A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Common Faults

D2 - Common Faults Quick links to all known common faults and their solutions

Old 26th January 2021, 09:10 PM

Default Wiper linkage

Needs replacing unfortunately. The wipers had been functioning, albeit very slowly. What are my options here?
Old 26th January 2021, 09:47 PM

Extremely limited at the moment - good ones are almost unobtanium, new ones non-existent. If the balljoints are ok then it can possibly be dismantled and recovered, although sometimes the bushings round the spindles wear out too.

Has it been inspected in detail? Do you have any pics of the problem areas?
Old 26th January 2021, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
Extremely limited at the moment - good ones are almost unobtanium, new ones non-existent. If the balljoints are ok then it can possibly be dismantled and recovered, although sometimes the bushings round the spindles wear out too.

Has it been inspected in detail? Do you have any pics of the problem areas?
Hi MJ. Ooh, don't like the sound of that. No photos currently, it's back in the Audi garage at the moment. Finally made it onto the road...for a couple of weeks! Went back to sort some niggles out & found out about the linkage this evening.

I'll see if I can get them to take some photos.
Old 27th January 2021, 10:27 PM

These guys are in Ireland and selling bushing kits to repair wiper linkages.
I bought a kit off them a few years back to repair the wiper linkage on a 2006 Q7. Only cost about €20 and easy to fit. They may never have seen a D2 wiper linkage though as A8’s are pretty rare over here. There can only be so many variations of an Audi wiper linkage though.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...-2_Y_XK5gY_iUX
Old 28th January 2021, 09:03 AM

That looks worth checking out. In the past Ive swapped my wiper linkage over for a less worn one but i still get wiper "slap" on high speed setting. MJ has been looking at this issue for a while now but if there's a supplier of a kit of parts that would be useful for those without MJs skills and tools.
Old 29th January 2021, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sit down, Waldo View Post
Needs replacing unfortunately. The wipers had been functioning, albeit very slowly. What are my options here?
I had the same problem with the wipers working very, very slowly. Had to run them on full speed to 'loosen' them up a bit to get anything near a normal working tempo.

I removed the whole linkage, stripped it, cleaned it thoroughly and gently sanded the contacting moving parts with 1000-1500 wet and dry. Greased up the moving parts and refitted. A massive improvement. Sorry I didn't take any pictures during the refurb but here's some videos of the results. (I did manage to refit the whole thing 180 degrees out the first time - probably as a result of not taking any photos as I went! So the wipers tried to go down rather than up.) Also steeped the whole nozzle jet in limescale remover overnight and got my spray back to a good level. Think that's why I started it in the first place but got adventurous.

The middle securing bolt for the scuttle needed cutting off as the captive below it was spinning. Bit of an awkward replacement in place now with a 10mm nut below which now needs held with a particular spanner to remove. Picture here shows initial cable tie replacement attempt. Hey ho, worse has happened. Took the opportunity to give the scuttle a real good clean. Made quite a difference being able to get right in about it off the car.

Anyway, not a terribly difficult job if you've got the time, the space, the patience and the attention to detail to put it all back together not 180 degrees out. Couple of circlips in there so you'll need to have the right pliers for them. Yes, I've definitely got 'the slap' on high speed but it seems to work for now at a decent tempo so a worthwhile fix if you've not other option.

Will be having a look at the replacement bushings place myself mentioned earlier here.

Best of luck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200423_154209.jpg
Views:	436
Size:	316.3 KB
ID:	25332  
Attached Files
File Type: mp4 20200423_175824.mp4 (52.85 MB, 513 views)
File Type: mp4 20200423_145328.mp4 (18.59 MB, 441 views)

2009 A8 4.2 FSi LWB - Marine Blue - 164k miles. Extras? Too many to list. But I do like the Rear Seat Entertainment . . . . . .

477k miles to the moon and back. 238k to go and between them they'll have made it!
Old 25th May 2023, 10:04 PM

Has anyone made a 'how to rebuild' guide on this?
Cheers.
Old 3rd July 2023, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe2.0E View Post
These guys are in Ireland and selling bushing kits to repair wiper linkages.
I bought a kit off them a few years back to repair the wiper linkage on a 2006 Q7. Only cost about €20 and easy to fit. They may never have seen a D2 wiper linkage though as A8’s are pretty rare over here. There can only be so many variations of an Audi wiper linkage though.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...-2_Y_XK5gY_iUX
Old link failed to work so here's one that I found that linked directly to their site, which is a post from May 2016:

https://www.autobiz.ie/news/cost-eff...te-engineering

White Engineering on 064-664-3331 or 087-652-2944
(not sure of the code for numbers in Ireland)
Old 3rd July 2023, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_quattro View Post
Old link failed to work so here's one that I found that linked directly to their site, which is a post from May 2016:

https://www.autobiz.ie/news/cost-eff...te-engineering

White Engineering on 064-664-3331 or 087-652-2944
(not sure of the code for numbers in Ireland)
I emailed them back in January 2021 but never got a reply. That was when their address was whiteengineering.ie

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds