A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Motoring > Other marques

Other marques All non Audi other cars

Old 30th August 2017, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tintin View Post
That's a bit like saying there should be petrol pump for every car.. The whole point about electricity is that it's everywhere. Think of it as bit like wifi: I carry around my mobile phone and use that hotspot for connectivity, but only rarely, as there are so many other (free!) places to get online. It's the same if you have an EV, and there are already plenty of charge locations of all types, so there's really no issue with charge availability.

And that telegraph article is patently bull**** - it's been roundly dismissed elsewhere, and it's just typically of the lazy journalism these days (and copy and pasting... ) that no-one bothers to check this sort of rubbish anymore. Fake News!
The point I was trying to make about needing enough charging points is that a lot of electric cars don't have brilliant range, so most people would probably want to charge up when they get home from work, a little like charging a mobile phone each night. I suspect in reality there would be options to charge during the day at work, but I can just see a future where people will be arguing over who is using the charge point and maybe even people unplugging others to charge their own (not sure how possible that is as I've never used one).

I linked the Telegraph article but had also read it on the BBC, possibly still a copy and paste of out-dated and incorrect news, who knows what to believe these days anyway!

I'm not against electric cars, I actually like the sounds of the motor as it builds up speed in the same way I like the sound of a V8 but I wonder if it's the best way forward. Maybe it is...
'00 Audi S8 Agate Grey (Sold )
'11 Audi Q7 4.2tdi Unknown Red (Classic Red Pearl Effect - thanks MJ)

Old 31st August 2017, 03:29 PM

Surely the Hydrogen Cell will be the death knell for ICE and also alleviate some of the charging issues?

http://www.nextgreencar.com/fuelcellcars/
Old 31st August 2017, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee S View Post
Surely the Hydrogen Cell will be the death knell for ICE and also alleviate some of the charging issues?

http://www.nextgreencar.com/fuelcellcars/
This is a technology which offers the best hope for range and quick refuelling.
The issues are Hydrogen production (electrolysing water is very energy intensive and inefficient in comparison to the energy reclaimed in the cell, batteries are more efficient in this regard) and storage.

One side benefit is that it could keep petrol stations relevant.

Marty

Replacement head coming arrived thanks to MJ
Silver with Black interior. All features as the '01, with the 'S' mode auto shifter. Dodgey rear tint (need to find a way to get rid of that).
Family:
2009 Volvo XC90 V8 R Design
- has a louder more obnoxious exhaust than the S8, sounds great! Love this thing - Q7 was double the price, and certainly not double the car!

Sold:
1997 Audi A4
- Hamilton's Club Sport, Achat Grey (will miss the old girl)
Old 31st August 2017, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 27litres View Post
One side benefit is that it could keep petrol stations relevant.
Why would we want that?

Autos Autos everywhere...
(1) 2015 Tesla Model S: (was 85D, now 90D ). Silent and deadly, and very fast... But not as fast as Ian's M3P-
(2) 2002 D2 S8 Final Edition: Bulletproof and faultless: Brilliant Black with Extended (Red!) Leather. Three-times winner of Best D2 1st prize
(3) 1997 Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo: Scots (! ) Green. Fragile, but beautiful.
(4) 2010 Fiat Panda 100HP. White Pandamonium (Final Edition!!). Pure old-fashioned 6-speed go-karting.
Old 31st August 2017, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tintin View Post
Why would we want that?
Errr. who wants to store compressed hydrogen at home?? You have to "refuel" somewhere... they will go from petrol stations to charging stations and finally to hydrogen charging stations....
Old 31st August 2017, 09:07 PM

Quote:
they will go from petrol stations to charging stations and finally to hydrogen charging stations....
I doubt it, personally - too complicated and inefficient.

Autos Autos everywhere...
(1) 2015 Tesla Model S: (was 85D, now 90D ). Silent and deadly, and very fast... But not as fast as Ian's M3P-
(2) 2002 D2 S8 Final Edition: Bulletproof and faultless: Brilliant Black with Extended (Red!) Leather. Three-times winner of Best D2 1st prize
(3) 1997 Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo: Scots (! ) Green. Fragile, but beautiful.
(4) 2010 Fiat Panda 100HP. White Pandamonium (Final Edition!!). Pure old-fashioned 6-speed go-karting.
Old 1st September 2017, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Errr. who wants to store compressed hydrogen at home?? You have to "refuel" somewhere... they will go from petrol stations to charging stations and finally to hydrogen charging stations....
That's what I was thinking - there will be regulatory control on Hydrogen storage anyway, with tested tanks in cars (like LPG currently).
Fuel stations would be a mix, like we currently have Unleaded, Premium, Diesel and LPG.
You'd have Hydrogen, supercharging and fossil fuels mix in proportion to their needs (like currently, controlled by market forces).

With charging stations, it depends on how they're going to be set up. You'll need some sort of formal supercharging infrastructure to allow for long distance travel, unless you plan on parking next to someone's lamp post overnight (lamp post charging won't be supercharged).
Whether this is in the form of cafe's and shopping centres (like currently) or service stations (motorway services). Motorway services makes the most sense for cars on long distance trips.

Marty

Replacement head coming arrived thanks to MJ
Silver with Black interior. All features as the '01, with the 'S' mode auto shifter. Dodgey rear tint (need to find a way to get rid of that).
Family:
2009 Volvo XC90 V8 R Design
- has a louder more obnoxious exhaust than the S8, sounds great! Love this thing - Q7 was double the price, and certainly not double the car!

Sold:
1997 Audi A4
- Hamilton's Club Sport, Achat Grey (will miss the old girl)

Last edited by 27litres; 1st September 2017 at 12:39 AM.