A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > Our Other Audi Friends > A6/S6/RS6 C5

A6/S6/RS6 C5 1997-2004

Old 3rd May 2013, 09:02 AM

Default RNS-E GPS problems

Good morning.

My better half's A6 C5 has the lovely RNS-E unit that has got some issues with the navigation. sometimes it seems to work fine but lately it has no clue where it is(still thinks we are in denmark after spending easter there)

The strange thing is that the DIS and RNS-E shows what direction we are travelling (East,west etc etc) and also the coordinates given in the RNS-E is correct. so that makes me think that the GPS is kinda working?

Any ideas?
1993 Audi S4 2.2 TQ MTM 330 (my first love!)
Old 3rd May 2013, 09:16 AM

Have you got a different maps DVD to try?
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 3rd May 2013, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
Have you got a different maps DVD to try?
I'm afraid not.. Guess the RNS-D disc wont do much good?
1993 Audi S4 2.2 TQ MTM 330 (my first love!)
Old 3rd May 2013, 03:38 PM

RNS-D is CD based and so no good.
Old 3rd May 2013, 10:02 PM

Gninnam had a somewhat similar issue in that the gps was showing a different location.

It was the battery at fault
A8 4.2TDI - Ice Silver, Comfort heated/cooled/massage Seats, Alcantara, Extended Leather pack, Ambient light pack, Solar roof, Night Vision, Lane change assist, Audi presense, Audi BrakeGuard, ACC Cruise, Blinds, Quad Air, AMI, Online services, Parking with rear Camera, Aluminium brushed inlays, Adaptive Zenons, High beam assist, Bose Sound, and more

Gone but not forgotten: A8 D3 2005- AMI HDD, Audible Parking, TV, NAV, Bluetooth, Hybrid TV, Aftermarket headrest monitors, Rosstech VCDS / Vagcom
Old 3rd May 2013, 10:38 PM

Default Gps update issues

Try giving the dvd head unit a clean with a dvd cleaning kit...and check howmany satellites you are picking....should normally be at least 4 to give triangulation.

Then I would try a cheap gps antenna off ebay...only cost about 5 pound off ebay...and that will tell you if the unit is faulty or the gps antenna.
01 Audi a8 fl sport - Grey, Bose, Glass Sunroof, S8 grill/mirror covers/wheels, Aftermarket Exhaust, very quick and lots of fun!!!!!....well I gave it one final push on the pedal to hear that v8 growl and then it was off to a new home.....
99 Audi a8 fl - Silver, Black alcantara seat/ S8 grill/side mirror, MFSW, Solar Sunroof, 17" Monoblocks (for that extra cushion of air), Rnsc, Bose.....great motorway cruiser....now gone to a new home
02 Final Edition S8 - Avus Silver, Extended Leather Pack III, Front & Rear Heated Seats, Servo, Blinds, Rear Seat Entairtainment with Playstation, Bose, Bi Xenons.....now gone to a new home
97 PF A8 4.2 quattro sport - Cashmere Grey, Servo, RNS E, Blinds, Bose, 20 Final Edition Alloys, LPG....sold sadly and will be missed
03 S4 V8 Saloon - Misano red, Manual, Milltek, Bose, Xenons, RNS E - Sold as of Feb 2012