A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 15th December 2020, 09:28 PM

Default WITW - Ricky's van attack

Ok as a few of you have already figured, and probably inevitably, Ricky D's lovely green S8 has made it's way to the workshop following it's unfortunate incident with a van while parked. Mike and I went over and picked it up with a trailer and brought it back for further investigation.

Ricky kept his extraordinary wheels so I stuck some spares on for the journey home. We all agreed they rather suit it!

Getting it on the lift was no easy task with the rear end steering wherever it wanted! In the end I put it on forwards, since I would be mostly working on the rear end anyway.

It is leaking so much oil even BP is looking smug!

Uh-oh - a crack...

The rear subframe took the brunt of the impact and all the control arms are still intact. This is the bolt from the front right subframe bush!

The crack is along a weld and is about 50mm long by 1mm wide. There is a scuff on the fuel tank as the subframe came in to contact with it, but the tank is still fine.

You can see here how bent the subframe is. There is a dent in the mounting pad just in front of the threaded boss which is what has caused the crack.

This bump in the subframe bush (from the solid boss where the bolt fits) is what caused the dent in the mounting pad.

A closer look at the crack. This would be trivial to tig weld, were it not for the plastic fuel tank right next to it!

The subframe folded like tinfoil

The front lower arm mount is distended and twisted

Since the subframe is dead anyway I cut the bush out to get a good look at the threaded boss before proceeding. The good news is that the boss is still perpendicular to the body and has not shifted. It measures within 2mm of my Murple which means I'm 99% sure this can be saved

The lower rear bush tore out of the arm

The funky dual exhaust was made in one single piece and was a bit of a bugger to remove

and unfortunately tore apart under its own weight Not sure what I'm going to do about this at the moment, but I'll probably cut it in to sections and join them with sleeve clamps, then weld this back together.

Stripped the suspension with the subframe in place as it's easier than on the floor since it doesn't move about

The lower arm front bush went splat! I've never seen a rubber bush squished out of shape like this before

I'm learning lots of useful things for when it comes to rear subframe removal and refurbishment, like the handbrake cable bracket is an arse to get to! Its bolted through the diff mount with both the heat shield and fuel tank in the way so the front of the subframe has to be lowered to gain access.

Got it in the end

I left the driveshafts on the diff since they can stay put when it's transferred to the replacement subframe, but most of the rest came off

Some ballast in the boot to make up for the weight I'm about to remove!

Removal of the rear subframe is the same as for the front - lower the car to the ground, support the subframe, remove all the bolts and lift the car off it

The fuel tank:

With a good bolt in place you can see that the mounting boss is still perpendicular

The plan is to temporarily replace the rear subframe and the right hand suspension components and also the front lower arms since the right front also took an impact, and then see how it responds to a wheel alignment. Assuming it lines up properly and confirms my measurements of the floorpan, I'll pull the subframe and the fuel tank so the crack can be welded.

If you're wondering why not just pull the tank now and get it done, two reasons: 1, I'd rather take the subframe off multiple times than take the tank off even once! 2, my tig guy isn't available until January and I want to know if it can be fixed before then
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	1225
Size:	122.8 KB
ID:	24814   Click image for larger version

Name:	002.jpg
Views:	1198
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	24815   Click image for larger version

Name:	003.jpg
Views:	1206
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	24816   Click image for larger version

Name:	004.jpg
Views:	1173
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	24817   Click image for larger version

Name:	005.jpg
Views:	1209
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	24818   Click image for larger version

Name:	006.jpg
Views:	1217
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	24819   Click image for larger version

Name:	007.jpg
Views:	1147
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	24820   Click image for larger version

Name:	008.jpg
Views:	1156
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	24821   Click image for larger version

Name:	009.jpg
Views:	1147
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	24822   Click image for larger version

Name:	010.jpg
Views:	1141
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	24823  

Name:	011.jpg
Views:	1150
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	24824   Click image for larger version

Name:	012.jpg
Views:	1167
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	24825   Click image for larger version

Name:	013.jpg
Views:	1135
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	24826   Click image for larger version

Name:	014.jpg
Views:	1161
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	24827   Click image for larger version

Name:	015.jpg
Views:	1141
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	24828   Click image for larger version

