A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Interior Electrics

D2 - Interior Electrics Airbags, Sensors, climate modules, instrument clusters, switches etc

Old 7th August 2012, 02:47 PM

Ah, did a search but missed that thread.
Though yours is FL, so subtly different to PF.

Did you not have a polarity problem with the bayonet bulbs for the map lights?

Number plates is something I was thinking of, but when I looked that state of the hex-headed screws holding them in decided not to bother; as noted in your thread, with UK yellow rear plates it's not vital.
(Though I have done it on my Focus and it definitely looks better)
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!

Last edited by HPsauce; 2nd February 2013 at 07:56 PM.
Old 7th August 2012, 02:50 PM

Nope.... No Issue with Polarity on Map Lights.... Plug n Play

" Love the Sound of a V8....... All Day " *still wish it was a V10*

2002 S8 D2 F/L
H & R Springs, Koni Coil Overs, Dastek Chip, Sport Exhaust, 19" S5 Rims, Solar Sun Roof (Cause we have Sun) and most of the Bells & Whistles.
Old 7th August 2012, 02:54 PM

Different design then to PF as polarity is definitely wrong for them.

But I don't have a problem with bulbs on the mirror mount - that whole area is clearly different (PF mirror mounted on windscreen for starters).
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 7th August 2012, 03:13 PM

Eish.... zeez Germans... why change things like that from PF to FL...

The issue I have with my mirror is getting access to remove the bulbs... can't fathom out how to get them out....
or how to dismantle the mirror without breaking something...

I have mailed the guy who supplied my LED's to see if there is a way around
the Polarity issue..... will let you know.

2002 S8 D2 F/L
H & R Springs, Koni Coil Overs, Dastek Chip, Sport Exhaust, 19" S5 Rims, Solar Sun Roof (Cause we have Sun) and most of the Bells & Whistles.
Old 7th August 2012, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian E View Post
This is the glovebox light out of the car
Why don't I ever learn to leave well alone.

It looked so easy, so I went to investigate.
Emptied the glovebox and popped the light cover out.
Which broke at the back, just like yours.

The wires were short so I couldn't get at the bulb, so I decided I might as well try to disconnect it, which I did - they were on fairly tight but not too bad.

Got the bulb out and put in an LED replacement then went to see if I could get it back in, maybe with a bit of tape to secure it?
And there was only one wire, the other had totally disappeared back through the tiny hole in the metal sheet above the glovebox.
Old 7th August 2012, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iyole View Post
Link to my LED upgrade.... Might help you ... http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3374

Ask away if U need any other Info...

I'm still trying to fathom how to get the bulbs out of the Rear View Mirror Housing..... If anybody can help as these are the only two I still need to replace...
Someone on here (Oli I think) recomended I use a pair of thin nose pliers with insulating tape round the ends to avoid breaking the bulbs, worked a treat for me

Audi S8 2002, Black (even the chrome bits)
Audi RS6 Avant 2008, Daytona Grey
Maserati Granturismo 2008, Metallic Nero Carbonio
Audi S8 2015, Daytona Grey
Old 7th August 2012, 03:32 PM

It's never easy is it.... especially with our older cars...

Response from my supplier

" We've had that before with certain cars where it seems the vehicles polarity is different to the norm.

The only way we got around that was to actually open the LED and swop the polarity with the wires on the bulb. There really is no other way. It's not a difficult thing to do though, so anyone who has any kind of electrical experience can do this.

Hope this helps. "

Best you get assistance if you decide to go this route....

2002 S8 D2 F/L
Old 7th August 2012, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by briang9 View Post
Someone on here (Oli I think) recomended I use a pair of thin nose pliers with insulating tape round the ends to avoid breaking the bulbs, worked a treat for me
Thanx Mate I'll give that a bash.... seems a pretty simple solution...

Are they Bayonet or Wedge type bulbs .... just so that I know wetehr to twist or pull..... Tx.

2002 S8 D2 F/L
Old 7th August 2012, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Response from my supplier

" We've had that before with certain cars where it seems the vehicles polarity is different to the norm.

The only way we got around that was to actually open the LED and swop the polarity with the wires on the bulb.
Thanks for that, I've seen that sort of response elsewhere for similar problems.

As I noted earlier I'm going to try a small LED panel (rather than a bulb) which has a bayonet adapter on a lead where I can swap polarity easily.
Old 7th August 2012, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Thanx Mate I'll give that a bash.... seems a pretty simple solution...

Are they Bayonet or Wedge type bulbs .... just so that I know wetehr to twist or pull..... Tx.
mine just pulled out, so guess that means wedge type?

Audi S8 2002, Black (even the chrome bits)
Audi RS6 Avant 2008, Daytona Grey
Maserati Granturismo 2008, Metallic Nero Carbonio
Audi S8 2015, Daytona Grey