A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Lights

D3 - Lights Headlights, xenons, foglights. Everything outside the car that glows

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11th December 2015, 07:48 PM

Snap, they were my feelings exactly AAAAAgh!!!!
I'll try and explain it in my simple words.
Imagine a bayonet bulb with two contacts like a normal stop/tail light bulb.
In the holder, instead of two plunger contacts there are two thin metal arms that are spot welded to the bulb contacts.
The bulb and holder are not bayonet, the bulb base just slides into the holder and is retained by the holders plastic sleeve having small teeth that overlap the bulb base.

I think that if the contacts were not welded the bulb would come out rather easily. I also think that they are welded because the two contact arms are only thin metal extensions to the male spades that the supply wires plug onto and are not sprung in any way.
The holder itself has two holes, small screws go through these and into the light unit body to fasten the holder down.

I hope that sort of makes sense.

I was looking at the Italian web page you sent but could not translate enough to work out how to buy one. No one else seems to stock the same item. All the US sites display a wedge bulb when they have a picture or no picture/drawing at all.

I'll try and contact Warrington Audi parts chappie and see if he has one for me to play with. Even at £12 it might be worth breaking it

2014 A8L D4 4.0TFSI Gold (Sticker says "Beige") Can't leave you in a black smoke cloud anymore..
In progress, Nothing left to do.

Gone 2004 A8 D3 3.0 TDI. Ebony Pearl Black (with little bits of other colours and glitter)