Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 20th February 2021, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
General Vod back in the haus!
All's well in the world again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
The driving experience is more akin to a yacht than I'm used to, having to set the craft up to change direction a fair way before the corner, waiting for it to respond to the helm, and then hoping you don't capsize halfway round.
Maybe he should be called Admiral Vod until his suspension is sorted.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 20th February 2021, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamship View Post
Maybe he should be called Admiral Vod until his suspension is sorted.
Perfect!
Old 20th February 2021, 09:06 PM

Good to see you're working on something that's better for your state of mind
I think Admiral is a bit high ranking. Commodore is more appropriate and also suggests an affinity with the Holden Commodore familiar to some of our Aussie friends which definitely corners like a boat
Old 20th February 2021, 09:18 PM

I'd suggest consulting our Librarian for appropriate naval appellations

MJ Your threads are a the best antidote to lockdown tedium
Old 21st February 2021, 08:34 AM
UberSeniorChiefLibrarian

The suggestion that VOD is more akin to a naval setting has merit. Given its place of birth I would suggest the German Naval rank of Kommodore.

Kommodore VOD von Großluxobarge a nice ring to it.

Watch it if you dare

Currently,
2000 S8, Merlin Purple, Leather Pack 1, Winter Pack 1, SPAX adjustable suspension, AP Racing 6 pot front caliper, 385mm fully floating disks, EBC Yellow Stuff Pads, Black Diamond grooved rear disks and predetor pads, D2 Doctors Brake Block.
1997 4.2 A8SQ - the Projekt. 12 years and ongoing!
1997 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. Restoration sat waiting; saved from the Scrapyard
2003 C5 Allroad 4.2Q - Cobolt Blue. Towing car. Laid up awaiting manual conversion.
2005 C5 Allroad 2.5TDi FE - Grey - Workhorse.
2015 Q3QS SLine - Daytona Grey. Lots of extras! Long Haired Admirals cutter.

Previously
2003 C5 A6 1.9TDI FWD - Loaner from D2 Doctor Lifex
1997 S8 - Ming Blue. Loaned out and written off. I loved that car. My first engine swap after cambelt failure.
1996 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. 178k on a cambelt! Trader's 8. Delivered to A8Parts at Lifex.
2003 2.8 A8SQ - powder blueish. Fill in for a while. Sold on.
1998 1.8T A4 Avant FWD. Ming Blue (there's a theme here), PEX for the 97 S8.
And a list of non VAG going back 40 years before I saw the light.
Old 21st February 2021, 12:45 PM

I vaguely recall that The General was a runabout for you but maybe going to be sold. Is it still part of your extensive stable or did you manage to get it out of the door before the latest lockdown?
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 21st February 2021, 01:12 PM

Bert bought him back in early 2020, right before lockdown started
Old 21st February 2021, 04:22 PM

This thread has been my inspiration for getting the water out of my Dolph over the past few weeks.

Looking at General VOD with The D2 sport alloys fitted reminds me how good they can look. From an aesthetics perspective they are perfect for the car. Same as the D2 S8 Avus wheels. The design is timeless. I really would love a set of either wheel design in a 9x19 or 9.5x19.

1988 E30 Coupe - Royalblau Metallic

2003 S4 Avant - Light Silver Mettalic

2016 S5 Coupe Black Edition - Ibis White

Old 21st February 2021, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICKY D View Post
Same as the D2 S8 Avus wheels. The design is timeless. I really would love a set of either wheel design in a 9x19 or 9.5x19.
If everyone could chip in a few bob for a CNC I'm sure we can make our own

The backbox is being replaced with a Supersport (same as on my S8) to release some of the lovely V8 burble without being too obnoxious as a daily.

Cut the original system under the subframe so it can be fitted with sleeve-clamps

The backbox is fine so that'll go on the shelf in case it needs to go back on in the future

The supersport box doesn't clear the towbar, but luckily I solved this on my S8 so I already knew what to do - cut a gert hole in it

Made a filler plate of stainless sheet

As most of the left hand bracket went away, I reinforced it with a bit of stainless bar

Filler piece tacked in. This will get tigged in place by Craig from Ally Cat in Crediton (who welded Ricky's Green Beast)

The rear calipers are working perfectly, but are not looking very happy. This odd shape on the piston boot is indicative of corrosion in the groove where the boot sits, pushing it out of the caliper housing.

Cleaned up. Its only a matter of time before this pops out and then the caliper seizes up, so both will replaced with new TRW units.

It wasn't any better with the piston pushed back. Removing the piston, cleaning the groove and replacing the seals would solve this, but given Vod needs to be home in a week and replacements cost less than the time and parts to repair the old ones, its not worth it.

While the rear end is in bits and we're looking for handling improvements, I might as well replace all the control arm bushes as they were completely toast

These haven't seen the light of day for a long time! I think he was probably only on his second set of rear discs.

Cleaned up nicely with the wire wheel

Empty wheel well! Once the mud has dried out a bit I will clean this up a bit before reassembling everything

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	69.jpg
Views:	387
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	25622   Click image for larger version

Name:	70.jpg
Views:	404
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	25623   Click image for larger version

Name:	71.jpg
Views:	402
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	25624   Click image for larger version

Name:	72.jpg
Views:	410
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	25625   Click image for larger version

Name:	73.jpg
Views:	398
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	25626   Click image for larger version

Name:	74.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	25627   Click image for larger version

Name:	75.jpg
Views:	400
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	25628   Click image for larger version

Name:	76.jpg
Views:	401
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	25629   Click image for larger version

Name:	77.jpg
Views:	404
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	25630   Click image for larger version

Name:	78.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	25631  

Click image for larger version

Name:	79.jpg
Views:	388
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	25632   Click image for larger version

Name:	80.jpg
Views:	393
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	25633   Click image for larger version

Name:	81.jpg
Views:	392
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	25634   Click image for larger version

Name:	82.jpg
Views:	401
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	25635  
Old 21st February 2021, 10:24 PM
Banned

would you mind sharing a link for the alternator bearings? I already have a new regulator waiting so new bearings would be awesome!