A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV

D3 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV All in car entertainment discussions

Old 27th February 2021, 10:23 PM

Default Mmi 2g update - optic loop?

Hi everyone.

when updating the MMI 2G software/firmware, is it still a wise choice to use an optic loop on the DSP AMP to avoid component protection?

Or, is there a de-select option in the red menu before you hit the start button?

Here is my MMI version.........no laughing at the back!

I have genuine Audi dealer discs:

4E0 906 961 H - 1 CD.

4L0 998 961 - 3 CD's.

Are these all I need for the 5570 update from my 07.7.0?

I also have an optic loop if needed.

Also, as I don't have a phone in the car, I can skip CD 2 of the 3 set.......yes/no?

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGA0525.JPG
Views:	988
Size:	241.6 KB
ID:	25727  

Last edited by Echo; 27th February 2021 at 10:34 PM.
Old 28th February 2021, 01:31 PM

Yes you can skip CD2 as it's for the phone/bluetooth. I'm not sure what used to cause the component protection, but I think it was CD2 which would cure itself once you run the disc again
2008 (facelift) S8 with B&O, ACC, glass sunroof, reversing camera, front and rear heated seats, ceramic brakes, homelink, electric side and rear blinds, ski load through, heated fan washer jets, remote boot closing, de-flapped manifold, fridge, umbrella holder
Old 28th February 2021, 04:32 PM

From memory, bose or b&o amps might go into component protection or even get bricked when upgraded, so best to unselect the amp 👍
Old 28th February 2021, 10:52 PM

Yes, thank you Mr Simpson & Paul.

I couldn't reply earlier today as the forum was down (well for me anyway), and I couldn't see your posts, so I just went for it.

I decided to use the optical loop on the DSP amp to avoid the component protection, hopefully.........

Started with the 4E0 906 961 H disc.

This was the update list..........

What's IDC?

Also, the Nav wasn't included in the update?

Maybe it'll be included in the later discs. No, not there either!

Anyway, that finished and I then ran 1 & 3 of the 3 disc set: 4L0 998 961.

Left number 2 out with not having the phone.

Not sure what the 'S' means?

And this is what I ended up with............

The SW 'VERSION' isn't on the bottom right of the MMI 'car' screen anymore, it's in the 'car' settings now, don't know why.

Took about 1 1/2 hours, but I was so relieved

The radio and speakers seem ok, so looks like the optical loop worked then!

Did a VCDS scan and there were some fault codes, but mainly for the loop when I took it out the DSP and put it back again. Also, fault codes for no sound, well there wouldn't be would there, with no amp showing, so just cleared them, and final scan showed they'd been rectified.

I'm just concerned about the Nav though. Why didn't it update with the other stuff? Anyone got an answer for that one?

I had already bought a 2019 - 2020 map DVD:

https://www.satnavishop.co.uk/2018-2...disc-128-p.asp

I swapped it with the old 2004 DVD, but all I got was this........

So I put the old one back, which is working fine, though outdated.

Very pleased that the update to 5570 went well, but a bit miffed at the Nav bit.

Many thanks for your help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGA0009.JPG
Views:	944
Size:	183.1 KB
ID:	25734   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGA0010.JPG
Views:	954
Size:	247.4 KB
ID:	25735   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGA0085.JPG
Views:	940
Size:	154.5 KB
ID:	25736   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGA0052.JPG
Views:	966
Size:	175.3 KB
ID:	25737   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGA0037.JPG
Views:	855
Size:	159.4 KB
ID:	25738   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGA0038.JPG
Views:	973
Size:	155.7 KB
ID:	25739   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGA0040.JPG
Views:	957
Size:	176.9 KB
ID:	25741   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGA0044.JPG
Views:	979
Size:	167.7 KB
ID:	25742  

Last edited by Echo; 28th February 2021 at 10:58 PM.
Old 1st March 2021, 11:37 AM

My take on the nav is that the older drives seem to have a problem running newer nav upated discs for some reason which may possibly be due to wear or other issues with the nav unit laser. I had the same issue with my 2005 early FL D3 not liking newer nav updates either despite running the updated MMi software. I sent for a couple of chinese laser pickups for the maps drive and didnt get around to changing them yet ut was hoping that might solve the issues

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs
Old 1st March 2021, 12:33 PM

Is the new disk by any chance a copy? I have memories of similar issues, I did replace a laser, it was a PITA but it worked.... for a while!
Old 1st March 2021, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echo View Post

I'm just concerned about the Nav though. Why didn't it update with the other stuff? Anyone got an answer for that one?

