A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 18th July 2018, 03:34 PM

Default Insurance Time For The D2 A8 - Options

It's coming up to that time of the year again as I've just got my renewal notice for the D2. Current renewal quote is for £382. Under normal circumstances, I usually just do a couple of quick online compares, and then go to pay my current insurer and ask if they can better their existing quote, which they usually do.

However, now that I've decided to try and keep the D2 in my possession AND restore (don't really like that work) it to some of its former glory (I have abused it for the last five years), it will be doing a lot less miles (say 2,000, maybe less). I did get an online quote for £295, but just looking for options on trying to get the insurance for less. Any suggestions on particular insurance companies I should look into, that may not be included in the compare sites?

BTW The other reason for asking is that I now have... ahem... three A8s, the '01 D2 A8, the '08 D3 S8 I bought in February and a '04 D3 A8 I bought in April as a daily to replace the D2, so trying to save a few quid here and there.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 18th July 2018, 04:35 PM

Try LV multicar, I have 3 out of four cars with them at the moment, the fourth is for sale!
Old 18th July 2018, 09:00 PM

Location: Redmile: Leics, Notts, Lincs border - near Belvoir Castle

I have Admiral multicar for my S8 and a BMW mini. They’ve been hard to beat.
Current mods: solar sun roof, 20mm rear spacers, 15 mm on front, red brembo callipers, 6k headlights, rear view camera, engine remap, alloy dash dial rings, alloy navi rings, tt/phaeton pedal upgrade, (and custom matching foot rest) dension ipod interface & parrot hands free kit (both fully hidden), av input, tv in motion switched thro' PF switch in blanking plug right of steering column, Audi 'quattro' sill covers, repositioned centre console switches, radio clock, .
Planned mods: auto-dimming rear view mirror, dash cam (as steamship's), fit the ski hatch, refit philips drl's (or maybe not - nope, definitely not - horrible botch!).
Old 18th July 2018, 09:18 PM

I migrated recently from Direct Line to Privilege for a big saving; are they both available in NI? (Same company under the skin)
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 18th July 2018, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamship View Post
It's coming up to that time of the year again as I've just got my renewal notice for the D2. Current renewal quote is for £382. Under normal circumstances, I usually just do a couple of quick online compares, and then go to pay my current insurer and ask if they can better their existing quote, which they usually do.

However, now that I've decided to try and keep the D2 in my possession AND restore (don't really like that work) it to some of its former glory (I have abused it for the last five years), it will be doing a lot less miles (say 2,000, maybe less). I did get an online quote for £295, but just looking for options on trying to get the insurance for less. Any suggestions on particular insurance companies I should look into, that may not be included in the compare sites?

BTW The other reason for asking is that I now have... ahem... three A8s, the '01 D2 A8, the '08 D3 S8 I bought in February and a '04 D3 A8 I bought in April as a daily to replace the D2, so trying to save a few quid here and there.
I don't know how old you are but I've got my D2 S8 with Saga at £170.
Old 18th July 2018, 09:45 PM

I don't think Saga has a lower age limit, but they market to the "50+" demographic.

Anyway Sean is "retired". As for his age, having spent a lot of time with him, still dunno….
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 18th July 2018, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulrstaylor View Post
Try LV multicar, I have 3 out of four cars with them at the moment, the fourth is for sale!
Now that you mention them, I have heard their ad on the radio, but never considered them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Laird View Post
I have Admiral multicar for my S8 and a BMW mini. They’ve been hard to beat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
I migrated recently from Direct Line to Privilege for a big saving; are they both available in NI? (Same company under the skin)
Will check Admiral, Direct Line & Privilege tomorrow & see what they say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vagdream View Post
I don't know how old you are but I've got my D2 S8 with Saga at £170.
To quote HPsauce below, I fall into the '50+' demographic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
I don't think Saga has a lower age limit, but they market to the "50+" demographic.

Anyway Sean is "retired". As for his age, having spent a lot of time with him, still dunno….
Well Andrew, at least I'm in the right demographic. Still not retired though, more 'medically unfit'... although with my current insurer, 'retired' is cheaper than 'unemployed'.

Thanks for those names so far. Be interesting to see what quotes they come back with. Watch this space.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 19th July 2018, 08:03 AM

I was reading an article today about a new company By Miles their initial price seems to be around £150 then you pay something like 3p per mile to a max of 150 miles a day. Unfortunately though it doesn't look like they will cover the D2 S8, not sure if it's the vehicle age or something else.
'00 Audi S8 Agate Grey (Sold )
'11 Audi Q7 4.2tdi Unknown Red (Classic Red Pearl Effect - thanks MJ)

Old 19th July 2018, 08:15 AM

That's the best captcha ever!
Old 19th July 2018, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
That's the best captcha ever!
It is, isn't it!

EDIT: I've just had an online chat with them and the D2 S8 shows up as an insurance group 46 which is too high for their underwriters at the moment!
'00 Audi S8 Agate Grey (Sold )
'11 Audi Q7 4.2tdi Unknown Red (Classic Red Pearl Effect - thanks MJ)

Last edited by pete-p; 19th July 2018 at 08:39 AM.