A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Everything Else

D3 - Everything Else Anything that doesnt fit elsewhere

Old 6th December 2020, 02:46 PM

Mission pre heat today...

There are plenty of good guides online on how to do this, so i won't reinvent the wheel..... i'll just add my findings

set the suspension to lift and set it to Jack on

onto axle stands and wheels off, front part of the wheel arch liners off and undertray off...

remove the bumper....

lots to clean within but that's for another day....

remove the drivers side air filter housing and the headlight

it's fiddly getting the aux heater out.... when removing the exhaust on the rear of it be careful when removing it, it's aluminium onto steel.... it will break if you strain it....

it does eventually come out

where the new pump mounts you need to drill out and tap, i did mine M6 as i had a nice Titanium M6 button head bolt...
Build up the new pump and connect the pipes and connect the wiring...

and that's it.... build it all back up and refill the coolant you lost.... about 2 litres comes out when you disconnect the pipes....

Then onto the inside to do the codings....

It gives you additional settings with the HVAC setup on the MMI

and when the timer is set you get 2 little icons on the dash display....

I did set the timer to come on and watch the measuring blocks to watch the pump cycle on and off when playing with the settings....

Can't wait to see it's effect tomorrow morning.... looking at the timer it appears it needs to be set for each day rather than being able to set a weekly schedule.... i'll have to investigate that.....

Last edited by 89forever; 14th August 2021 at 10:01 AM.
Old 9th December 2020, 11:58 AM

having used Trupp's at EM Tuning for all my LED's since forever on a lot of Audi's i was surprised to have a bulb warning chime up for the LED sidelights...
It was borderline, sometimes it would chime, other times it would stay silent... weird!!!
So a quick email to Trupp's to ask if he'd come across it, yes came the instant reply... stick a set of resistors in...

I'd previously bought a set for my VW CC bought a pair of these from Trupp's....

all assembled and job's a goodun' no more chimes.

Onto another niggle today, since buying the A8 the windscreen washers weren't great, there was bugger all pressure and it dribbled out...
first thoughts were the jets - nope all clear

thinking it was a dying pump, strip down to investigate

normally would swap the pumps to test if a duff pump but the A8 had to have a different pump for the windscreen and headlights.... electrical connection and hose connection are both different.... bugger
So, unclipped the hose and pressed go... dribble dribble...!!! bugger
Took the pump out of the bottle and put it into a cup of water..... stupidly had the outlet point at my crotch... cue suddenly looking like i'd wet myself but the pump worked as it should.... hmmmm

It was then i remembered that previous Audi's had a filter where the pump sits in the bottle....

That'll be the issue then.....!!!

washed both the windscreen filter and the headlight filter and all built back up and now can see through a clean screen.....!!!

Last edited by 89forever; 14th August 2021 at 10:02 AM.
Old 29th December 2020, 01:35 PM

A bit of holiday time during this festive season meant i was able to revisit the Aux Heater install.... whilst it had made a difference and had reduced warm up a time a bit, the more i thought about the more it wasn't making me think WOW, what a difference......
So i Googled, and read.... and read a bit more.... and then for good measure, read it all again. None of the install guides mentioned an additional coding requirement on the Auto HVAC side of things....

Channel 21 on Adaptions, change your 0 to 1, press save....

What does that do, i hear you ask???

well once you have rebooted your MMI it gives you another additional setting to turn on

It now gives me the engine preheat option, rather than just aux heat and aux vent.

Time will tell if it makes a further improvement...

Last edited by 89forever; 14th August 2021 at 10:02 AM.
Old 29th December 2020, 02:59 PM

Hi mate,

Well done on installing the extra parts to the Aux. Heating. The module is one of those without a VCDS label file. I have been meaning to write one but never got round to it.

Since I've some time on my hands with Christmas leave I may as well do it now.

Mine is petrol and without Aux. Heating so I can't interrogate the module for output test numbers. So I was wondering if you could test the label file so far. It's currently only selective output tests and most of them will work except for "Signal for activation of fresh air blower" as I'm unsure of its test number. If you could run the "Signal for activation of fresh air blower" tests and let me know which test works either A,B,C etc.. that will be very useful.

Save the attached label file, delete the .TXT extension, then copy it to LABELS/USER/

Selective output tests will be much more useful than running all of the sequential tests for purging fuel or testing the valves / pumps.

I'll then finish the output tests section then move on to measuring blocks, adaptations etc..

Attached Files
File Type: txt 4E0-910-105.lbl.txt (1.1 KB, 257 views)

2004 A8 3.7q, 1998 A4 2.8q, 1994 Coupe 2.8q SORN,
Old 29th December 2020, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattylondon View Post
Hi mate,

I'll then finish the output tests section then move on to measuring blocks, adaptations etc..
I'll do that tomorrow, i put this together from stuff i found, you may find it useful...

Adaptation

01 8=4˚ aux heat

02 8=4˚ aux heat

03 0= disabled WOT shutoff

06 0=intelligent aux heat/vent

07 1=shut off time aux when ign off

08 1= voice recognition quiet mode

16 1=activate aux heater if required for residual heat function

18 0=shut off when energy manager says so

19 0=use aux heater when required by heater demand

20 1=rear heated seats not switched off after 10 mins

21 1= add another line to MMI

Coding air conditioner Climatronic control unit -J255

The overall code is composed of three subcodes as follows:

Breakdown of code "1" (optional extras):

Code

Meaning

Code number (for conversion if encoding is not performed in Guided Fault Finding)

No assignment (always "1")

Vehicle with auxiliary heater

Vehicle with heated windscreen

Vehicle with heat-absorbing glass

Vehicle with rear Climatronic control unit -E265-

Vehicle with Audi one-touch memory (Fingerprint)

Vehicle with rear roller blind

Vehicle with sun roof with solar cells

Breakdown of code "2" (country version and vehicle model

Vehicle for USA (and Canada)

Vehicle for Japan

Code not used at present (intended for cold climates, e.g. Scandinavia)

512 + 256

Code not used at present, intended for hot climates, e.g. Australia and Saudi Arabia (introduction pending) - The control is set up largely as for the USA.

Vehicle with diesel engine

Vehicle with 8-cyl. engine

Vehicle with 10-cyl. engine

4096 + 8192

Vehicle with 12-cyl. engine

Right-hand drive vehicle

Vehicles with stretched body

Breakdown of code "3" (rear seat heating and ventilation, seat covers and glazing):

Code

Meaning

Vehicles with rear Climatronic control unit - E265- with control for heated rear seats but without control for ventilation for rear seats

65536 +131072

Vehicle with control for heated rear seats and with control for ventilation for rear seats

Seat design (seat covers in vehicles with seat ventilation) - Seat cover version "1".

Seat design (seat covers in vehicles with seat ventilation) - Seat cover version "2".

524288 + 26214

Seat design (seat covers in vehicles with seat ventilation) - Seat cover version "3"

Vehicle glazing

Coding for vehicles with 8-cyl. engine and heat nsulating glass. - Actuation of heated rear window

stays on even at temperatures below 0 °C but time-limited depending on ambient temperature between 2

and 20 min).

2097152 + 1048576

Vehicle glazing - Coding configured with heat insulating glass with infrared characteristic line. - Introduction of this version pending. - Intended e.g. for PR no. "VW8".

Notes

Ventilation for the rear seats is only offered in conjunction with heated rear seats.

If Climatronic front control and display unit -J255- is to be encoded by way of direct entry of number code using function "07 Code control unit", the code numbers of the various versions and the 3 codes have to be added together.

Example: Code "1" e.g. "83" Code "2", "4096" Code "3" (vehicle without

rear Climatronic control unit -E265-) "0" Sum total of codes "1", "2" and "3" = "4179".

Adaption of Climatronic control unit -J255

Adaption channel 01

Basic setting ex factory 000

Temperature increase after start of auxiliary heating/ventilation mode.

This function is in display and operating units fitted at start of production

Not yet active (introduction pending).

- At basic setting 0 the specified temperature in auxiliary heating/ventilation mode is set equal to the specified temperature in air conditioner mode.

- By way of the adaptation function the specified temperature can be increased in 0.5 °C increments by up to 4.0 °C (input value 1...8).

Adaption channel 02

Temperature increase at end of preset auxiliary heating/ventilation period.

This function is in display and operating units fitted at start of production

Not yet active (introduction pending).

- At basic setting 0, the specified temperature in auxiliary heater/ventilation mode is set to the same level as the specified temperature in air conditioning mode.

- By way of the adaption function the specified temperature can be increased in 0.5 °C increments by up to 2.0 °C (input value 1...4).

Adaption channel 03

Basic setting ex factory 001

Compressor shut-off by engine control unit via AC compressor shut-off function.

- At basic setting 1 activation of the AC compressor regulating valve -N280 is disabled as soon as the request is received from the engine control unit.

- By way of the adaption function shut-off of activation of the AC compressor regulating valve -N280 based on AC compressor cut-in can be suppressed by changing the adaption to 0. (The -J255 ignores the request.)

Adaption channel 04

Motor/AC transmission ratio (dependent on compressor motor variant). The assignment to the respective engine is transmitted over the convenience system data bus.

- Adaption cannot be altered

Adaption channel 05

Expanded AC readiness.

- Adaption cannot be altered

Adaption channel 06

Decision-making aid, auxiliary heating/ventilation.

- At setting 0 (basic setting) the -J255 decides (at ignition on, by way of the measured actual and preset specification temperatures), whether the auxiliary heater is started or whether the system operates in auxiliary ventilation mode.

- At setting 1 (last function) the -J255 always requests the last set mode regardless of the measured and preset temperatures.

Adaption channel 07

Shut-off response, auxiliary heating/ventilation.

- At setting 0 (basic setting) the auxiliary heating/ventilation mode is maintained until the preset operating time has elapsed or is switched off manually.

- At setting 1 the auxiliary heating/ventilation is switched off when the engine is switched off.

Adaption channel 08

Reduction of fresh air blower speed with voice recognition. This function is not yet active with Climatronic control units fitted at start of production (introduction pending).

- At setting 0 the fresh air blower speed is not reduced.

- At setting 1...X the fresh air blower speed is reduced by the preset value.

Adaption channel 09

Currently not used (or no readout).

Adaption channel 10

Basic setting ex factory 010

Limitation of air temperature control after evaporator.

- At setting 10 the -J255 can regulate the output of the air conditioner (dependent on the setting) from a temperature as low as 10 °C.

- At setting 05...09 the upper control limit for the temperature of the air downstream of the evaporator is fixed to the preset value (e.g. 05 corresponding to 5°C).

Adaption channel 11

Shut off solar function.

- At setting 1 the line for solar roof operating mode is displayed on the MMI. Operation of the fresh air blower via the solar roof can be switched on and off.

- At setting 0 the line for solar roof operating mode is not displayed on the MMI. If a solar roof is fitted, it cannot be switched off.

Adaption channel 12

Adaption channel 13

Adaption channel 14

Adaption channel 15

Basic setting ex factory 060

Fresh air blower speed in auxiliary heating/ventilation mode.

- At setting 60 the -J255 regulates the maximum voltage at the fresh air blower -V2 e.g. to 6V.

- At setting 30...80 the fresh air blower speed is regulated to the preset value (45 corresponding to 4.5 V for example). Basic setting ex factory: 70 or 60.

Adaption channel 16

Activation of auxiliary heater in residual heat function.

- At setting 0 the -J255 does not activate the auxiliary heater on activating the residual heat function.

- At setting 1 the -J255 activates the auxiliary heater on activation of the residual heat function if additional heat energy is required to achieve or maintain the set temperature.

Adaption channel 17

Display depends on part number.

Currently not used

Adaption channel 18

Deactivation of electrical consumers when requested by energy management control unit

-J644.

- At setting 0 the request is implemented.

- At setting 1 the request is not implemented. But the power output for the consumers concerned is limited by the -J255 to 600 W.

Adaption channel 19

Activation of fuel-powered additional heater (auxiliary heater) on vehicles with diesel engine.

- At setting 0 the additional heater is activated by the J255 if additional heat energy is required to achieve or maintain the set temperature.

- At setting 1 the -J255 does not activate the additional heater in Econ mode (setting on MMI).

Adaption channel 20

Deactivation of rear seat heating (only vehicles with rear Climatronic control unit

-E265). This function is not yet active on control and display units fitted at start of production (phase-in from December 2002).

- At setting 0 the rear seat heating (left and right) is automatically deactivated about 10 minutes after switch-on.

- At setting 1 the seat heating is not switched off automatically.

Adaption channel 21

Deactivation of engine preheating function in auxiliary heater mode. This function is not yet active with Climatronic control units fitted at start of production (introduction pending).

- At setting 0 the line for engine preheating mode is not displayed on the MMI. (The engine is only preheated when surplus heat is available from the auxiliary heater.)

- At setting 1 the line for engine preheating mode is displayed on the MMI. (The engine is preheated if this mode is set.) This setting is not implemented on all vehicles (dependent on the MMI variant). The adaption of the auxiliary/additional heater should be changed in line with the customer’s wishes where appropriate.

Adaption channel 22

Adaption of fresh air blower characteristic (phase-in from December 2002).

- At setting 0 the fresh air blower runs at the speed assigned to that coding.

- At setting 1 the fresh air blower runs at a somewhat lower speed across the full characteristic line.

- At setting 2 the fresh air blower runs at a somewhat higher speed across the full characteristic line. )Corresponds to the characteristic stored for the USA coding.)

Adaption channel 23

Adaption of temperature characteristic (phase-in from December 2002).

- At setting 0 the -J255 regulates the temperature to the values assigned to that coding.

- At setting 1 the temperature in Winter is regulated to a somewhat warmer temperature characteristic.

- At setting 2 the temperature in Summer is regulated to a somewhat warmer temperature characteristic. )Corresponds to the characteristic stored for the USA coding.)

Adaption channel 24

Currently not used

- Intended for reduction of air flow to windscreen after starting (adaption 1, introduction pending).

Adaption channel 25

Currently not used

- Intended for setting to increase air flow to footwell in cooling mode (adaption 1, introduction pending).

Adaption channel 26

Currently not used

- On with vehicles with rear Climatronic control unit -E265, intended to increase the fresh air blower speed accordingly for more rapid attainment of the specified temperature following alteration of the specified temperature (adaption 1, introduction pending).

Adaption channel 81

Currently not used

The chassis number must be deleted via the component protection function after replacing the Climatronic control unit -J255.
Old 29th December 2020, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89forever View Post
A bit of holiday time during this festive season meant i was able to revisit the Aux Heater install.... whilst it had made a difference and had reduced warm up a time a bit, the more i thought about the more it wasn't making me think WOW, what a difference......
So i Googled, and read.... and read a bit more.... and then for good measure, read it all again. None of the install guides mentioned an additional coding requirement on the Auto HVAC side of things....

Channel 21 on Adaptions, change your 0 to 1, press save....

What does that do, i hear you ask???

well once you have rebooted your MMI it gives you another additional setting to turn on

It now gives me the engine preheat option, rather than just aux heat and aux vent.

Time will tell if it makes a further improvement...

I think the engine preheat option only works if you install additional switchover valve that turns off antifreeze flow to engine and sends all to HVAC. If you do not have that valve antifreeze will always go to both HVAC and engine. It's a big lump of metal/ coolant/oil and can soak up a lot of energy so you don't really get much heat in cabin if coolant circulates around engine as well.

If you look at it in perspective it's only 5.5kW heater when your home bolier is about 30kW. Also when you are driving around you use maybe 15-30kW of engine power at 20% efficiency which means you get about 60-120 kW of waste heat. Some of it goes in exhaust, some in coolant but I don't know the split how much in each.

Edit:
It appears you have about 25% usable power, 5% in friction, 30% in coolant and 40% exhaust.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure

Last edited by ainarssems; 29th December 2020 at 11:39 PM.
Old 3rd January 2021, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainarssems View Post
I think the engine preheat option only works if you install additional switchover valve that turns off antifreeze flow to engine and sends all to HVAC.
We'll find out tomorrow lol.....
Old 3rd January 2021, 12:45 PM

In other news Ebay has kept me occupied over the Christmas break.....

When fitting the new spacers, 2 of the wheel bolts on one back hub didn't feel great, so peace of mind i have ordered a new hub.
Also on route....
Complete brake discs and pads front and rear, whilst in there have also ordered a set of HelPerformance brake lines to replace the aged originals
As no knowledge of when last done, i have a complete engine service kit coming. All filters including fuel filter....

A new set of Pirelli P Zero's are on route as well as this is fitted with an aged set of Vredestein's#, which are over 6 years old.

but the most fun will come with the arrival on the new ECU reprogrammer... i used to tinker back in the day and well with the advent of a new turbocharged car it would be rude not too....
Have order a V54 FGTech Galletto 2.....

The sat nav disc is the original 2007 item, so a 2020 version is also on route....

Should all keep me busy for a day or 2 when it all arrives....
Old 10th January 2021, 01:45 PM

Well Mr Postman has been busy, parts have been slowly arriving...

I was going to tackle the brakes yesterday, as despite the cold the sun was out and it was dry.... went to prep the brake discs as these ones were uncoated and i always like to paint the unswept areas as it makes them look better for long as i cannot stand rusty, cruddy brake discs.... Having checked earlier in the week that i had plenty of satin black paint, like a knobhead i failed to check that i had the correct zinc primers.... lockdown prevented going and getting any, so will have to wait for Mr Postman and another dry weekend... Once i'd got over the tantrum i went inside and sulked....
Whilst sulking yesterday i started to look at the ECU programmer i bought, seems i need a laptop now with Windows 7, of the 3 laptops in the house all are Windows 10, so couldn't even play with that...!!!

Today i wanted to do the service. Car into service position

Under tray removed, of course it was covered in historic oil leaks, crud and just was plain manky.... I'd read on another thread how effective (and very cheap) a product called EnlbowGrease was at dissolving this type of crud. I'd attached Amazon and bought 3 squirty bottles for the amzing price of £3.00 delivered for all 3, yes that is £1 a bottle....
Bloody brilliant stuff.... was even better than my normal Rhino TFR.
I will keep an eye on this area to make sure i don't have an oil leak, the car doesn't use any oil but the engine should be oil tight....
Oil dropped, filter changed etc.... everything cleaned up underneath and rinsed down.
Air filters changed, so at least now i have a matched pair....
The pollen filter had a date stamp of 2007.... surely this would have been changed during at least a main dealer service????
It was certainly filthy under there and looked undisturbed...!!!

now all replaced and cleaned and hit with 303 to protect the plastics.

Fuel filter replaced, again with a bloody 2007 date stamp..... FFS and to bring damnation down onto me, of course i got caught in a sudden downpour

Under all the covers, it was a bit dusty and no signs of any oil leak from above... i cleaned and treated all the aluminium parts and cleaned and again hit with 303 to protect.

Even the sun came out to celebrate the finished results...!!!

One lot of jobs ticked off the list at least....!!!

Last edited by 89forever; 14th August 2021 at 10:04 AM.
Old 11th January 2021, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Whilst sulking yesterday i started to look at the ECU programmer i bought, seems i need a laptop now with Windows 7, of the 3 laptops in the house all are Windows 10, so couldn't even play with that...!!!
My Galletto V54 works on W10, but have not done any actual mapping yet on A8, just read the files and some test writes on A6. I am more busy at both jobs on the run up to Christmas as usual and again during lockdown so not had much time, off this week to keep kids company while the school is closed so maybe will get some done during nights.

Quote:
I'd read on another thread how effective (and very cheap) a product called EnlbowGrease was at dissolving this type of crud. I'd attached Amazon and bought 3 squirty bottles for the amzing price of £3.00 delivered for all 3, yes that is £1 a bottle....
Thanks for heads up, I went and bought 3 as well

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure