A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Everything Else

D3 - Everything Else Anything that doesnt fit elsewhere

Old 2nd March 2021, 02:17 PM

how is it small jobs just seem to escalate.....
Today i wanted to get the tyres changed over.... now most normal folk would have rocked up TyreFitters-R-Us and just had them swapped over with nare a care in the world as to the condition of the surface the weights were going to be stuck too.....
So with my OCD in full force and sadly no Fallout remover i went old school....
This is the before.... normal crud from this time of year plus embedded brake dust to contend with....

The fronts being far more contaminated than the rears.....

the process involved lots of hot soapy water, a hair dryer to remove the old weights and adhesive and then to clay bar and hit with G3 to remove all the crud etc

it took bloody ages... about 6 hours in total.....

Then it was a case of load up the other half's A3 Sportback, it was a damn squeeze fitting 4 19" wheels and tyres and then the replacement tyres..... There were a couple of John Cleese Branch moments as it took careful placement so i could shut the doors....
A quick trip over to my local Kwik-Fit

and all finally done....

because i can't help myself the brake calipers have been stripped down for repainting.... it's a damn disease i tell you..... and hopefully tomorrow the new spring retaining clips arrive for the brake lines as i had to destroy 4 getting the old flexi's off.

Current stable.....
‘07 A8 D3 4.2tdi
‘08 S5
‘09 A4 Avant 2.0tdi
‘04 TT 225

Last edited by 89forever; 14th August 2021 at 10:08 AM.
Old 2nd March 2021, 06:14 PM

I like your new tyres
With Bang & Olufsen Advanced Sound System, Advanced Parking System, TV Analog/ Digital, Rear/Back Window blinds, Front and rear heated seats, Alcantara Roof, Extended leather Pack 2, Extended Aluminium pack, Carbon and Aluminium trim packs, RSE, PS2.
Daily driver
Audi A8 d4 2014 phantom black 3.0 tdi

Previously owned
Audi 80 1986 1.8 white
Audi 80 1990 2.0 red
Audi A4 1996 1.9 tdi green
Audi A6 1.9 tdi 2000 blue
Audi tt 225 2000 silver
Audi s8 d2 2002 fe grey
Audi a8 4.0 tdi d3 2006 black
Audi a8 3.0 tdi d3 2010 black
Old 2nd March 2021, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S81 View Post
I like your new tyres
Whether car or bike I always have Pirelli.... I got a good deal on the correct spec AO Audi rated PZero’s so it was rude not to get them. The A8 came with Vredestein’s winter tyres which were outside of my 5 years old rule so they had to go, they were actually pretty decent in the recent bad snow and grip surprisingly well in the wet.... but we’re too old for me

Current stable.....
‘07 A8 D3 4.2tdi
‘08 S5
‘09 A4 Avant 2.0tdi
‘04 TT 225
Old 2nd March 2021, 07:00 PM

Did your local Kwikfit agree to fit customer supplied tyres? I know a lot of places won't do it anymore or charge silly money for it
2008 (facelift) S8 with B&O, ACC, glass sunroof, reversing camera, front and rear heated seats, ceramic brakes, homelink, electric side and rear blinds, ski load through, heated fan washer jets, remote boot closing, de-flapped manifold, fridge, umbrella holder
Old 2nd March 2021, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer simpson View Post
Did your local Kwikfit agree to fit customer supplied tyres? I know a lot of places won't do it anymore or charge silly money for it
It didn’t come up when I enquired if they could assist ... I told them the tyres were brand new and I took the wheels in loose.
I suppose in the current climate, less people driving, less worn out tyres so less cars having them replaced means any business is business and cash coming in???

Current stable.....
‘07 A8 D3 4.2tdi
‘08 S5
‘09 A4 Avant 2.0tdi
‘04 TT 225
Old 2nd March 2021, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89forever View Post
Whether car or bike I always have Pirelli....
How would you compare the current PZero to the old PZero Rosso? I haven't bought Pirellis since the Rosso.
Old 2nd March 2021, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
How would you compare the current PZero to the old PZero Rosso? I haven't bought Pirellis since the Rosso.
Not driven on these yet, but hitting the time machine I had Rossi’s on my RS6 back in the day and then PZero Nero GT’s on my S5..... I’d say they were comparable.... good grip but wear quickly, especially if you don’t rotate ... but tyres are subjective as everyone drives different..... I like how they feel on my stuff

Current stable.....
‘07 A8 D3 4.2tdi
‘08 S5
‘09 A4 Avant 2.0tdi
‘04 TT 225
Old 2nd March 2021, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89forever View Post
Whether car or bike I always have Pirelli....
Funny how we get loyal, I've been around all sorts of tyre brands but I'm very much a "Michelin Man" at present!
(And that's after losing about 5 stone a few years ago )
Though, to be fair, the S8 is still on its winter SottoZeros, they've lasted many years.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 2nd March 2021, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
Funny how we get loyal, I've been around all sorts of tyre brands but I'm very much a "Michelin Man" at present!
(And that's after losing about 5 stone a few years ago )
Though, to be fair, the S8 is still on its winter SottoZeros, they've lasted many years.
Absolutely.... we all like what we like but I respect someone else’s choice they’ve made, even if it’s the polar opposite of my “like”....
I do find it funny when reading that someone has replaced X with Y and that Y is far far far superior.... I just think to myself well yes, obviously as X was at the end of its life and was worn out haha
But then they go and bash someone who’s chosen X as they didn’t have the same opinion as them, the internet is a weird place at times

Current stable.....
‘07 A8 D3 4.2tdi
‘08 S5
‘09 A4 Avant 2.0tdi
‘04 TT 225
Old 4th March 2021, 01:19 PM

it's not a restoration....

i keep muttering those same words over and over till it sinks in, but i can't help it....

blasted and zinc primered, again with Bilt Hamber's zinc primer....
The calipers are to the same state but rain stopped all play today....

small steps forward and all that...!!!

Current stable.....
‘07 A8 D3 4.2tdi
‘08 S5
‘09 A4 Avant 2.0tdi
‘04 TT 225

Last edited by 89forever; 14th August 2021 at 10:09 AM.