A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 25th February 2021, 08:14 PM

Location: Redmile: Leics, Notts, Lincs border - near Belvoir Castle

Tell us about the choice of MTec C-hook discs please. My rear discs will need replacing soon and I’ve not come across these before. And what’s the caliper on the front?
Current mods: solar sun roof, 20mm rear spacers, 15 mm on front, red brembo callipers, 6k headlights, rear view camera, engine remap, alloy dash dial rings, alloy navi rings, tt/phaeton pedal upgrade, (and custom matching foot rest) dension ipod interface & parrot hands free kit (both fully hidden), av input, tv in motion switched thro' PF switch in blanking plug right of steering column, Audi 'quattro' sill covers, repositioned centre console switches, radio clock, .
Planned mods: auto-dimming rear view mirror, dash cam (as steamship's), fit the ski hatch, refit philips drl's (or maybe not - nope, definitely not - horrible botch!).
Old 25th February 2021, 08:27 PM

They look good... Also the c-hook grooves perform the same function as the usual linear grooves (dissipating gas and friction material build-up under the pad surface) but without the noise, as they are a less regular pattern.

The rears are 280mm D2 S8 (from 269mm originally). The fronts are 360mm D3 2-piston sliding calipers (from 323mm).

The D3 front calipers are a straight swap for the D2 A8 HP2 caliper and are a much better design in every way. One of the few uses for the D3
Old 25th February 2021, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
They look good... Also the c-hook grooves perform the same function as the usual linear grooves (dissipating gas and friction material build-up under the pad surface) but without the noise, as they are a less regular pattern.

The rears are 280mm D2 S8 (from 269mm originally). The fronts are 360mm D3 2-piston sliding calipers (from 323mm).

The D3 front calipers are a straight swap for the D2 A8 HP2 caliper and are a much better design in every way. One of the few uses for the D3
Looking good is a perfectly good reason for fitting them!
My MoT today was all fine but for an advisory on slight pitting/grooving of the rear discs so that looks like a reason to investigate these
Old 25th February 2021, 09:20 PM

Location: Redmile: Leics, Notts, Lincs border - near Belvoir Castle

And the Mintec pads? Are they fitted for aesthetic or performance reasons?
Current mods: solar sun roof, 20mm rear spacers, 15 mm on front, red brembo callipers, 6k headlights, rear view camera, engine remap, alloy dash dial rings, alloy navi rings, tt/phaeton pedal upgrade, (and custom matching foot rest) dension ipod interface & parrot hands free kit (both fully hidden), av input, tv in motion switched thro' PF switch in blanking plug right of steering column, Audi 'quattro' sill covers, repositioned centre console switches, radio clock, .
Planned mods: auto-dimming rear view mirror, dash cam (as steamship's), fit the ski hatch, refit philips drl's (or maybe not - nope, definitely not - horrible botch!).
Old 25th February 2021, 09:59 PM

They're just a good quality standard pad, and happened to be what Mtec sell so we could get discs and pads from one place.
Old 26th February 2021, 12:17 PM

Mtec also do EBC pads. I stuck a set of their grooved and dimpled on the Jag the other week to try and keep the issues with repeat vibrations coming back. They do make a bit of noise when braking from speed, but you don't really hear it in the cabin.

I know.. I know..

Old 26th February 2021, 03:26 PM

Ive got the MTEC C Scroll front pads on my D4 A8L and they look great ut also work great, and from memory they were only something like £220
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4oOGYVm0QJScjYQui0UnYA.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	184.9 KB
ID:	25687  

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs
Old 26th February 2021, 07:58 PM

The front brakes are now complete, also with Mintex pads and braided hoses. These calipers are a joy to work with compared to the HP2s

This is the only bit which isn't plug and play - the pad wear sensor. I have new connectors and terminals for this which I will crimp on to the D2 wiring for an OEM-quality job.

The missing rear caliper has finally arrived with the supplier, from Germany. They graciously arranged Saturday delivery with DPD at half price so fingers crossed it gets here tomorrow
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	96.jpg
Views:	767
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	25704   Click image for larger version

Name:	97.jpg
Views:	439
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	25705  
Old 27th February 2021, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
No progress on Vod yesterday because we can't get the Bilstein suspension kit. There are none in the UK, and Bilstein head office doesn't appear to be interested in getting any here (like many German companies I used to deal with, the UK has ceased to exist, #toohard).
I took a look at FCPEuro and ECS tuning after reading the problems with this.
FCP have it on pandemic back order with no estimated date, but ECS are showing an estimated availability date of March 31st...
Price with shipping £825:
https://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-D2_A8...Kits/Checkout/

Similar price from FCP, but no freight quote, as I can't add it to the cart:
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/aud...ttro-46-193834

Marty

Replacement head coming arrived thanks to MJ
Silver with Black interior. All features as the '01, with the 'S' mode auto shifter. Dodgey rear tint (need to find a way to get rid of that).
Family:
2009 Volvo XC90 V8 R Design
- has a louder more obnoxious exhaust than the S8, sounds great! Love this thing - Q7 was double the price, and certainly not double the car!

Sold:
1997 Audi A4
- Hamilton's Club Sport, Achat Grey (will miss the old girl)
Old 27th February 2021, 07:44 PM

Spent this morning on the exhaust - the modifications to it have been tig welded

This is the 2x90mm version (same as Vera's) which needs the bumper cutting, whereas my S8 has the 2x70 which doesn't need any modifications

There's about 4 hours work to get to this point The hangers were miles off so needed considerable modification in order to get it to sit straight

Looks good though, and sounds lovely

The missing rear caliper arrived at 14:30 and by 15:30 the brakes were finished off and bled, so on to the front pad wear sensor connectors. Start by cutting off the old connector

New boot on as the new connector is much smaller

Terminals crimped on

Assembled

Since we're aiming to improve the handling, the D2 tie rod ends (top) with rubber insers were replaced with RS4 solid versions. This job is usually a day's work on most D2s, spent dealing with seized bolts and then having to replace the inner tie rod as the inner and outers are stuck together. Ten minutes a side on General Vod

The dehumidifier has taken 2.5 litres out of the interior this week so I think the drains might be clogged, so thats the next job tomorrow morning, then road test
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	98.jpg
Views:	397
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	25716   Click image for larger version

Name:	99.jpg
Views:	419
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	25717   Click image for larger version

Name:	100.jpg
Views:	394