Name:	016.jpg
Views:	1155
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	24829   Click image for larger version

Name:	017.jpg
Views:	1150
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	24830   Click image for larger version

Name:	018.jpg
Views:	1123
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	24831   Click image for larger version

Name:	019.jpg
Views:	1131
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	24832   Click image for larger version

Name:	020.jpg
Views:	1082
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	24833  

Name:	021.jpg
Views:	1106
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	24834   Click image for larger version

Name:	022.jpg
Views:	1134
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	24835   Click image for larger version

Name:	023.jpg
Views:	1213
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	24836   Click image for larger version

Name:	024.jpg
Views:	1119
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	24837   Click image for larger version

Name:	026.jpg
Views:	1116
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	24839  
Old 16th December 2020, 12:30 AM

“Doctor will see you” a full mri scan gone to right hand.

SOLD. Audi A8L 4.2TDI Silver 2006

Seat Ibiza 1.4tdi Eco 2008 Silver (£0 Tax)sold

NO VCDS rely on Neeldub
Old 16th December 2020, 08:12 AM

Ah! I didn't think it would be long before another series of WITW came along!!
Once again, a really fascinating insight into what can be done - with the right technical knowledge, equipment and, of course, MJs excellent engineering understanding
Old 16th December 2020, 09:04 AM

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Late.jpg
Views:	1075
Size:	146.3 KB
ID:	24843  

Future work on "Red Dwarf": Fridge, solar sunroof, radio-controlled clock, interior and exterior dimming mirrors, Alcantara headlining/pillars/rear shelf, rear US outer lights, passenger memory seat, rear electric (lumbar and headrest) heated seats, Servotronic.
2002 A8 D2 S8 FE - "Red Dwarf" - Misano Red - Platinum/Silver Interior, PDC, Sat Nav Plus with BOSE and hidden Dension Bluetooth, Multi-changer, Heated Front Seats, Bi-Xenons, FE Wheels, Phone Prep with Nokia 6210, Detachable Towbar, Rear Blinds, S8 plate but no other optional extras
1st Place Winner - A8Parts Annual UK Meet 2018
1st Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2018
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2019
2002 A8L D2 with a factory fitted S8 engine and drivetrain - "Evergreen" - Irish Green Pearl (TBC) - magnolia leather seats with magnolia door cards/door trims, magnolia leather head-lining, extended leather pack 3 (dark green leather dash, upper door cards, steering wheel, lower dash, centre tunnel and rear parcel shelf), factory black external trim (in lieu of chrome), self-levelling suspension, Servotronic, Brembo brakes, "gullideckel" / "man-hole cover" / "pie-plate" 8Jx18 polished 10-hole design wheels typically seen on the W12, Park Distance Control, heated windscreen, multifunction steering wheel, Vavona burl (burr-walnut) wood inserts with cream/magnolia door switch trims, phone preparation to the front with Nokia 6091 phone, phone preparation to the rear with Nokia 6091 phone on the central rear console, third phone preparation in the rear centre console, rear blinds, rear headrest release feature, rear electric heated seats with lumbar and recline function (the rear passenger seat has the facility to move the front passenger seat forward), BOSE audio, Rear Screen Entertainment (RSE) with dual factory fitted Alpine screens, integrated DVD player (under the centre of the rear bench with 4 DVD storage slots) and two remote controls (the controls and inputs for the RSE are in the rear centre console and the screens can operate independently of each other,) factory supplied leather headrest covers to hide the rear screens, rear vanity mirrors (standard A8L), dark green rear wedge footrests with cream piping, front passenger memory seat, dark green floor carpeting and mats – piped in cream, rear slumber pillows for the headrests, integrated fridge with integrated tumblers inside the rear centre headrest bar compartment, solar roof, auto-dimming interior and exterior mirrors, factory driver’s seat fire extinguisher, tire pressure monitoring system, first aid kit, 12 V socket in the boot, TRACKER, derestricted – top speed is 155mph plus
2007 A6 Allroad C6 3.0TDI Quattro - Highland Green (Audi Exclusive Colour) - Cream leather interior with Wood, Advanced MMI, Keyless, Bose, Advanced PDC, Sunroof, Heated Memory Seats, Adaptive Xenons, Adaptive Air Suspension, Servotronic

