A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Motoring > Cool Wall

Cool Wall For posting possible 'cool' cars - Please post with a vote so other members can vote on there suitability. A link to an online post should be accompanied by an uploaded photo for longevity please as adverts expire.

View Poll Results: Is the Alfa Brera cool?
The Alfa Brera was cool. 16 64.00%
The Alfa Brera was not cool. 9 36.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old 8th February 2017, 08:48 AM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post
I don't agree there, the Alfas i've had were drivers cars. Buy one.
Ok, you convinced me. I'll add one to my wish-list
------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------
Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust
Old 10th April 2017, 06:43 AM

I've always been on the fence about the Brera and I could never exactly pin-point why.

To put thing into perspective, I'm 30 - just - and have owned, thus far

156, 1.8TS Sport Pack 3
166, 3.0 V6 Super
156, GTA 3.2 V6
156, 1.9 JTD-M Sport
147, 1.6TS Lusso
GTV, 2.0TS
159, 1.9 JTDM Lusso

Even now I also own a Fiat Stilo Abarth, so it's fair to say I like my Alfas and my Italian cars.

Brera is the same platform as the 159 too but the 159 never felt quite as nice to drive as the 147/156 platform. It was less engaging. For a bigger heavier car - built for american market to an extent - it actually had more overall grip but it never inspired the confidence to use it like the previous generations did. The engines also became more GM derived and the range lost the famous Busso V6s that powered the previous generations, which disappointed the purists. Something to do with emissions regs I believe.

The looks on the Brera did disappoint a little, particularly on the lesser spec they didn't look right on tiny wheels. If you could find something like a pro-drive with panaramic roof they sat lower on bigger wheels and looked far more pleasing. Interior combs were similarly hit and miss.

Only reason I dont have an Alfa now is that none of the current range floated my boat at all. The 147/156/GT platform is getting a bit long in the tooth now and the 159/Brera/Spider platform just isn't the fun product you'd hope for. The Giulietta and MiTo are just plain cheap and nasty glum places to be.

I do however anticipate a deposit on a Giulia at some point soon, maybe early next year unless they have some good pre-reg deals in Sept or something.

Factory: finger print, tv, xenons, keyless entry & go, soft close boot, 19s, and probably lots more besides

Done: fixed headlight washer leak, fit Bluetooth in place of factory phone

To do: DAB, DTV, fix soft close boot, get a spare key, investigate NSF bushes,
Old 10th April 2017, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artermis View Post
I do however anticipate a deposit on a Giulia at some point soon, maybe early next year unless they have some good pre-reg deals in Sept or something.
Whilst I've always liked the looks of most Alfas, the performance and handling tends to disappoint generally on most normal models, and I'd rather buy a Fiat in practice - so went for a Coupe 20V turbo, rather than a GTV, for example, and never regretted that.

I also had a Giulia Veloce in front of me yesterday on a twisty A road, and it seemed slow (i.e. couldn't shake me ...)

Autos Autos everywhere...
(1) 2015 Tesla Model S: (was 85D, now 90D ). Silent and deadly, and very fast... But not as fast as Ian's M3P-
(2) 2002 D2 S8 Final Edition: Bulletproof and faultless: Brilliant Black with Extended (Red!) Leather. Three-times winner of Best D2 1st prize
(3) 1997 Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo: Scots (! ) Green. Fragile, but beautiful.
(4) 2010 Fiat Panda 100HP. White Pandamonium (Final Edition!!). Pure old-fashioned 6-speed go-karting.
Old 23rd April 2017, 10:23 AM

I agree that the chassis on the car was more comfort than sport but I was at the time regularly driving from Edinburgh to the south coast of Ireland and it suited that purpose very well. Very comfortable and a good bit of grunt. The replacement v6 also had a good growl when poked. As a B-road bomber it wasn't the most nimble. I chased a friend on a motorbike once up north and he couldn't get away on corners (thanks to the 4 wheel drive), but you were very aware that this was a big ******* getting chucked around. A gaze at the gauges and how high the oil temp went confirmed this!

Had loan of a black 159 (while my Friday afternoon Brera was getting fixed). It was black with a red leather interior. Man that was a ****ing sexy motor. 'Twas a 4 pot diesel but those seats and colour combo were stunning.