A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Interior Electrics

D3 - Interior Electrics Airbags, Sensors, climate modules, instrument clusters, switches etc

Old 28th November 2021, 05:20 PM

Default 10%battery common issue, anyone actually had it fixed?

Most will have probably encountered it at something, I've had it on both A8 d3s I've owned what I want to know is has anyone had a energy management software upgrade and had it fixed?

Example: I'd been away for a week and started the car battery was 100% I thought great it's fine. Ran the car for 30 minutes shutdown, start the car 3hrs later it's at 10%. Another time I start the car and battery is at 10% run the car to 50% stop and shutdown restart the car and at 100% I'm confident it's the power management system, it's like the car thinks the battery is low so shutdown systems accordingly. In the past I've messed on with coding the battery and not coding the battery neither fixes it long term. I've caved and booked it in at an Audi dealership for a diagnostic I just don't want them trying to sell me a battery as I know the battery is fine several batteries over 2 cars can't be the battery. Getting to the point of resenting the car a bit
Old 28th November 2021, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnypym123 View Post
Most will have probably encountered it at something, I've had it on both A8 d3s I've owned what I want to know is has anyone had a energy management software upgrade and had it fixed?

Example: I'd been away for a week and started the car battery was 100% I thought great it's fine. Ran the car for 30 minutes shutdown, start the car 3hrs later it's at 10%. Another time I start the car and battery is at 10% run the car to 50% stop and shutdown restart the car and at 100% I'm confident it's the power management system, it's like the car thinks the battery is low so shutdown systems accordingly. In the past I've messed on with coding the battery and not coding the battery neither fixes it long term. I've caved and booked it in at an Audi dealership for a diagnostic I just don't want them trying to sell me a battery as I know the battery is fine several batteries over 2 cars can't be the battery. Getting to the point of resenting the car a bit
It was notoriously unreliable as a battery meter, I have a feeling it was soft coded out from the factory in later years by default. Unless there is an issue with starting or systems shutting down, I'd save yourself the diagnostic fee
Old 1st December 2021, 07:09 PM

Were the batteries ever coded to the car?
2008 (facelift) S8 with B&O, ACC, glass sunroof, reversing camera, front and rear heated seats, ceramic brakes, homelink, electric side and rear blinds, ski load through, heated fan washer jets, remote boot closing, de-flapped manifold, fridge, umbrella holder
Old 1st December 2021, 07:59 PM

On mine, changing all four door handles (supplied by our sponsor) and a new alarm siren last year did the trick. Battery all good since then... Holding charge and battery monitor level.
2012 A6 3.0 TDI Avant, Silver, 7 Spd STronic, Bose, ACC, Advanced Parking Camera, Power close / open tailgate, Side and Lane Assist, AMI & Jukebox, Adaptive lights with corner and high beam assist, Through load with ski bag, Audi pre sense plus, sports diff and sport suspension, Panoramic roof, Storage pack, MMI touchpad and VIM, etc. Oh and now retro fit rear seat entertainment

2019 BMW I3. Heat pump, Winter, professional and comfort packs, Harmon Kardon, autopilot

2022 Mercedes EQC 400

Previously: 2009 S8, Silver, B&O, Ceramic Brakes, Advanced Parking Camera, VCDS
2008 A8 3.0 Tdi sport, B&O

Last edited by kele; 1st December 2021 at 08:57 PM.
Old 4th December 2021, 07:50 PM

Yeah previous car I coded and still had the issue, this car has had 2 new batteries since I bought it. First one I coded though vcds muliple times last one I haven't there doesn't seem to be any consistency to it just a sheer pain in the backside. The A8 d3 before my current one I had a flat battery overnight and was almost late for my wedding day didn't sit well with her. Handles could be yeah I've heard about the sensors causing it, I'm needing to get it fixed as put up with it way too long, going ahead with the diagnostic next weekend, will post their findings, the more I think about it yeah could be the passenger handle as used to show up in vcds scans (I no longer have vcds)
Old 11th January 2022, 09:38 PM

Update on situation, had the battery coded by audi over a month ago and have been double locking the car at a distance, one of these two things have stopped the drain, couldn't be happier
Old 11th November 2022, 10:01 PM

Ok so that didn't last long battery was still draining, switching to a Bosch S5 A15 AGM next to see if that has any bearing, if not I'm going to disconnect the the handle sensor plugs on each door. What a pain this car is and can drive you round the bend and you've got to lock the car at a distance every time otherwise it just opens up and drains. Will be fitting it in the next week and will post again.
Old 17th November 2022, 06:20 AM

Yes I replaced the alarm unit, and one of the door handles which had water in it.

No repeats.

04 A8 - 4.2 Sport

Indigo Leather Sports Seats - Sports wheel - Sports Air Suspension
Auto Boot - Double Glazing - AMI - Solar roof
TV - Bose - Voice Control - TPMS - AFS- TINT
Power Blind, Fingerprint - Light package (in and out)

Retrofits:
OEM Auto headlights & rain sensing wipers
OEM Bluetooth phone
Bluetooth Audio Streaming
Reverse Camera
OEM Aluminium Package
Auto boot close using remote/door button
Old 19th November 2022, 07:19 PM

The scans have alway revealled 3 handle faults, haven't had an alarm fault yet Fitted the agm battery on 14th so far I've had no drop in battery charge and starts like a lightening bolt in comparision to before on both D3's I've had. Hopefully this has sorted it so far so good, all the years of fitting a non agm have made me wonder was it originally fitted with an agm battery. Touch wood it's all good, otherwise its the handle disabling jobbie

Last edited by jonnypym123; 19th November 2022 at 07:22 PM.