A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Wheels and Tyres

D3 - Wheels and Tyres Refurbing, center caps, tyre brands, tyrefitters - discuss it here

Old 30th August 2019, 10:19 PM

Second pair of PS4 arrived to be fitted Saturday

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 30th August 2019, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapdragon View Post
Maybe worth bringing it up with VOSA.
They should be recalled when you think they can recall Peanuts because it doesn't say May contain nuts on the label.

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-recalls-a...-safety-defect
Just had a recall at work because label saying contains 'Soya' was not in bold font

8 history:
Old 6th September 2019, 04:50 PM

I think I should have gone for 235/45R17 instead of 225/45R17, Michelin are very narrow and very big grooves which help to avoid aquaplaning but it's rather small contact area, still achieves impressive grip. And I could have used a bit higher sidewall for more ground clearance, keep hitting things with underside.

8 history:
Old 22nd September 2019, 08:57 PM

It's great to be on Michelin PS4 on all corners on A6 after my little suspension arm misadventure that damaged tyre as well. So I guess it's good I did not change fronts for PS4 earlier as they have been standing at home for about 3 weeks.

I have been a long term user of second hand premium brands and Michelin have always been my favourite, mostly because they do not loose performance over old age like other top brands. They do loose some but less and more gradually.

Pirelli, Dunlop, Good Year are good when new but 3-4 years old performance just drops off the cliff, you start sliding around and as you are sliding they wear out quickly as well so it's good if you buy new and do a lot of miles but not great if you poodle along 2-3k miles per year.

Continental are a bit better with aging, the last I had from Continental was ContiSport 3 which were inferior to PS2 at the time, never heard anything about CS4, CS5 from what I heard was proper sh@t lot worse than CS3 but the latest CS6 is supposed to be top dog even better than PS4, I still sided with PS4 due to my past experience about ageing even if I do a lot more miles these days.

The grip on Three-A P606 was not bad but PS4 feel so much better in every way. I could go on and on about every way how PS4 is better, I can run them at lower pressure, get more grip, more comfort and more mileage. Last set of Michelin I bought second hand was 7-7.5mm, did 20k miles was still able to sell on ebay, CS3 bought about the same, did 18k miles, was nothing left to sell, was probably challenging the legality as they were very worn on sides.

Michelin tyres seem to bee a lot narrower and a bit higher for the same size so I wish I would have gone 235 wide instead of 225 so that's a consideration to make. It's a narrow tyre with very wide grooves and a little contact area, makes it good for resisting aquaplaning and amazingly still manages to get great grip

8 history:
Old 22nd September 2019, 10:11 PM

Recently fitted Goodyear Eagle F1s to the D2 QS and they are simply excellent.

Very quiet, comfortable and grip very well. All in an excellent and recommended comfortable tyre.

S8 has a new set of Avon ZZV5s all round as I wanted to try them, for the money they are good. Not in the Michelin/ Conti/ Goodyear bracket but perfectly decent for the money and similar to the Falkens I had on it before.

As for the A2, that has a set of Falken all seasons on it and they are perfectly decent for what they are. Good in the summer and amazing in the winter, especially with a little snow the A2 was unbeatable.
2002 Audi D2 2.8 A8 QS - Audi Silver
--