A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > For Sale and Wanted > For Sale and Wanted - General

For Sale and Wanted - General Posting for buying / selling your own personal non vehicle related items

Old 12th August 2011, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by devine_nathan View Post
They sold me the twin fan almost certain that it would work, as they have only seen D3's with twin fans.

i am currently in talks with Carl waiting for these D3's to come in to see if they have a single fan model.
youre ahead of me lol. . . most people are!! hope you find what you need

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs
Old 12th August 2011, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by devine_nathan View Post
I dont know mate.

the twin fan is like 600w each, compared to a single with 600w.

so maybe its drawing too much power?

is there anyway around this? how do i find out? its at audi at the moment, and all they are telling me is "its the wrong fan"

all the sensors etc were working before accident, now replacing with twin fan not working.

all plugs are the same, the twin fan doesnt appear to have 2 plugs (the guy at the body shop said it did and he only plugged into one side - but i dont belive him as i looked at it myself), so i dont think i can disconnect one.....i think they are wired together, cant really do anything till i have the car back from Audi

any help would be appreciated, if someone can actually sort this out for me, theres money in it for the helper...........

Do you think its possible to get the twin fans working? audi have confirmed its not a coding issue (who knows if they bothered going that far though)
The fact that they were working before does not mean that they are working now, you need to check sensors/switches and also verify that fans work by connecting them directly to power and check that they are getting power. Might be that something remains unplugged or plugged in in wrong place after repair.
Old 12th August 2011, 10:11 PM

According to Nirro in Barking he says use the right fan!

audi are saying the code coming up is basicaly saying car not speaking to fan control unit (ie wrong fans)

when i get the car back i will take a look to see if things are plugged in.

if those sensors were not working now, surely it would throw a code and audi would have told me? (they have just done a 2hour health check on the car)

If you think you can get these fans working, or think they should work, and you solve the problem il gladly give you £100
Old 12th August 2011, 10:54 PM

I never had anything to do with d3 but i could surely use £100, where are you located? I will try to get wiring diagrams working and go from there. Is the car overheating because fans are not working?
Old 13th August 2011, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainarssems View Post
I never had anything to do with d3 but i could surely use £100, where are you located? I will try to get wiring diagrams working and go from there. Is the car overheating because fans are not working?
Car is not overheating, unless idling for 20mins + in the heat.

i had it idling at 90deg for quite some time.

driven about 150miles, doesnt overheating while driving.

when i get the car back, i can remove the undertray and confrirm if there is one plug or two and how the fans are wired, im pretty certain there is one plug and 2 fans wired together (hard wired on one side of the cowlng)
Old 14th August 2011, 02:44 PM

I do not know exact details of your car, below is for 2004 with BFM engine

Looked at wiring diagrams, no issues come to mind there. By the looks in etka each fan has separate plug which makes sense as you should be able to replace one separately if one packs up, both then plug in control unit and then single cable to wiring harness, control unit should come with radiator, cowl and fans and is not a replacement part. Control unit work as simple switch, it is connected to + and to ground and when it receives signal from ECU it switches fans on.

Check that everything is plugged in properly, then check if fans are working by connecting them directly to power, check for power and ground connection to control unit then check for signal from ECU to fan control unit in blue/yellow and blue/purple wires it should be simple 5V or 12V when fans should come on, finally check output in brown wires from control unit, they should have 12V coming out when getting signal from ECU. You can also try to connect 5V or 12V to signal wire to the control unit to see if the fans will come on.

I have included pdf's from ETKA and current flow diagram below
Attached Files
File Type: pdf fan diagram.pdf (188.8 KB, 272 views)
File Type: pdf fans.pdf (89.3 KB, 315 views)
Old 14th August 2011, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainarssems View Post
I do not know exact details of your car, below is for 2004 with BFM engine

Looked at wiring diagrams, no issues come to mind there. By the looks in etka each fan has separate plug which makes sense as you should be able to replace one separately if one packs up, both then plug in control unit and then single cable to wiring harness, control unit should come with radiator, cowl and fans and is not a replacement part. Control unit work as simple switch, it is connected to + and to ground and when it receives signal from ECU it switches fans on.

Check that everything is plugged in properly, then check if fans are working by connecting them directly to power, check for power and ground connection to control unit then check for signal from ECU to fan control unit in blue/yellow and blue/purple wires it should be simple 5V or 12V when fans should come on, finally check output in brown wires from control unit, they should have 12V coming out when getting signal from ECU. You can also try to connect 5V or 12V to signal wire to the control unit to see if the fans will come on.

I have included pdf's from ETKA and current flow diagram below
Are you saying by this that i should be able to get the twin fans working?

so two seperate fans, wired to a control unit on the cowling + 1 plug from the car?

Forgot to mention, i am located London/Stevenage, can meet within reasonable distance if your looking to help a brother out and earn a few pennies

Last edited by FireStorm; 14th August 2011 at 03:25 PM.
Old 15th August 2011, 03:13 PM

There is no separate diagrams for single fan, without seeing both version in flesh I cannot say for 100%. From what I have seen it just either you have 1 fan for cooler climates or 2 fans for warmer and most cars in UK came with 2 fans. I do not know if control wire and power wire is there for second fan but I don't see why at least 1 fan would not work.

I assume you or whoever looked at car have checked that it gets warm enough for fans to come on and checked fuses. There are 3 fuses for fans 1 in main fuse holder 5A fuse no17 for fan control and 2 60A fuses in right side A pillar for power supply 1 for each fan.
Old 15th August 2011, 03:49 PM

Quote:
wires it should be simple 5V or 12V when fans should come on, finally check output in brown wires from control unit, they should have 12V coming out when getting signal from ECU. You can also try to connect 5V or 12V to signal wire to the control unit to see if the fans will come on.
Looking deeper it is not simple voltage signal from ECU but PWM so ignore this part
Old 15th August 2011, 06:16 PM

There is not much information about diagnostics in ElsaWin about these newer cars as that was moved to Vas-PC and that requires VAS5054 interface connected to the car. Anyway it looks that if you connect using VCDS, connect to ECU with ignition on and engine not running and go in output tests and cycle through them there should be output test for fans so you can activate fans on the cold engine to see if they will come on.

Do you still have old fan that you can connect to test?