Previous (went to good homes):
2002 A8 D2 2.8 Quattro Sport - "Big Red" - Tornado Red (Special Order) - Twist Interior, PDC, Passenger Memory Seats, Symphony II with BOSE, Heated Front Seats, Bi-Xenons, Auto-dimming Mirrors, 20" FE Wheels, Servotronic Steering
2002 A8 D2 2.8 Quattro Sport - Aqua Blue Pearl - Twist Interior, PDC, Sat Nav Plus with BOSE, Multi-changer, Heated Front Seats, Bi-Xenons, Auto-dimming Mirrors, Avus Wheels

Old 16th December 2020, 11:57 AM

I have mixed emotions; on one hand I'm ecstatic to have my car featured on WITW, but on the other hand I wish it was under different circumstances.

MJ now that you've stripped down the rear end I can really see the extent of the damaged components. It was really difficult for me to see this whilst on the ground without a reference point.

I cant remember if I showed you the damage to the van that hit my car?

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1.PNG
Views:	1049
Size:	1.86 MB
ID:	24844  

1988 E30 Coupe - Royalblau Metallic

2003 S4 Avant - Light Silver Mettalic

2016 S5 Coupe Black Edition - Ibis White

Last edited by Conan_the_Librarian; 16th December 2020 at 03:40 PM. Reason: Insert picture
Old 16th December 2020, 12:36 PM

I think the S8 won that battle then.

Its impossible to see any damage at all at the front, other than the wheel being in the wrong place. The subframe had shifted but thats not the extent of it, hence changing all four control arms as a first step as the bush in the right lower rear is looking a bit squished. All the subframe bolts are in the right place so if control arms don't correct it then a replacement front subframe is also in order, but we'll have to wait and see on that.

The damage to the body at the rear is pretty superficial in the end as the hard points are all in the same place. This is what happened:

As the subframe moved forward, rotating around the bolt (yellow arrow) the solid block in the bush (yellow hash) ran out of travel and started pushing through the upper bush face (red circle).

This movement pushed on the subframe mounting pad, moving it upward (orange). As the cast aluminium moved, it was constrained by the threaded boss (purple) which is a very solid chunk of stuff. The energy was therefore imparted to the area in front of the boss, which moved upward slightly (green arrows) and cracked the weld.

The rear of the mounting pad (purple area) is untouched and still where it should be, so welding up the crack will put the strength back in that area and everything should align up just fine again.

The D2s use an amazingly strong aluminium alloy. I remember when we repaired the sill damage to Big Red, trying to bend the metal back in to position took a remarkable amount of force. It is much harder than steel of the era.

Back when I had my first D2 3.7 a colleague driving a mk1 Renault Laguna ran in to the back of it in stop-start motorway traffic. The Laguna was destroyed and had a D2-shaped void where it's bumper and radiator used to be and had to be towed away. My A8's bumper was scratched and the aluminium trim came off, but was otherwise unharmed

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	rearsubframepad.jpg
Views:	1065
Size:	130.2 KB
ID:	24846   Click image for larger version

Name:	goldeneye.gif
Views:	1061
Size:	1.00 MB
ID:	24847  
Old 16th December 2020, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
The funky dual exhaust was made in one single piece and was a bit of a bugger to remove

and unfortunately tore apart under its own weight Not sure what I'm going to do about this at the moment, but I'll probably cut it in to sections and join them with sleeve clamps, then weld this back together.
Unfortunately quite a common issue with stainless systems - had one made up on my bit of French tat, which is notorious for having no support between the exquisite 8-2-1 manifold flexi joint and the mid box, which lives just behind the back seat! Fabricator managed to create an additional mount using some of those cotton reel style rubber bushes and some spare holes in a bracket hanging under the front seats.

Mine has one sleeved joint half way along to aid removal

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 16th December 2020, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Back when I had my first D2 3.7 a colleague driving a mk1 Renault Laguna ran in to the back of it in stop-start motorway traffic. The Laguna was destroyed and had a D2-shaped void where it's bumper and radiator used to be and had to be towed away. My A8's bumper was scratched and the aluminium trim came off, but was otherwise unharmed
It's a big digression, but that reminded me of an unfortunate "event" in the late 1970s at the massive Shepherds Bush "Squareabout" when I was on my way to work.
A Fiat hatchback of some sort was in front of me at the Give Way line and drove off but then stopped for reasons I never did find out. I'd started just after him and was glancing to my right to check on traffic coming round and rear-ended him at full throttle though low speed so no-one was hurt.
His Fiat had a Triumph Dolomite shaped indentation right up to the back seat!
My Dolomite had a slight "ding" in the centre front below the badge between the two grilles and one of the underriders on the front bumper bent slightly back.
His car was a write-off, mine was totally driveable and cost very little to fix.
I don't know what 1970s Fiats were made of but if it was steel it was VERY thin!
(Before anyone asks, it wasn't a Sprint. 1850HL with overdrive. Tahiti Blue I think)
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!

Last edited by HPsauce; 16th December 2020 at 01:08 PM.
Old 16th December 2020, 02:47 PM

Quote:
I think the S8 won that battle then.

Its impossible to see any damage at all at the front, other than the wheel being in the wrong place. The subframe had shifted but thats not the extent of it, hence changing all four control arms as a first step as the bush in the right lower rear is looking a bit squished. All the subframe bolts are in the right place so if control arms don't correct it then a replacement front subframe is also in order, but we'll have to wait and see on that.

The damage to the body at the rear is pretty superficial in the end as the hard points are all in the same place. This is what happened:

As the subframe moved forward, rotating around the bolt (yellow arrow) the solid block in the bush (yellow hash) ran out of travel and started pushing through the upper bush face (red circle).

This movement pushed on the subframe mounting pad, moving it upward (orange). As the cast aluminium moved, it was constrained by the threaded boss (purple) which is a very solid chunk of stuff. The energy was therefore imparted to the area in front of the boss, which moved upward slightly (green arrows) and cracked the weld.

The rear of the mounting pad (purple area) is untouched and still where it should be, so welding up the crack will put the strength back in that area and everything should align up just fine again.

The D2s use an amazingly strong aluminium alloy. I remember when we repaired the sill damage to Big Red, trying to bend the metal back in to position took a remarkable amount of force. It is much harder than steel of the era.

Incredible breakdown

I love watching aviation disaster documentaries and how the investigators piece together the chain of events leading to the crash or near miss. Your breakdown reminded me of this

1988 E30 Coupe - Royalblau Metallic

2003 S4 Avant - Light Silver Mettalic

2016 S5 Coupe Black Edition - Ibis White

Old 16th December 2020, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
A Fiat hatchback of some sort was in front of me at the Give Way line and drove off but then stopped for reasons I never did find out. I'd started just after him and was glancing to my right to check on traffic coming round and rear-ended him at full throttle though low speed so no-one was hurt.
His Fiat had a Triumph Dolomite shaped indentation right up to the back seat!
My Dolomite had a slight "ding" in the centre front below the badge between the two grilles and one of the underriders on the front bumper bent slightly back.
His car was a write-off, mine was totally driveable and cost very little to fix.
I don't know what 1970s Fiats were made of but if it was steel it was VERY thin!
(Before anyone asks, it wasn't a Sprint. 1850HL with overdrive. Tahiti Blue I think)
Funny that: I had the the same, but in reverse around '87/88: I was in our Fiat Uno, and stopped behind a BL Mini at Bowdon roundabout by the M56, a mile from home. The Mini went to go, so I followed. He stopped, I didn't - and the back of the mini crumpled, whereas my Uno sustained a cracked number plate, but nothing more.

Autos Autos everywhere...
(1) 2015 Tesla Model S: (was 85D, now 90D ). Silent and deadly, and very fast... But not as fast as Ian's M3P-
(2) 2002 D2 S8 Final Edition: Bulletproof and faultless: Brilliant Black with Extended (Red!) Leather. Three-times winner of Best D2 1st prize
(3) 1997 Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo: Scots (! ) Green. Fragile, but beautiful.
(4) 2010 Fiat Panda 100HP. White Pandamonium (Final Edition!!). Pure old-fashioned 6-speed go-karting.