A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Wheels and Tyres

D2 - Wheels and Tyres Refurbing, center caps, tyre brands, tyrefitters - discuss it here

Old 11th September 2013, 06:20 AM

Well done with the job buddy

Oh and i can't believe you'd run a directional tyre the wrong way just imagine being caught up in an accident and you get one of those accident investigator or vehicle safety jobs worths turn up and clock it on the car

Bright yellow bus o love.
Old 11th September 2013, 08:51 AM

So what do you do, not carry a spare at all if you have rotational tyres?

As noted earlier, I have a non-rotational spare anyway, but in an emergency driven carefully until you can get it sorted, it's fine. Same as with those strange thin "space-saver" spares some cars have.

I recall asking my tame "tyre man" about this and he said if you do have a rotational spare mount it for nearside use as that's the commonest failure.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 11th September 2013, 03:52 PM

Like you my spare is not directional so i can put it anywhere i like, i do try if possible to get non directional or asemmetrical tyres so i can spin them on the rim as i had trouble a while ago with wear on the inside edges on the front, but that was before i had the tracking played with and had been alright since.

I was having a bit of a laugh as Adrian was / is in the car safty game and i was wondering what his take would be if 2 cars were involved in a accident, in the wet and one of the cars had a directonal tyre fitted to the wrong side, would that not go into the report?

Bright yellow bus o love.
Old 11th September 2013, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post
I was having a bit of a laugh as Adrian was / is in the car safty game and i was wondering what his take would be if 2 cars were involved in a accident, in the wet and one of the cars had a directonal tyre fitted to the wrong side, would that not go into the report?
It would depend if loss of control as a result of under/over steer/aquaplaning could be linked to the wheel position with the offending reversed tyre

If it played no part it'd be ignored

If driver was being an idiot on a road with lots of surface water where the tread pattern matters in terms of clearing water at a sufficient rate then it might become a factor in deciding to prosecute

If driven within sensible limits it won't matter

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC