A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D3 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Old 24th January 2016, 07:05 PM

Good investigation there.

As to your heights it possible someone has adapted the suspension and offset the figures to fool the ecu into riding lower, but to rectify you need to do the calibration from scratch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2aeQ6bhu-Y

Old 24th January 2016, 07:29 PM

Great write up thanks and good information for all - added to sticky

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs
Old 24th January 2016, 08:18 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delboy View Post
Good investigation there.

As to your heights it possible someone has adapted the suspension and offset the figures to fool the ecu into riding lower, but to rectify you need to do the calibration from scratch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2aeQ6bhu-Y
Yes , had this in mind ......I do the same on range rover sports and the discovery 3s when the height potentiometers have gone slightly off on the voltage range , just trick the ecm with a different actual reading to get the car balanced .

Thanks for the positive comments , I've been spannering on cars for 30 years now and you do really learn something new everyday , no one knows it all but as a group the knowledge all comes together , I've learnt loads since coming on here , there's some very knowledgeable folk for sure .
I work on everything all models but my favourite field is non intrusive diagnostics so I use a scope quite a lot and use 'in cylinder pressure transducers ' to diagnose say a timing chain stretched or jumped chains or cambelts , don't even take a rocker cover off to diagnose them with the correct tools , it's an interesting field , more enjoyable than fitting discs and pads .... more brain testing .

Ray. going to see if I can get to the owners meet this year , just looking at the pictures of 2015 ,food , beer , car talk , enjoy all that
Old 24th January 2016, 08:24 PM

Now this is an avenue of diagnostics I would like to learn more about, so if your willing to lead I'm willing to follow.

I have a dual channel scope already that i used in the past for simple things, also seen videos for using it to to test for sticking injectors but never had need to put into practise yet but I'm sure theres more that its capable of like you have hinted too.

Old 24th January 2016, 09:34 PM

We have a 4 channel pico , it's a superb scope Im only touching the tip of what's its cable of , there's a great scope forum it's called Auto Nerds .... it's American based so you have put up with , fender , buddy , and muffler a lot but there into it big time .

As for injector testing using an amps clamp with the scope shows you more than the volts and duration wave forms , it shows better how the amps 'push ramp 'is trying to un stick the injector pintle , I'm no expert by any means , you have to use it to learn more .

Going to bore the hell out of you all now , but here's how to tell when you have cambelts jumped or chains stretched or dowel or woodruff keys ' ridden over '

Blue trace is crank shaft sensor pick up on flywheel , normally around 60 teeth segments less the ' missing tooth ' segments that the ecm uses to reference top dead .

The red trace at the top is the square wave ( Hall effect ) from cam sensor , so you are looking for how many teeth from missing tooth segment to cam sensor switch on time .

The brown / yellow trace is the in cylinder pressure transducer , the peak is max pressure in the cylinder , it all looks a bit confusing dun it hehe !!

Cut to the chase here .....this is a crank pulley that has ridden over woodruff key , no taking engine apart , no cam covers off , all diagnosed from ecm wiring multi plugs and of course having scope traces from a good engine which I can source from auto nerds library or other sources .

You all fell asleep now zzzzzzzz hehe !!
Old 24th January 2016, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechcanico Lee View Post
We have a 4 channel pico , it's a superb scope Im only touching the tip of what's its cable of , there's a great scope forum it's called Auto Nerds .... it's American based so you have put up with , fender , buddy , and muffler a lot but there into it big time .

As for injector testing using an amps clamp with the scope shows you more than the volts and duration wave forms , it shows better how the amps 'push ramp 'is trying to un stick the injector pintle , I'm no expert by any means , you have to use it to learn more .

Going to bore the hell out of you all now , but here's how to tell when you have cambelts jumped or chains stretched or dowel or woodruff keys ' ridden over '

Blue trace is crank shaft sensor pick up on flywheel , normally around 60 teeth segments less the ' missing tooth ' segments that the ecm uses to reference top dead .

The red trace at the top is the square wave ( Hall effect ) from cam sensor , so you are looking for how many teeth from missing tooth segment to cam sensor switch on time .

The brown / yellow trace is the in cylinder pressure transducer , the peak is max pressure in the cylinder , it all looks a bit confusing dun it hehe !!

Cut to the chase here .....this is a crank pulley that has ridden over woodruff key , no taking engine apart , no cam covers off , all diagnosed from ecm wiring multi plugs and of course having scope traces from a good engine which I can source from auto nerds library or other sources .

You all fell asleep now zzzzzzzz hehe !!
Nope still awake, I'll be sure to check out the nerds

Old 25th January 2016, 08:42 AM

Lee,
This is all good stuff, Luv it.
I have an ex military twin trace scope, not the latest and greatest but still excellent for purpose.
My problems are of age, grey matter is much slower than it used to be, and memory does fail me terribly. My old system of instant recall from the mind pigeon holes fails rather spectacularly. By the time I've recalled what I need I have forgotten why I needed it
It would be nice if you manage the annual meet. Of course TinTin will be speaking up soon to organise another local gathering.

2014 A8L D4 4.0TFSI Gold (Sticker says "Beige") Can't leave you in a black smoke cloud anymore..
In progress, Nothing left to do.

Gone 2004 A8 D3 3.0 TDI. Ebony Pearl Black (with little bits of other colours and glitter)
Old 25th January 2016, 05:01 PM

Ex military scope eh ?? was that the scope you used to decipher the enigma machine it the war Ray ???
Old 25th January 2016, 05:51 PM

Nah Lee, twas a year or three before then.
I was stationed darn South near Hastings. We were trying to design the optimum arrow trajectory for maximum effect, but the bloodie frenchies beat us to it.

They got our Harold in the eye

2014 A8L D4 4.0TFSI Gold (Sticker says "Beige") Can't leave you in a black smoke cloud anymore..
In progress, Nothing left to do.

Gone 2004 A8 D3 3.0 TDI. Ebony Pearl Black (with little bits of other colours and glitter)
Old 26th January 2016, 11:06 AM

Hey Lee,

I had a similar problem in the wife's Q7 - its been a while and is still not gone back to 'normal' - (but she has driven in comfort ever since)

Do you think disconnecting the battery and reconnecting would be the best way to go ? any suggestions ?

i'll try to stay in dynamic ride today as i've got the car for a few days, to see if that makes any difference.
Thx
Bal.

Blue 2007 Audi Q7 3.0 TDi S-line
Heated Seats, Leather/Alcantera, Auto Boot, Sat Nav (NOT WORKING !), Bluetooth, 20" alloys.