A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Common Faults

D3 - Common Faults Quick links to all known common faults and their solutions

Old 5th January 2014, 06:35 PM

If tilt works I'd lift it and have a good look. Might be debris blocking it somehow and even a bit of WD40 might help?
Or give it a bit of "encouragement" while someone else presses the button for you?
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 26th April 2014, 11:55 AM
Banned

Ok still no solution ... car emptied about a pint of water all over my lap again.

I cant find where the drains come out can any one help. Or have a diagram would be hand..

On the W12 they come out into the door jam but on the lwb 4.2 for some reason they are blank .. no little pipe coming out into the door jams ?
Old 26th April 2014, 06:17 PM

They do drain down that side, if its not in the door jam I think the end of the pipe is behind the wheel arch liner.

I was referred to the image below in another thread when investigating why mine groans slightly.

2004 D3 A8 3.7 Quattro, Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Solar Sunroof, TV, ACC, phone and almost every option. 168K miles rising slowly
with retrofit AMI and DVB-T in place of Analogue
2003 Volvo S60 D5 SE Manual, 197K miles.
2001 D2 A8 3.7 QS, Bi-Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Electric Everything, retrofitted RNS-D, 191K Miles

Last edited by mannyo; 26th April 2014 at 06:26 PM.
Old 26th April 2014, 08:39 PM
Banned

Thank you manny il give that a try ... the problems that water ingress can cause is unreal. Ive never seen anything like it ..

And the D3 is useless with out the mmi .. it dose nothing with out that brain to tell it what to do
Old 28th April 2014, 07:29 AM

I had to clean my drains out cause they was full up of gunk.

The passenger side drain is easier to do than the drivers side.

Jack the car up, remove the wheel, remove 6 or so T20 (might be T25) hex screws and gently bend the carpet look alike wheel liner away and behind the caliper.
You will see the drain rubber easy enough.
Open it up and remove as much crap as you can. be prepared for it to go down your arm and up your sleeve.

The passenger side is a little harder cause the washer bottle is in the way but you can move it out of the way enough to get some form of cleaning item in and remove the crud.

I got a bit of tubing and a funnel to help test the drain tubes. saved trying to gently poor water in to the gully around the sun roof.
Soft close Doors & Boot, Electric Blinds, Keyless Entry & Start, Bluetooth HandFree, Quad Zone Climate, APS+, 3 Spoke Sports Tiptronic Multi Function Steering Wheel, Heated Seats All Round, Black Leather Comfort Seats, AMI, Sunroof, Drivers & Passenger Electric Memory Seats, Auto Dimming Mirrors, Bi-Xenons AFS2, Dab, Digital TV, Reversing Camera, AV Inputs, Fridge, Solar Roof, TPMS, facelift rear lights, 3G, remote boot closure, Tow Bar.
Old 28th April 2014, 09:27 AM
Banned

All done .. Thank you .. driverside was a bugger as the washer bottle needs removing to get at it ... surprise surprise they were both welded closed ....

solution screwdriver right in there prodded around and then used a water vac to suck 3 lots of hot soapy water through to clear it all out.

perfect thank you

only other problem is major electrical as a result of this water ingress no mmi functions ... screen is stuck up and the thing gets as far as the boot up screen/welcome screen and thats it

lots of clicking sounds like a relay from the boot area but nothing

any ideas ?
Old 24th May 2014, 08:08 PM

Got in mine this morning for the first time in a week, and the drivers side headlining was wet as was the A pillar trim on the inside. Looks like my sunroof drain on one side is blocked, the rest of the interior was dry and luckily the MMI controls appeared dry. I've placed a plastic bin bag over the MMI controls for now, and parked the car the other way around so the drivers side is higher because the car is on a slope.
2004 D3 A8 3.7 Quattro, Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Solar Sunroof, TV, ACC, phone and almost every option. 168K miles rising slowly
2001 D2 A8 3.7 QS, Bi-Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Electric Everything, retrofitted RNS-D, 191K Miles
Old 25th May 2014, 11:21 AM

Looks like both my front drains are blocked as a minimum, because I parked the other way on the slope overnight and after some rain I opened the sunroof. Result is the passenger side front gully is like a swimming pool. There is a very slow drip from the wheel arch where the drain is.

As I don't have access to anything to raise the car to get the wheel off, except the factory jack which I would only use in an emergency I decided to try and at least clear the passenger drain without removing the wheel. After 15mins of pfaffing around I decided its not possible, I removed the torx screws I could access and another 10mm bolt on the underside but was unable to pull back the liner sufficiently to even locate the drain by feel.

I'll have to get a local dorset garage to take a look and clear both drains, whilst they are at it they can fix my screenwash bottle as well.

For now I have covered the centre console in a plastic bin liner to keep the electrics dry if the level gets high enough.

I hope I can get it sorted quickly, as I need the D3 to attend my dads funeral (he passed away just over 1 week ago) and I don't want anyone travelling in the car to get soaked.
Old 25th May 2014, 12:12 PM

Decided to try the other way, got some wire and poked it down the hole from the sunroof end, got it all the way down to the end but cannot get enough push to get it to go through the rubber end. All thats happening at the moment is the wire kinks, so need a thicker preferably single core wire.
Old 25th May 2014, 02:02 PM

Be careful if your using stiff single core wire, you run the risk of damaging the hose that runs through the car.

Did you try the bug spray bottle method I mentioned before.

Was successful on my drains and easy to set up