I had already bought a 2019 - 2020 map DVD:

https://www.satnavishop.co.uk/2018-2...disc-128-p.asp

I swapped it with the old 2004 DVD, but all I got was this........

So I put the old one back, which is working fine, though outdated.

Very pleased that the update to 5570 went well, but a bit miffed at the Nav bit.

Many thanks for your help.
By Nav update, do you mean the maps? 2018 was the last official release so that one you linked will be 2018. There is a thread on here which had the maps on which you can download and burn a copy yourself. I did mine and it's still working over 2 years later. Possibly the old drive doesn't like it. I would send the disc back and get a refund. If you are stuck, I can burn you a copy and post it to you
2008 (facelift) S8 with B&O, ACC, glass sunroof, reversing camera, front and rear heated seats, ceramic brakes, homelink, electric side and rear blinds, ski load through, heated fan washer jets, remote boot closing, de-flapped manifold, fridge, umbrella holder
Old 1st March 2021, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architex_mA8tey View Post
My take on the nav is that the older drives seem to have a problem running newer nav upated discs for some reason which may possibly be due to wear or other issues with the nav unit laser. I had the same issue with my 2005 early FL D3 not liking newer nav updates either despite running the updated MMi software. I sent for a couple of chinese laser pickups for the maps drive and didnt get around to changing them yet ut was hoping that might solve the issues
Oh, right, I didn't know there was a problem with the nav player in these cars.

I just thought the MMI update would update the nav player so you could load a newer map DVD in it, but it's not even selected in the list.......just my way of thinking.
Old 1st March 2021, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulrstaylor View Post
Is the new disk by any chance a copy? I have memories of similar issues, I did replace a laser, it was a PITA but it worked.... for a while!
Well, the link to the satnavishop seems to have pretty good feeback, but I presume they are copies. Obviously cheaper, compared to the dealer prices

Messing about with lasers? I wouldn't know what to do I'M afraid
Old 1st March 2021, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer simpson View Post
By Nav update, do you mean the maps? 2018 was the last official release so that one you linked will be 2018. There is a thread on here which had the maps on which you can download and burn a copy yourself. I did mine and it's still working over 2 years later. Possibly the old drive doesn't like it. I would send the disc back and get a refund. If you are stuck, I can burn you a copy and post it to you
Yeah, as my reply above, I really thought the MMI update would enable me to load a newer DVD map disc somehow, and thought it very odd that 'NAV' was in the list, but the update didn't seem to do anything.

You're right about the link, sorry. I meant 2018 - 2019, satnavishop said was the latest one for MMI 2G. He seems a pretty decent bloke and knows his stuff.

I have contacted him about my problem with the DVD map and he said to run a disc cleaner through the player. If that was the case, why is the old DVD disc running ok?

I really don't know what I'm doing with all this 'burning' malarky , that's why I got the official, genuine MMI 2G update CD's from the dealer. After psyching myself up and getting all nervous about it I was surprised how smooth it all went.

I wonder what An Audi dealer would say if you bought the latest DVD map disc from them, and then told them it won't work?..........."Bring it in and we'll fix it for free"

Just for interest sake, how much is a dealer DVD map disc anyway?

Anyway, I'll take up your offer of a burned DVD thingy and see if has any better luck. Very kind of you Mr Simpson, thanks!

PM imminent.

Last edited by Echo; 1st March 2021 at 03:42 PM.