A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Engine Bay

D2 - Engine Bay Everything under the bonnet

Old 3rd March 2020, 12:17 PM

Default Is this really no longer available?

Can't seem to find it in stock anywhere....except as a VERY expensive set in 077198405.

Is that the going rate?

After seeing the price on the fuel pump gasket set ($200 USD+), I can only imagine that gasket makers are doing quite nicely out of old Audi owners.
Old 3rd March 2020, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C4R 100N View Post

Can't seem to find it in stock anywhere....except as a VERY expensive set in 077198405.

Is that the going rate?

After seeing the price on the fuel pump gasket set ($200 USD+), I can only imagine that gasket makers are doing quite nicely out of old Audi owners.
Is it a UK mobile phone number?

Bright yellow bus o love.
Old 3rd March 2020, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post
Is it a UK mobile phone number?
LOL!
https://www.europaparts.com/oil-filt...077115441.html

Does that help?

I have asked a couple of suppliers and they say that it is NLA.

Sorry for the sparse information - I am tired. I guess I should probably wait until the morning (here) to post! Thanks for reading!

Last edited by C4R 100N; 3rd March 2020 at 01:10 PM.
Old 3rd March 2020, 01:25 PM

I saw these available on eBay several weeks ago as a set of o-rings. Can't find them yet, but did come across the full genuine repair kit, including gasket. Check the following link:

http://ebay.co.uk/itm/174024961024

EDIT: I found the link to the kit, which is http://ebay.co.uk/itm/264182775813

However, although it says it is for an A6, I came across the kit following the instructions on another page dealing with the oil cooler on an A8. That page can be found here: http://www.audipages.com/Tech_Articl...reinstall.html. Search for the text 'Internal Seal Kit' and you'll see the kit. MJ might want to comment on it's suitability.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds

Last edited by steamship; 3rd March 2020 at 01:40 PM. Reason: Additional Links
Old 3rd March 2020, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamship View Post
I saw these available on eBay several weeks ago as a set of o-rings. Can't find them yet, but did come across the full genuine repair kit, including gasket. Check the following link:

http://ebay.co.uk/itm/174024961024

EDIT: I found the link to the kit, which is http://ebay.co.uk/itm/264182775813

However, although it says it is for an A6, I came across the kit following the instructions on another page dealing with the oil cooler on an A8. That page can be found here: http://www.audipages.com/Tech_Articl...reinstall.html. Search for the text 'Internal Seal Kit' and you'll see the kit. MJ might want to comment on it's suitability.

Thanks Steamship! That does seem a lot better value than the kits that I could find although it still seems horrendously expensive. I guess that I will get used to the "sticker shock" after a while. It makes an oil change an expensive proposition, so I will see how I go just changing out the filter cartridge to begin with. It is just as well that I have fallen in love with my S8!

Last edited by C4R 100N; 3rd March 2020 at 01:55 PM.
Old 5th March 2020, 08:31 AM

That kit looks like the one you use for the oil cooler housing, not the oil filter housing.
The oil cooler leak is one of those Audi V8 failure points you need to watch for, but it's not relevant to an oil filter change.

To do an oil filter change, you only need to buy the appropriate filter cartridge which comes complete with the large o-ring, and sometimes the small one, included for about $25-30.
Ryco even make one (click here), and you can often buy it over the counter in Supercheap, Repco or Bursons.
See here

The little o-ring is only needed if you remove the small drain plug on the bottom of the housing.
Once you've emptied the sump, you can pretty much get away without draining it. I never do! Just undo the main housing and empty what's left when you pull the cartridge out.
You will need a 36mm socket (or special filter tool, which is lighter and easier than a large socket - I might have a spare lying around actually...)

If 32V 4.2's have the sump plug on the bottom of the sump like the 40V's do, you'll need a crush washer too.

Marty

Replacement head coming arrived thanks to MJ
Silver with Black interior. All features as the '01, with the 'S' mode auto shifter. Dodgey rear tint (need to find a way to get rid of that).
Family:
2009 Volvo XC90 V8 R Design
- has a louder more obnoxious exhaust than the S8, sounds great! Love this thing - Q7 was double the price, and certainly not double the car!

Sold:
1997 Audi A4
- Hamilton's Club Sport, Achat Grey (will miss the old girl)

Last edited by 27litres; 5th March 2020 at 08:34 AM.
Old 5th March 2020, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 27litres View Post
That kit looks like the one you use for the oil cooler housing, not the oil filter housing.
The oil cooler leak is one of those Audi V8 failure points you need to watch for, but it's not relevant to an oil filter change.
This The gasket is not available on its own any more - only in a full kit for the oil cooler itself, which no one ever changes so most of the kit goes in the bin

I've found a chap in Poland who is reproducing these gaskets for considerably less than Audi charge so I have a couple to test.

On the 32V the oil filter cap is held on with a long M8 bolt so no need to buy a 36mm socket
Old 5th March 2020, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
On the 32V the oil filter cap is held on with a long M8 bolt so no need to buy a 36mm socket
So you need the small o-ring for that bolt then?

What about the sump plug? Is it the large one on the bottom of the pan same as the 40V?

Marty

Silver with Black interior. All features as the '01, with the 'S' mode auto shifter. Dodgey rear tint (need to find a way to get rid of that).
Family:
- has a louder more obnoxious exhaust than the S8, sounds great! Love this thing - Q7 was double the price, and certainly not double the car!

Sold:
1997 Audi A4
Old 5th March 2020, 10:36 AM

Its a crush washer on the long bolt - no size specified but probably 8x14. The sump plug and the filter housing drain plug both use the same 24x32 crush washer as the 40V
Old 6th March 2020, 06:44 AM

Ok Paul, you'll need the sump plug crush washers (use once item)
N 0138503.
24x32 hollow crush washer
Local VW dealer or Euro parts supplier should have in stock.
Otherwise order multiple from FCP or the likes with other parts...

Marty

Family:

Sold:
1997 Audi A4

Last edited by 27litres; 6th March 2020 at 06:50 AM.