A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Motoring > Cool Wall

Cool Wall For posting possible 'cool' cars - Please post with a vote so other members can vote on there suitability. A link to an online post should be accompanied by an uploaded photo for longevity please as adverts expire.

View Poll Results: Cool or Not Cool
Cool 16 100.00%
Not Cool 0 0%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old 7th February 2012, 06:26 AM

Weekend drifting I hate changing halfshafts too
Old 7th February 2012, 10:00 AM

1.Loosen halfshafts

2. Drift

3. Go back and collect halfshafts

4. Job done

Nite Blue 3.0L SE Quattro
Old 7th February 2012, 08:46 PM

I never managed to bend/ twist a P5 halfshaft though

Yes 47p2, it'd almost embarrass my modded XR4i to the ton, which was where the 4i would start to pull away (if in right gear & thrashed) midrange was most impressive & would kick down at 80 (it'd do just over 60 in 1st) which would invariably slap one's head into the head restraint
Definitely felt 'livelier' than my S8, different driving style though, it took me across the Julian Alps into Yugoslavija, & just my luck when I was in the middle of 3 months out there, that damned war broke out. I had a few 'interesting' experiences getting out......

Other vehicles
1968 Rover P5B Coupe (Modified & V-Quick, but I have to sell this now ... Boo Hoo!)
'92 Mitsubishi Pajero V6 (Petrol) Super Exceed (Gone now)
'06 Harley Davidson Night Train
Oh Yes....... The '98 PF S8!

Last edited by Night Train; 7th February 2012 at 08:55 PM.
Old 7th February 2012, 09:31 PM

^^^ Sounds like a bit of a beast, I'm guessing the bodywork requires attention now?

Another Rover I used to own, the car I loved to hate
After reading how the Rover 800 Coupe was hand finished using only the finest materials I travelled the length of the country (well as far as London) searching for a nice example. I eventually saw one not far from me and although it was needing a little work the body was in fantastic condition, so I drove it home. I spent a fortune renewing all the suspension, brakes and sorted out a few electrical gremlins and after all that I still hated it.

51 years separate these two Rovers

Old 7th February 2012, 09:52 PM

You really wouldn't want to know how many Rover 800's we've had over the years. Our kids say that at school (well for ALL their school years probably) we were known as "the Rover family" as we always had at least 2.
Usually they were acquired as company cars for me then passed to SWMBO when I was due for a new one.
Never had a coupe though - doesn't work well with 3 kids.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 8th February 2012, 01:44 PM

47p2

You'd be right about the bodywork....... same with all P5's unless kept in a dehumidified garage
My front wings are still pretty good (can see the spot weld marks through the paintwork, so know they've never been repaired there!

In interesting factoid..... The P5B Coupe, as far as I know, is the only 4 door coupe ever made (referring to the literal meaning of 'lowered roof')
To anyone else, it looks like a P5B with a 3.5 -4inch roof chop and a lot more stainless trim.

Other vehicles
1968 Rover P5B Coupe (Modified & V-Quick, but I have to sell this now ... Boo Hoo!)
'92 Mitsubishi Pajero V6 (Petrol) Super Exceed (Gone now)
'06 Harley Davidson Night Train
Oh Yes....... The '98 PF S8!

Last edited by Night Train; 8th February 2012 at 01:44 PM. Reason: typo
Old 8th February 2012, 05:29 PM

[quote=Night Train;33257]I never managed to bend/ twist a P5 halfshaft though QUOTE]

The Land8 has the 3.5 V8 shoe horned into it but standard axles 12 spline, there is 24 spline halfshafts in a sailsbury axle that the stage 1 V8 landys had but i've never come accross one and there is a lot of work getting it to fit as the diff casing is longer so cutting down propshaft is involved. It's easier to change halfshfts. Being selectable 4 wheel drive is handy too, so you can get home on the front axle.

Bright yellow bus o love.
Old 9th February 2012, 06:36 PM
Banned

I too am a rover fan having had the 800 vittess and two 620 ti's really understated cars
i had a T28 turbo fitted and front mount intercooler and the sad thing is i may have a 4.2 v8 in the audi but the 620 ti would pull to 150mph better from 120 than the audi will, not sure why that was, maybe because of the fact its turbocharged and the boost helped it get there a bit better or the waight,

Oh and also im about to tackle the Audi with a rotary polisher and some P3000 tomorrow any advice ? my car was resprayed and im not totally happy there are flat spots on the car where there is almost like thousands of dimples and its dull rather than shiny in some places almost like the clear coat was not the same thickness in some areas ? if you have some advice for that or would prefer to pm me then that would be a great help as you have done a fantastic job on all of yours
Old 9th February 2012, 06:39 PM
Banned

http://i405.photobucket.com/albums/p...s/P1030611.jpg
rather like this one of yours
Old 9th February 2012, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daviesbike View Post
Oh and also im about to tackle the Audi with a rotary polisher and some P3000 tomorrow any advice ? my car was resprayed and im not totally happy there are flat spots on the car where there is almost like thousands of dimples and its dull rather than shiny in some places almost like the clear coat was not the same thickness in some areas ? if you have some advice for that or would prefer to pm me then that would be a great help as you have done a fantastic job on all of yours

Go very carefully with the P3000. A basin of warm water and a few, just about 6 drops of Fairy Liquid or similar and soak the P3000 for 10 minutes before using. I like to rub two pieces of wet and dry together to remove the coarse initial cut as I find it too severe when starting with a fresh piece. Do not lean heavy on the paintwork, use a rubber rubbing block if you have one, rub in straight lines, keep the P3000 very wet and don't let it dry out. Go gently and keep checking, if you rub through the clear coat the only cure is to respray. Don't try and take all the dimples out or you will go through the clear coat, you want to reduce them but leave them almost invisible. Also if you remove them completely when you polish up you will see a wavy finish to the paint as there is nothing to hide the rubbing marks.

Post up some before and after pictures and let us know how you get on.

Best of luck