A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Wheels and Tyres

D3 - Wheels and Tyres Refurbing, center caps, tyre brands, tyrefitters - discuss it here

Old 9th October 2020, 07:19 PM

Default Another TPMS thread

Had a good read through the other threads but most of them seem unfinished or inconclusive.

Yesterday, my pressure warning light came on so I checked the TPMS display and the values were all in orange instead of green. The figures seemed a bit on the low side (maybe 1 PSI) but overall OK. I decided to top them up to make sure, they were fine. Back in the car, the DIS warning is still on so I re-initialised the tyres. Since then, the DIS warning has gone but the figures no longer display, just a dash on the screen even though it is green. The spare has always shown this since I bought the car and never checked if it actually has a sensor in it or not although the spare seems to be new.

So, VCDS out and all sensors are showing 0 months and no voltage. I can't see how they would all have died at the same time. There is no error in VCDS and it connects to the control unit fine. I will check the fuse tomorrow too, I am in the process of locating it. Is it time for new sensors? I've been looking for alternatives as ETKA shows them as £106 each.
2008 (facelift) S8 with B&O, ACC, glass sunroof, reversing camera, front and rear heated seats, ceramic brakes, homelink, electric side and rear blinds, ski load through, heated fan washer jets, remote boot closing, de-flapped manifold, fridge, umbrella holder
Old 10th October 2020, 11:25 AM

You don't mention whether or not you went for a drive after you re-initialised the tyres. If not, then that would be the case as it requires driving for 5-10 minutes before they show the pressure.

As for replacements, someone on one of the Facebook groups was asking a similar question and I provided the following link (not affiliated to it). It's for a set of four TPMS sensors plus the all important programming pad (which is never mentioned in the other TPMS ads), as without it the sensors are useless. You just need to make sure and program them the same as your existing ones, including the correct frequency.

On the build sticker, you should have either 7K3 (433MHz) or 7K4 (315MHz).

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/133417324862

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 10th October 2020, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamship View Post
You don't mention whether or not you went for a drive after you re-initialised the tyres. If not, then that would be the case as it requires driving for 5-10 minutes before they show the pressure.

As for replacements, someone on one of the Facebook groups was asking a similar question and I provided the following link (not affiliated to it). It's for a set of four TPMS sensors plus the all important programming pad (which is never mentioned in the other TPMS ads), as without it the sensors are useless. You just need to make sure and program them the same as your existing ones, including the correct frequency.

On the build sticker, you should have either 7K3 (433MHz) or 7K4 (315MHz).

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/133417324862
Thanks steamship. I did go for a small drive twice but no luck. I do have 7K3 433MHz. Looking at your link, it the programming pad simply to set the frequency? I looked at lots of different sensors last night and they state that no programming is necessary and they just need initialising. I do have VCDS if it's required.

I looked at these. The original part number is 4D0907275E

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-ORIGINA...53.m1438.l2649
2008 (facelift) S8 with B&O, ACC, glass sunroof, reversing camera, front and rear heated seats, ceramic brakes, homelink, electric side and rear blinds, ski load through, heated fan washer jets, remote boot closing, de-flapped manifold, fridge, umbrella holder
Old 10th October 2020, 02:23 PM

The sensors I put in my D3 did not require a programming pad, and were only a little over £11 for four, including shipping from the USA IIRC. That was about 7 years ago.
My understanding at the time was that it was better to have sensors with valves that kind of hinged in their mounting blocks.
Old 10th October 2020, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonupkid View Post
The sensors I put in my D3 did not require a programming pad, and were only a little over £11 for four, including shipping from the USA IIRC. That was about 7 years ago.
My understanding at the time was that it was better to have sensors with valves that kind of hinged in their mounting blocks.
Wow that is cheap! Any idea of which ones they were?
Old 10th October 2020, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer simpson View Post
Wow that is cheap! Any idea of which ones they were?
Unfortunately I can't remember but I did see the original invoice in the paperwork I handed over to Ron (Norretal) when he recently became the new owner. Maybe it's worth messaging him.
Old 10th October 2020, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonupkid View Post
Unfortunately I can't remember but I did see the original invoice in the paperwork I handed over to Ron (Norretal) when he recently became the new owner. Maybe it's worth messaging him.
Thank you' I'll message him if he hasn't seen this thread.
Old 10th October 2020, 03:01 PM

One more question - can these be fitted as a DIY? Deflate the tyre, break the bead and change the sensor? Or is it tyre off jobbie?
Old 10th October 2020, 05:06 PM

I took mine into the tyre shop. You need a bit of space to remove and refit the sensor and valve combo. I guess it's possible to do it by pushing the tyre off the bead but this might require more hands than fitted to the average human
Old 10th October 2020, 08:07 PM

I did x4 new on mine this week. You do need to "get up to speed" on a run before they display temps.
2012 A6 3.0 TDI Avant, Silver, 7 Spd STronic, Bose, ACC, Advanced Parking Camera, Power close / open tailgate, Side and Lane Assist, AMI & Jukebox, Adaptive lights with corner and high beam assist, Through load with ski bag, Audi pre sense plus, sports diff and sport suspension, Panoramic roof, Storage pack, MMI touchpad and VIM, etc. Oh and now retro fit rear seat entertainment

2019 BMW I3. Heat pump, Winter, professional and comfort packs, Harmon Kardon, autopilot

2022 Mercedes EQC 400

Previously: 2009 S8, Silver, B&O, Ceramic Brakes, Advanced Parking Camera, VCDS
2008 A8 3.0 Tdi sport, B&O