A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 22nd February 2015, 10:58 AM

The S8 and A8s are coded differently and the two sub options for either are whether they have tip buttons on the steering wheel or not. Both can be turned off if so desired and thus soft coding will change. The FLs have different coding. I just supplied a 2nd hand 2002 S8 autobox ECU to a customer of mine, so needed to look into it.

If you want the specifics, i can provide them from the manual, pls pm and i will post here for others benefit to.
Old 22nd February 2015, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singh View Post
You could offer me a D3 and a D2 for the same price, I'd take the D2 every single time, without fail. I'd have no problem in justifying £3k for a box rebuild on such an epic car. Your old one was perfect, sport, 4.2 etc... Buy another one of them.
As a 2nd or 3rd car, as yours is, I'd agree, but I wouldn't recommend a D2 as a daily driver for most people now.
2000 FL D2 4.2 QS - SOLD 2011

Old 22nd February 2015, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singh View Post
You could offer me a D3 and a D2 for the same price, I'd take the D2 every single time, without fail. I'd have no problem in justifying £3k for a box rebuild on such an epic car. Your old one was perfect, sport, 4.2 etc... Buy another one of them.
+1 - perfectly put.
Old 22nd February 2015, 07:10 PM

Cheers everyone (like the way it's gone off at a tangent)

I walked past my old D2 as it is at the garage that will be working on my D3.
Still tempted to see if he will do a swap, but he knows all the issues I have had with the D3 so probably will be stuck with it for a while yet.

Got a top of the range Mondeo hire car for my trip to London tomorrow and so far, not a bad car (all black estate with black leather interior and touch screen centre audio/nav system with another large LCD display in the centre console - nice kit.

Ride is harsh and plenty of NVH compared to the Audi, but not to bad
See what it's like after the round trip to London tomorrow (Oh and filled it to the brim and the car computer reckons 690 miles on £70......)

Current cars:

BMW i4 M-Sport

Peugeot 207 (the sons)

Triumph Daytona 675 (2017 reg)

===========================

Gone but not forgotten

Ford Focus ST-2 Mk3 (the wifes) (stolen Oct 2023)

1972 T2 Bay Window Camper (Slow)

Audi TT Mk1 225 - now with coil-overs and a 7inch touchscreen infotainment centre

2003 A8 Sport 4.2 (with ACC & LPG) (Feed up with all the issues so passed it on to a forum member)

2000 A8 FL QS 4.2 (with RNS-E - Nice) (Engine poorly so sold on to be brought back by someone who has the time)
Old 22nd February 2015, 07:26 PM

After me having problems with my 8, sold it swiftly and I know next owner has still problems with it.After Wanted to play safe and went for s320 cdi with really low miles, rejected it after 6 weeks - there was a smoking issue that no one could fix.
Ended up now with Insignia 2.0 diesel with 12k on the clock and at least no problems with it, I average something stupid like 50mpg. Car drives really good and I know fords are good too he he
Sensible choice only downside - a bit boring other then that good car
Will probably save me big chunk of £££ till I get something ridiculous again
Old 23rd February 2015, 06:43 PM

Cheers Borys

Saving pounds could be right though.

So - brand new Titanium X Business 2.2 TDCi Mondeo with a few hundred on the clock.
As mentioned above, the toys are pretty good, especially the touch screen sat nav/media player console.
The centre console makes the one in the D3 look fairly useless.

Went to that there London and back today, round trip of around 430 miles and averaged 49.1 MPG (80 on the motorways when I could and crawling around London) - used a smidgen under half a tank so equates to around £35

Shoulders are killing me so seats are not good for long distance.
Daughter was happy in the back of the car and wife was fairly comfortable too (legroom and seats).
Would I buy one - I think I might.

Current cars:

BMW i4 M-Sport

Peugeot 207 (the sons)

Gone but not forgotten

Audi TT Mk1 225 - now with coil-overs and a 7inch touchscreen infotainment centre

2003 A8 Sport 4.2 (with ACC & LPG) (Feed up with all the issues so passed it on to a forum member)

2000 A8 FL QS 4.2 (with RNS-E - Nice) (Engine poorly so sold on to be brought back by someone who has the time)
Old 11th March 2015, 11:37 AM

Got it back today and cost a small fortune

Thanks to Ian and A8 Parts for sorting out the bits needed (steering rack and steering pump).
Had a full 4 wheel alignment (apparently the rear wheels were well out...) so just a few more 'issues' to resolve then it will be up for sale!

Cheers

Current cars:

BMW i4 M-Sport

Peugeot 207 (the sons)

Gone but not forgotten

Old 11th March 2015, 09:37 PM

Default a8 all the way

I understand how u feel ...a8 can be expensive cars to maintain but in terms of comfort n joy there just isnt anything like it.

Last month i drove to st austell n back in the seat ibiza ....its 2.0tdi so drives well...is fuel efficient n can move if i need it to.....but last week i went to the east coast in norfolk in the s8.....cost more in fuel but oh what a difference....it just was so much more comfortable n a joy to drive....
01 Audi a8 fl sport - Grey, Bose, Glass Sunroof, S8 grill/mirror covers/wheels, Aftermarket Exhaust, very quick and lots of fun!!!!!....well I gave it one final push on the pedal to hear that v8 growl and then it was off to a new home.....
99 Audi a8 fl - Silver, Black alcantara seat/ S8 grill/side mirror, MFSW, Solar Sunroof, 17" Monoblocks (for that extra cushion of air), Rnsc, Bose.....great motorway cruiser....now gone to a new home
02 Final Edition S8 - Avus Silver, Extended Leather Pack III, Front & Rear Heated Seats, Servo, Blinds, Rear Seat Entairtainment with Playstation, Bose, Bi Xenons.....now gone to a new home
97 PF A8 4.2 quattro sport - Cashmere Grey, Servo, RNS E, Blinds, Bose, 20 Final Edition Alloys, LPG....sold sadly and will be missed
03 S4 V8 Saloon - Misano red, Manual, Milltek, Bose, Xenons, RNS E - Sold as of Feb 2012

Old 12th March 2015, 08:20 PM

Cheers .

I know. Been driving it today and might have second thoughts....

Current cars:

BMW i4 M-Sport

Peugeot 207 (the sons)

Gone but not forgotten

Old 12th March 2015, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gninnam View Post
Cheers .

I know. Been driving it today and might have second thoughts....
You know it makes sense Andy

It'd be a shame to spend all of that money putting it right then not take time to enjoy it again

Audi D3 S8 - 2007 - V10. B&O, Phantom Black, black and silver interior, and still completely standard with everything working as it should

Audi TT - 2015 - Ultra