A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 16th May 2018, 02:01 PM

Just bear in mind that life and ideas change, you may decide you want to cross europe in it one summer, if an MX5 still ticks that box, go for it, I'm about to head down to France and northern spain in my A4, will let you know how it goes. Assuming an injector doesn't f**k it all up because its in the bad year range
Old 16th May 2018, 02:08 PM

Wow, great response, thanks guys.

The MX5 is a weird one, it's really not my sort of car but every time I've driven one, especially somewhere like the island, it is just so much fun.

1781cc - thanks for sharing your own experience of these, it's a lovely car you've got. I'm still not sold on an auto for what I want and i'm not sure the 3.0TDi would be the best bet for island blasting but it is, in my head, what I want!

ainarssems - I'd probably try to find a well kept older one, however I'm not sure how many will still be knocking around with injector problems about 12 years after it all surfaced? Surely they've all been sorted by now (he says optimistically!)?!

HPsauce - you know your island living! I live in Sandown, about 200 yards from the beach. Yay! No point living on the isle of wight and not being on top of a beach! There are people here who have literally not been to Freshwater or Yarmouth in 25 years near me! Island living does strange things to your sense of distance!

It is amazing how cheap both of these cars are to pick up these days. Probably cheaper in the winter!

2002 D2 S8 - Avus Silver, Valcona red leather, Dark Myrtle wood inserts, Heated rear seats, Heated windscreen, Auto dim rear view mirror, Bose, Xenon Plus, Servotronic, Extended leather, Heat & UV Reflective glass & Ski hatch. Gearbox went bang but she's sleeping safely away.
Old 16th May 2018, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1781cc View Post
Just bear in mind that life and ideas change, you may decide you want to cross europe in it one summer, if an MX5 still ticks that box, go for it, I'm about to head down to France and northern spain in my A4, will let you know how it goes. Assuming an injector doesn't f**k it all up because its in the bad year range
This is a good point but it wouldn't be a long term relationship. Different cars needs needed for bombing the isle of wight and cruising Europe! I did the south of France about 18 years ago in my V12 XJ-S and that was what that car was made for!

2002 D2 S8 - Avus Silver, Valcona red leather, Dark Myrtle wood inserts, Heated rear seats, Heated windscreen, Auto dim rear view mirror, Bose, Xenon Plus, Servotronic, Extended leather, Heat & UV Reflective glass & Ski hatch. Gearbox went bang but she's sleeping safely away.
Old 21st May 2018, 02:37 PM

The wife has had a B7 3.0TDI for the last 5 years and it's been great. Goes very well. Only issues we have had are a few injectors, a few rear-parking sensors and a roof malfunction light which came on in October so didn't cause us too much consternation until the following "Summer".

Turns out the bushings on the roof operation motor can come off very easily and cure was to replace the motor. This was a very reasonable £95 at the time, fitted, by www.vagpro.co.uk * in Leicester who always has a supply of refurbished motors in stock.

* = I am not affiliated to the company in any way but if you have any roof issue on a VAG product, he's your man.
Old 21st May 2018, 02:41 PM

Thanks for the link, a good roof person is always worth knowing, had no issues on my old cab, but didn't know anyone who was any good so that was lucky!