A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Motoring > Motormouth

Motormouth Everything, and anything else motoring related that just doesnt belong anywhere else

Old 6th June 2019, 06:47 AM

Default Well well well. EML & MOT failure rules

I’ve learned something. Something big...

But first, a massive thank you to Delboy for clearing my codes and resetting my EML! Top bloke and you have a seriously gorgeous D3 S8 buddy! I wasn’t jealous at all...

As I previously explained - the lambda sensors were throwing a hissy-fit due to that crazy cat Goran and the crazy cats he had fitted (note: I’m being sarcastic with a hint of humour thrown in). World class HJS 100 cell cats mated to a full custom Hayward & Scott exhaust. It sounds absolutely epic and makes the old girl sound like a full-on NASCAR but caused the EML to illuminate (oh dear, I went all Wesley Snipes in Demolition Man there). “Illuminate...”

Knew about the recent changes to MOT rules regarding the EML so I just prayed it would stay off just long enough to get the old girl through. Journey back home from Delboy’s was fine. Next morning...arghhhhhhhhhh...damn light comes on just before I get to Halfrauds Autocentre

Here’s the interesting (and ironic) part: firstly, yes, the car *did* fail. But not on the EML! It was a split (or loose) CV rubber boot. That’s all. It turns out that it’s only a failure for petrol cars registered from 01 July 2003 onwards and diesel cars 01 July 2008 onwards only! My car is 2001 so the EML is just advisory. And, the emissions were *absolutely spot on*

Phew...and the MOT only cost a tenner

Last edited by Green Goblin; 6th June 2019 at 07:01 AM.
Old 6th June 2019, 07:10 AM

Deluminate

I did not know that about the EML. I always reset mine as I drive in to the test centre as it comes on with every other startup :P

Have you tried O2 sensor spacers? They supposedly help with this sort of thing although I've not tried them myself.
Old 6th June 2019, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
...have you tried O2 sensor spacers? They supposedly help with this sort of thing although I've not tried them myself.
Gonna try this approach next. I keep reading about using spacers for the sensors. A reputable exhaust place should be able to do this.
Old 6th June 2019, 07:52 AM

Any garage should be able to do it really. Its just a case of unscrewing the sensors and putting the spacer between them and the exhaust. Right-angle spacers would be prudent as there's not a lot of room between the top of the sensors and the tunnel / propshaft.
Old 6th June 2019, 03:38 PM

Sorry about all the trouble those crazy cats caused
Glad you passed despite the engine light.
By the way you already have top quality spacers on those rear labmbdas.
So I guess the next step is either get a VCDS cable so you can re-set the light yourself, or pay MRC Tuning to code out the error code. They don't remove the rear lambdas for some reason, I guess it would require a more major re-code because they are looked for during the start-up routine. Maybe they can do that but that may cost more money, then you can ditch those lambdas completely.

You have these ones, Wayne Angle blocks

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-...s-yay-2376477/

You could try spark plug anti-foulers on top of the Wayne blocks to move the lambdas out further?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wayne Block.jpg
Views:	1263
Size:	4.2 KB
ID:	21684  

Last edited by Goran; 6th June 2019 at 03:50 PM.
Old 6th June 2019, 04:29 PM

pair of these might helps

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/90-Sensor...item4b612a1860
Old 10th June 2019, 08:35 AM

Turns out the CV boot was split. £89 (all in) later, the old girl has a new CV boot fitted and a fresh ticket for another year. The EML itself doesn't bother me because i know the emissions are spot on. And a tenner for the MOT means less than £100 all in - not bad for a car approaching 20yo!

One point I feel I should mention - the Halfords special offer of a £10 MOT was a great offer - but just be careful: If the car fails the MOT and you get the repairs done elsewhere, they will charge you a retest fee of £14.99, even if it's within the 10-day retest period.

Halfords quoted me £130 (all in) to fix the CV boot and retest, however I was able to get the repair done slightly cheaper elsewhere for £89. When I called to book it back in, it was only then that they told me about the £14.99 retest fee - when I pointed out that they never told me that information at any time, the chap did it for free (probably because it was so quick to just check that CV boot - and because he was a really nice bloke as it happens).

So the moral of the story is to factor in that extra £14.99 when getting the repairs done elsewhere (even factoring that in, I would've still saved myself about 15 quid but you get the point). I'll check the confirmation emails for the booking, see if it's in the small print anywhere...
Old 10th June 2019, 03:54 PM
UberSeniorChiefLibrarian

How have you found the H&S exhaust? Loud enough, loud, very loud, too loud? Any resonance?

Watch it if you dare

Currently,
2000 S8, Merlin Purple, Leather Pack 1, Winter Pack 1, SPAX adjustable suspension, AP Racing 6 pot front caliper, 385mm fully floating disks, EBC Yellow Stuff Pads, Black Diamond grooved rear disks and predetor pads, D2 Doctors Brake Block.
1997 4.2 A8SQ - the Projekt. 12 years and ongoing!
1997 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. Restoration sat waiting; saved from the Scrapyard
2003 C5 Allroad 4.2Q - Cobolt Blue. Towing car. Laid up awaiting manual conversion.
2005 C5 Allroad 2.5TDi FE - Grey - Workhorse.
2015 Q3QS SLine - Daytona Grey. Lots of extras! Long Haired Admirals cutter.

Previously
2003 C5 A6 1.9TDI FWD - Loaner from D2 Doctor Lifex
1997 S8 - Ming Blue. Loaned out and written off. I loved that car. My first engine swap after cambelt failure.
1996 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. 178k on a cambelt! Trader's 8. Delivered to A8Parts at Lifex.
2003 2.8 A8SQ - powder blueish. Fill in for a while. Sold on.
1998 1.8T A4 Avant FWD. Ming Blue (there's a theme here), PEX for the 97 S8.
And a list of non VAG going back 40 years before I saw the light.
Old 10th June 2019, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conan_the_Librarian View Post
How have you found the H&S exhaust? Loud enough, loud, very loud, too loud? Any resonance?
I’d say loud enough. Wouldn’t want it any louder. A very slight raspy nature when cooler (as in cold start - not cooler temperature outside) but if driving harder and generating more heat, it gets deeper and the slight raspiness gets less obvious. It really does make a lovely sound. Not sure if resonated or not - Goran I’m sure will be along to confirm that, lol.

Only thing I want more of would be induction noise. Only way forward with that is only really possible with Amar’s drilled air box mod. But there’s an argument against the possibility of sucking in warm/hot air. There aren’t any induction kits I’m aware of and only aftermarket air filters which can only liberate a small amount of additional induction noise.

Has anyone done anything in this area yet? Anyone either done the air box mod or fitted higher flow filters? And is there a way to feed cold(er) air to a drilled air box? I’d be interested to hear opinions. Seems people have either done the air box mod or the exhaust, but never both together. I reckon it would sound pretty berserk!!

Last edited by Green Goblin; 10th June 2019 at 06:58 PM.
Old 13th June 2019, 08:19 PM

Nice one on an the fresh MOT, just got the reminder through for mine, worried now coz i'll be away when it needs done and I'm great at distracting the tester

Got to get the windscreen repaired or replaced cox got a massive stone strike the other day leaving a thing that looks like it was shot.