to mine it with an L3+ (haven't tried it myself).

Linda Coin is probably still a risky investment but development rumours are that a new wallet is to be released within a week or two and that it may be getting listed on a few larger exchanges very soon. With that and the news of more affordable masternodes in a few months' time, I think the price could rise substantially. Or it could drop to zero ... who knows, haha ... the fun of crypto investing. Certainly with a circulating supply of over 8 billion, it's never going to get to BTC prices, but I think there's room for a 100x increase, and maybe even 1000x.

Quote:
What price are you looking for in either GBP or crypto? Probably not for me as I have $125 coupon from Bitmain that they did not let me use for A3 when I ordered it but they do let me use it for L3+ and it should still be shipping in March. I think I might try another power supply sourced locally as while the PSU price is reasonable, shipping cost goes from $110 for just the miner to $170 for miner + PSU.
I don't know yet ... I'll work out a price when I have time. There's a PSU with each of them and the cost of postage and duty to factor in. I was hoping to perhaps double my money if I sell them on Ebay but if I'm selling to someone here I'm happy with cost price, or just a very small profit would be nice. Still deciding whether or not to keep one of them myself but I'm running out of places to put them ...

Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust
Old 25th February 2018, 06:51 PM

Quote:
I am far from turning rigs off, they earn less but they still earn more than they spend in electricity and extra heating is welcome at this cold spell of weather. Are you running RX580 with the same settings for ETH as for CryptoNight, mine definitely will not run at the same settings and need less agressive overclock. Less than £2 per card might not be much if you only have 2 cards but when you have 10 cards it's still about £500 with £95 electricity costs and you do not have to babysit it all day.
It got down to £4 a day for the whole rig on Nicehash when I turned it off - 2 Vegas and 2 580s all doing Cryptonight and using £1.85 a day in electricity. I've turned it back on doing ETN now because I was cold! It makes a surprising difference to the temperature upstairs and proportionally how hard the heating has to work.

Quote:
If it crashes every 2 days so be it, if it restarts itself just have OverdriveNToool batch file set to apply your clock settings for GPUs and then miner to start with 5 second delay, if it just freezes up restart it manually, it does not take much time, just check on it couple of times a day like when you have a cupper.
One 580 stops responding after a couple of hours and if I force cast-xmr to stop (because it won't quit cleanly), it crashes the whole rig, resets all the overclock settings and has to be rebooted. Vegas are a pain after a reboot as I'm sure you know. I re-seated all the risers earlier and fired it up again with a single 580 and its still going after a few hours so fingers crossed its just the risers. I should really hot-glue them in to the slots as I've had problems with them before.

Since its not really earning anything of note, I've nothing to lose having a play with some other algos to see what else it can do
Old 26th February 2018, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delboy View Post
Nice find on the Asic site, bit annoyed to see both my s9 and l3+ are not the quicker models despite buying them after the release of the faster ones directly from Bitmain.
The early ones were faster but there were stability issues i believe, so they tweaked it. The 13.5TH ones are supposed to be the better ones overall from what I read.

Previous :
1998 S8 PF 4.2 V8 D2 - Gearbox died ~120k
2002 S8 FL 4.2 40v V8 D2 Prins LPG - Engine valves met pistons ~230K

Also :
1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0l (Post Apocalyptic makeover)
2003 Brabus Smart FourTwo (should sell)
2003 Mazda Rx8 2.3 (might sell)
Old 26th February 2018, 12:20 PM

Quote:
It got down to £4 a day for the whole rig on Nicehash when I turned it off - 2 Vegas and 2 580s all doing Cryptonight and using £1.85 a day in electricity. I've turned it back on doing ETN now because I was cold! It makes a surprising difference to the temperature upstairs and proportionally how hard the heating has to work.
I've considered turning things off at times, but that's because crypto is low at the moment. The amount of coins you are getting are the same or maybe a touch higher as people bow out....I've seen LCC go from ~18 a day up to ~22 a day at the moment as people tried and then switched as the coin dropped in value. I'm grabbing coins as fast as I can as the market can easily move....I mean if LCC goes back to $7 rather than the $3 it is now, i'll have been making $154 a day where as it's just $66....And who knows maybe in a year they'll be worth $20 and i'll have earnt $440 a day.....The price *NOW* is on only relative to if you sold them now and since we can't it's more or less an arbitrary number!

With my GPU rig i've swapped ~monthly to a different coin to grab what I can BCH, Electronium and Trezzar coin. At the time they all did well, but with the crash, less so....however all the coins looked interesting and they'll probably go back up and beyond given time. I find I switch coin and often algorithms every month or so to a coin that's performing better and one that has a reasonable return of coins....Thinking Pirl or Musicoin next on that basis, Ether may be performing marginally better, but it's such a slog for a minimal percentage of ETH that means it has to *REALLY* do well versus some of the lower value coins that only need a small shift to return big!

Previous :

Also :
Old 26th February 2018, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulfilias View Post
I've considered turning things off at times, but that's because crypto is low at the moment. The amount of coins you are getting are the same or maybe a touch higher as people bow out....
Not even close in my case unfortunately. Mid-January my rig was doing 1.8mBTC a day with Cryptonight on Nicehash. By the time I added the 580s at the end of Jan it had dropped to 1.2 - the 580s brought it back to 1.8. By last weekend it had dropped below 0.6 I switched it to ETN for a bit but difficulty is so high on that its only making 100 a day now.

I'm not sure why all of a sudden the 580s won't play with the Vegas any more either - using Cast-xmr or Claymore they just lock up at random and crash the whole rig. Reseating the risers did nothing so its switched off again for now. Nicehash says 0.85mBTC if I can get all four cards to play together so thats borderline turn-it-back-on, but I don't have the time to mess with it at the moment. If I'd been fixing D2s instead of burning time fiddling with this damn rig I'd have made far more money than it's mined so far Fiddling with the rig is a lot warmer though, and it does make a very good clothes dryer
Old 26th February 2018, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Not even close in my case unfortunately. Mid-January my rig was doing 1.8mBTC a day with Cryptonight on Nicehash. By the time I added the 580s at the end of Jan it had dropped to 1.2 - the 580s brought it back to 1.8. By last weekend it had dropped below 0.6 I switched it to ETN for a bit but difficulty is so high on that its only making 100 a day now.
Ahhh....Nicehash. Yeah. Not particularly a fan, though I started off with it and it's useful for it's calculator. However you're renting power rather than mining for yourself. It's easier and you don't have to coin watch, work out wallets or pools, but you only get BTC

My general theory is that if nicehash can pay you for your mining, they are taking a cut and you should be able to do better on your own

Previous :

Also :