A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 20th February 2016, 06:55 AM

Default New Car time

its getting time for a new car, my 2005 d3 has been exceptional, and apart from a few bits and pieces its been fantasticly reliable. slight delay in changing as some little corso has just rear ended me and im waiting on the insurance repair being done.

was happy when insurance man said dont worry we will give you a like for like car while its being repaired, was less happy when it turned out their like for like is a BMW 530.

but what to get next, the D4 seems obvious, but, ive seen conflicting reports on how big the boot is, the boot is quite important to me and the 4 to 5 trips a year to france involve a full load, so

is the boot a lot smaller than the D3 which is 500L
Ive seen loads of threads with happy D4 owners so im guessing the ride will have improved no end since my 2005 model, and i have no complaints with the ride on mine. whats the feeling on D4's now you have owned it for a while, the D3s always seemed to have various electrical issues, is there anything similar on the D4

only other issue is the minefield of finding one with the myriad of options, not too worried about B&O but what are the must haves. though this issue seems to be the same for audi and bmw. only the Jag Xj seems to have gone for a very easy method of getting everything options wise
A8 4.2TDI - Ice Silver, Comfort heated/cooled/massage Seats, Alcantara, Extended Leather pack, Ambient light pack, Solar roof, Night Vision, Lane change assist, Audi presense, Audi BrakeGuard, ACC Cruise, Blinds, Quad Air, AMI, Online services, Parking with rear Camera, Aluminium brushed inlays, Adaptive Zenons, High beam assist, Bose Sound, and more

Gone but not forgotten: A8 D3 2005- AMI HDD, Audible Parking, TV, NAV, Bluetooth, Hybrid TV, Aftermarket headrest monitors, Rosstech VCDS / Vagcom
Old 20th February 2016, 10:15 AM

From what I can gather the "Facelifted" D4 has more boot space than the original models, it seems that Audi made the decision to try and redress the issue due to negative feedback. On the earlier D4's they had taken the opportunity to put all of the controls for rear passengers into the armrest in the centre and then use space that used to exist in the boot behind the rear seats to put all the control gear and electrics. I would be interested to see a definitive measurement of D3 standard boot depth and height vs D4 original vs D4 facelift to know for sure.

I find it incredible that in a large car that can carry up to 5 people they chose to put all of the rear controls on the armrest which then has to be folded away if the centre seat is needed. . . . . Duhhhhh

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs

Last edited by Architex_mA8tey; 20th February 2016 at 10:17 AM.
Old 20th February 2016, 10:16 AM

Hi. I don't have any real experience of the D4, but I think I read the earlier boots were smaller than the later models (guess Audi relocated some electrics or something in the later D4s).

Regarding the ride, I'm not a massive fan of the D3's at slow speed, at speed I think the ride is great. From what I've heard from D4 owners the ride is pretty much the same as the D3. It's no magic carpet ride like the Mercs tend to have.

Someone with more experience than me will be along soon I'm sure.

2007 Mini Cooper S R56

2008 D3, gone, but not forgotten after 9 years and 90k.
Old 20th February 2016, 10:48 AM

what year would the larger booted facelift model be, from what i have read the smaller boot model is 335 L againsta 500 in the D3, i couldnt make do with that

and likewise if the facelift is 2014+ i probably cant afford it
A8 4.2TDI - Ice Silver, Comfort heated/cooled/massage Seats, Alcantara, Extended Leather pack, Ambient light pack, Solar roof, Night Vision, Lane change assist, Audi presense, Audi BrakeGuard, ACC Cruise, Blinds, Quad Air, AMI, Online services, Parking with rear Camera, Aluminium brushed inlays, Adaptive Zenons, High beam assist, Bose Sound, and more

Gone but not forgotten: A8 D3 2005- AMI HDD, Audible Parking, TV, NAV, Bluetooth, Hybrid TV, Aftermarket headrest monitors, Rosstech VCDS / Vagcom
Old 20th February 2016, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by limoncello View Post
what year would the larger booted facelift model be, from what i have read the smaller boot model is 335 L againsta 500 in the D3, i couldnt make do with that

and likewise if the facelift is 2014+ i probably cant afford it
335?! Wow. They really reduced it by about 30%?

2007 Mini Cooper S R56

2008 D3, gone, but not forgotten after 9 years and 90k.
Old 20th February 2016, 03:34 PM

yes if thats correct theresno way i would be able to live with it, its pretty pathetic for a large car, the xj has 520L the S Class 560 Litre not that i fancy driving around in a holiday inn

Old 20th February 2016, 05:46 PM

Take a look at the D4 brochures I posted here...... http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=11030

In summary 335 litres is correct, for the hybrid model only

The D4 is a different shape to the D3 boot, it is not as "long" but is wider as the electronics have been moved from inside the rear quarters to behind the rear seats.

The 2010 D4 has 510 litres of space, is that actually bigger than a D3?

In the "facelift" 2014+ cars they moved things around a bit, pushing up to 520 litres. However the EU6 diesels loose a bit of space at only 490 litres, as they have an ad-blue tank in the rear quarter.

Having driven a D3 and various D4s over the last 12 months (along with a couple of A7s and A6 Avants), the A8's are not much between them in boot space!

The D4 is a huge step forwards from the D3, but it can be very spec dependant. Have a read of the brochures, decide what you want and what you "need" and then look for a car to suit. High spec cars tend to sell in 24 hours, low spec can sit for months.
Old 20th February 2016, 05:56 PM

Ah yes one of our drivers had a hybrid to try while his D3 was in being serviced and it's got a higher boot floor due to the batteries being under the boot. It was so lacking that we couldn't get 2 peoples luggage in the boot and had to put one large case on the front seat instead!

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs
Old 20th February 2016, 06:14 PM

Yeah - I don't know how many Hybrid's they sold - but moral of the story is to avoid them!!!!
Old 20th February 2016, 06:21 PM

well that sounds a lot more positive, if the 2010+ have 500+L i would be happy with that, will take a look at the brochures and see what the must haves are