A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV

D2 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV All in car entertainment discussions

Old 9th January 2015, 08:33 PM

Default Opinions sought on alternative to RNS-E

Came across this guys and gals - any comments or observations?

http://www.preston-i-c-e.co.uk/audi-002-android.php

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	860
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	9990  

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs

Last edited by Architex_mA8tey; 9th January 2015 at 08:41 PM.
Old 9th January 2015, 09:37 PM

Looks alreet. You'd want to see it in action or at least see it on YouTube. The lag alone could render it useless.

I do study in Preston, if need be I could pop in, but I've not seen an RNS-E in the flesh, so would have little to compare it to.

2007 Mini Cooper S R56

2008 D3, gone, but not forgotten after 9 years and 90k.
Old 10th January 2015, 07:06 AM

Screen res is quiet low, if your used to an android tablet you'll be disappointed.
2004 D3 A8 3.7 Quattro, Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Solar Sunroof, TV, ACC, phone and almost every option. 168K miles rising slowly
with retrofit AMI and DVB-T in place of Analogue
2003 Volvo S60 D5 SE Manual, 197K miles.
2001 D2 A8 3.7 QS, Bi-Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Electric Everything, retrofitted RNS-D, 191K Miles
Old 10th January 2015, 07:33 AM

i think you should buy one and let us know how good it is

here is NOT same unit on ebay. ... £260 ono but uses windows CE and i would not touch it with a bargepole!
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/for-AUDI-A...-/221601091925

or go direct to the manufacturer via alibaba
http://www.alibaba.com/trade/search?...oid+double+din

theres lots of choice out there, quality is unknown!

Last edited by andycaca; 10th January 2015 at 08:04 AM.
Old 10th January 2015, 08:46 AM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

Interesting.

I wonder how compatible and straightforward to fit that is from a connectivity point of view. Presumably it won't talk to the DIS in any case.

If something like this became available that was a direct replacement and was able to communicate with the DIS, I'd be sold. The DIS sat nav information is the main reason I've stuck with my OEM RNS-D.

Alternatively, I would probably give up the DIS for a fully fledged car-puter. While Android based stuff is ok, and a step in the right direction, I'd much rather have a proper x86-64 'car-puter' that I can load my own OS and software onto; I'm amazed they're still relatively unavailable. For a few hundred quid, I can buy a fairly powerful Windows-compatible computer, just a few inches square, yet most car stuff is little better than a cheap tablet in terms of spec and performance, despite there being plenty of room inside a double-din unit for a very capable small-form-factor PC board. I've been tempted to build my own car-puter on a number of occasions and probably would if I had the time.
------------------------------------------------------

Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust
Old 10th January 2015, 10:53 AM

given a few evenings and enough will, you could probably make something pretty awesome with a raspberry pi or one of the other SoC boards out there.

integrating it with the dash might be a pain, you would want full touchscreen for normal use. sod using a USB keyboard to change radio channel!

edit: people are already on the case... https://www.suprmasv.com/projects/83/raspberry-pi-carpc and http://www.engineering-diy.blogspot....13-update.html
Old 10th January 2015, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andycaca View Post
given a few evenings and enough will, you could probably make something pretty awesome with a raspberry pi or one of the other SoC boards out there.

integrating it with the dash might be a pain, you would want full touchscreen for normal use. sod using a USB keyboard to change radio channel!

edit: people are already on the case... https://www.suprmasv.com/projects/83/raspberry-pi-carpc and http://www.engineering-diy.blogspot....13-update.html
Using a Raspberry Pi would certainly make it an interesting and cool project. I'm thinking something more powerful though, like an Intel NUC motherboard. Something that can run Windows and any software I need, such as my IT remote assistance/administration software so that I can control and repair customer's computers from the side of the road. I have laptops and tablets already of course, but it would be nice to have a fully integrated solution.

I have considered installing a system in the boot in the past, with a remote touchscreen fitted into the dash, but there are a number of moderately powerful systems now that are small enough to fit inside a double-din unit.

Cars Owned:
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust

Last edited by moltuae; 10th January 2015 at 11:57 AM.
Old 10th January 2015, 11:54 AM

Some of these units are horrendous and some are great. Keep eyeing up the Dynavin N6 for the X5, but there isn't a version for the older Audis, and that may be the issue with trying to source a 'fast' unit.

I'd probably start looking at the likes of the Raspberry Pi and a touchscreen monitor, or an embedded tablet.

I know.. I know..

Old 12th January 2015, 08:38 AM

On the subject of car-puters, coincidentally it seems they may be about to get a lot more commonplace.

Some news from this year's CES:

Nvidia Shows New Mobile Processor, Automotive Computer
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2015-0...-computer.html

At CES 2015, Connected Cars Will Steal the Gadget Spotlight
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-1...nics-show.html

Cars Owned:

Old 12th January 2015, 11:09 AM

Why not an original RNS E? You can pick them up fairly cheap now. Having a cheap knock off in the dash would bug me.

I'd much rather keep the RNS D.

Will give you a heads up if I see an RNS E for sale.
2009 Audi RS 6 Saloon V10 - 420mm Ceramics, Keyless, Soft Close, Adaptive Cruise, Glass Sunroof, Blinds, Twin Pane & UV, Freeview & DAB, High Beam Assist, MTM bits, Audi Exclusive Bits, MRC, Milltek, GYEF1 ASY2's, Bluetooth streaming music to AMI mod - 753 PS/1021 NM
2016 Audi S3 Saloon, Sepang, S-Tronic - B&O, Tech Pack etc... Company Car
1995 Audi A8 4.2 V8 quattro Sport - Bose, Solar, Blinds