A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV

D3 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV All in car entertainment discussions

Old 16th September 2011, 06:42 AM

Default W12 Noob questions

Hello all,

Finally got my profile unlocked so that I can post here!

I recently bought a 2005 A8L W12, from the main dealers here in Dubai. The car has mainly been used as a VIP chauffeur driven limo and has only 57000kms on it. It has also been upgraded several times to keep it "current" with such things as....new front grille, LED rear lights, new side mirrors, etc.

The car was sold to me "as is", although I did manage to get them to do an oil service, regas the aircon and balance the tyres (flat-spotted from sitting in the dealers - think I'll have to change them anyway). This led to the first problem - when I got the car back, the (previously working) TPMS kept giving a system error. I have checked with vcds and it doesn't appear to see the sensors. Have reset/initialised several times but warning always comes back after 10 minutes. Took it back to dealers, who claimed to fix it but they just re-initialised the tyres and cleared the fault code, so 10 mins later, it was back. Going back after the weekend to see if they can get it right this time!

Second problem is the fingerprint system not working. vcds says it's fine but when I setup a driver, it gets to the point of going to fingerprint check and gives a system error. Any ideas?

Lastly, I've bought a mobridge bluetooth/ipod unit (car came with motorola phone in armrest / no bluetooth) and plan to install when it's back from the stealers. I'm having 2 problems - 1 finding info as to WHERE to install the module. Craigyb previously responded on another forum and suggested simply replacing the 'phone module with the mobridge, which seedem ideal. Problem is, all the mobridge paperwork suggests that it HAS to be installed prior to the CD changer in the loop. Not having a map of the system, I'm not sure if that means I have to reroute the CD cable elsewhere or what. 2 is that I can't find any definitive information as to coding requirements. I'm a vcds virgin and don't want to f*&k it up! Mobridge claims no coding required for audi but what about the existing 'phone? Does it need to be removed (in software) first? If so, how?

Oh, one other thing, I managed to enable the hidden menu in the MMI (version 5150) but can't get into the "vehicle" menu. Any idea how to unlock it? Google/forum search has failed me on this one. Is it worth it?

Thanks in advance for any replies - great forum.

Now all I have to do is learn NOT to drive it like a tw*t - FAR too tempting!

Last edited by Stuarta; 16th September 2011 at 07:13 AM.
Old 16th September 2011, 07:18 AM

Fingerprint is known to be picky, most likely failing Module. See if Audi can update your existing one first.

Phone one is easy! MOST loop system so you can install anywhere in the fibre optic network. I've extended from various sources in the past.

On the RHD you have to physically unbolt the passenger seat and move it back out of the way. Litrally just lift it back. Then remove the side trim and pull up the carpet. In the footwell area is a large plastic box. In there is the motorola phone module. Simply replace that and test it. Should be fine.
Old 16th September 2011, 07:30 AM

I'm guessing Dubai is LHD, so the modules are under the driver's feet. There's quite a bit of space in the box where the phone module goes and you should be able to get the cables you need in there too.

I know.. I know..

Old 17th September 2011, 03:37 AM

Excellent - thanks all. GOing this morning to see if they can fix the TPMS.

Cheers.

Old 20th September 2011, 12:14 PM

Well, finally found some time to get in and remove the old 'phone module - now just trying to figure out where to take power from for the mobridge. any suggestions? If I understood PsYcHe's previous post correctly, I could use pins 15 + 35 from the old connector - anyone able to a)confirm this and b) whether it's 12v constant or only when ignition on?
Old 21st September 2011, 12:31 PM

Scared myself silly today when I finally installed the mobridge - when I started it up to see if it worked - NO MMI! Completely dead!

As the more astute of you may have already figured out, I had simply neglected to replace the fuse for the original 'phone module - which I drew the power from - meaning that the MOST corcuit was, of course, broken.

After replacing the fuse and cancelling all the ensuing fault codes in the VCDS - SUCCESS! No coding required - the iphone "just works" and music can either be played through a2dp (the interface is a bit clunky and long winded) or the provided ipod cable, which then shows up as another CD changer with playlists, artists, etc. as the disks.

Took a few goes to recalibrate the steering position sensor, which lost it's power too but now seems all good! Now all I have to do is remove the old handset from the armrest / build in the ipod cable and some form of cradle / route the mic cable up to the overhead lights.

Thanks to all for previous posts and assistance
Old 21st September 2011, 01:02 PM

Glad to see it's working

I know.. I know..

Old 22nd September 2011, 02:46 AM

Hi Stuarta.

Might be great if you could report back in a few weeks on your opinion of the mObridge. Been thinking about whether to go with one of these or retrofit original Audi equipment. Currently have the motorola like you had.

Cheers
Scott
Old 22nd September 2011, 05:58 AM

Hi Scott,

give me a few days and I'll report back with some pictures.

Stuart.