A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Engine Bay

D2 - Engine Bay Everything under the bonnet

Old 30th January 2020, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stromaluski View Post
The stock D2 connector is a pin connector, whereas the D3 connector is a blade type connector.
Actually both are blades, see attached photo of a D2 fan connector.
However the male/female setup seems to be reversed, the D2 fan is male whereas the D3 is female, so you couldn't disassemble and reinsert the wires into a different shell even if they were compatible.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D2blowerPlug.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	6.6 KB
ID:	22819  
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 2nd February 2020, 02:46 AM

As it's spade connectors, makes for a pretty easy wiring job.

Either cut and shut a pigtail cut from your old fan, or from a wreckers yard (anything Audi (or VW?) from that era has the same style connectors)
or
Cut the plug off one end (fan is most appropriate) and put some standard crimp type spade connectors on the ends and plug in manually (I use brass spade connectors with a proper crimping tool, but the common red or blue crush type will work ok)
or
Make a short double-ended female piggy-back lead and leave both plugs intact.

Marty

Replacement head coming arrived thanks to MJ
Silver with Black interior. All features as the '01, with the 'S' mode auto shifter. Dodgey rear tint (need to find a way to get rid of that).
Family:
2009 Volvo XC90 V8 R Design
- has a louder more obnoxious exhaust than the S8, sounds great! Love this thing - Q7 was double the price, and certainly not double the car!

Sold:
1997 Audi A4
- Hamilton's Club Sport, Achat Grey (will miss the old girl)

Last edited by 27litres; 2nd February 2020 at 12:15 PM.
Old 2nd February 2020, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 27litres View Post
Make a short double-ended female piggy-back lead and leave both plugs intact.
You actually need a pair of male-male leads to connect a D3 fan to a D2 harness, with a simple blade on each end.
Doing it that way also enables you to easily test the replacement and quickly resolve incorrect polarity.
(I believe the D2 uses 6.3mm blades and the D3 4.8mm, but 6.3mm fit into both the D2 and D3 connectors.)
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!

Last edited by HPsauce; 2nd February 2020 at 11:08 AM.
Old 2nd February 2020, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaggle57 View Post
The motor arrived and I’ve managed to get it fitted
Well done.

I was looking at the Audipages guide (http://www.audipages.com/Tech_Articl...anreplace.html ) and they didn't remove the scuttle panel which looks like it gets in the way somewhat.
I was thinking I would as it's fairly quick and easy to remove. Did you take the wipers and scuttle panel off or isn't it necessary?
Old 3rd February 2020, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
Actually both are blades, see attached photo of a D2 fan connector.
However the male/female setup seems to be reversed, the D2 fan is male whereas the D3 is female, so you couldn't disassemble and reinsert the wires into a different shell even if they were compatible.
D'oh! I remembered that there was a reason I couldn't just re-pin the connector, but I was thinking it was a pin vs blade connector issue. Not a male vs female connector issue. Either way, you have to splice, no matter what.
1992 Corrado
2001 S8
2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition
Old 3rd February 2020, 05:02 PM

Quote:
I was looking at the Audipages guide (http://www.audipages.com/Tech_Articl...anreplace.html ) and they didn't remove the scuttle panel which looks like it gets in the way somewhat.
I was thinking I would as it's fairly quick and easy to remove. Did you take the wipers and scuttle panel off or isn't it necessary?
It could *probably* be done without removing them, but I found it way easier to just remove them and get them out of the way. They're pretty easy to remove.
1992 Corrado
2001 S8
2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition
Old 7th February 2020, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stromaluski View Post
Either way, you have to splice, no matter what.
Or use something like these that I put together just now?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FanD3inD2.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	181.5 KB
ID:	22850  
Old 7th February 2020, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Well done.

No I didn’t remove either of these, take the grill off and it comes out easily. The d3 motor was the same polarity as the original, my original commutator was destroyed so I just wired it up colour true & hoped for the best, blows better than it ever has. no idea how long it will last but no doubt longer than my gearbox!