A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D3 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Old 12th November 2015, 06:50 PM

Default Modified VCDS labels for your VCDS

As some of you may or may not be aware Ross Tech dont always share every snippet of info in VCDS lbl files.

The reasons are plenty, from protecting us from killing the car or ourselves to not having time to do it, whatever the reason I always want more.

So having stumbled across info thats both safe to use (with common sense) and useful I thought I would modify the VCDS lbl file for the Level control.

The file I have attached is for D3 Air suspension controller and has been tested to work as intended.

Simply download the file, and paste it into your C:\Ross-Tech\VCDS\Labels\User folder then unzip it.

Then the next time you use VCDS when you select control module 34 VCDS will use the file from your user folder.

The modified file allows you to Login and Bleed / Charge suspension components.

Its not something you will need everyday but should you need it, it will save you faffing around no end.

To use the features select module 34 in vcds, then security access, when you hover the mouse you will see extra info regarding bleeding with the login code, enter it, then click do it. then click on basic settings, once in you will see a drop down box with the various options.

They are self explanatory, one notable exception is the Accumulator charge, it occurred to me that is a good way test the air compressor as it only charges the accumulator and nothing else.

Max pressure of the system is 16 bar, I stopped mine at 15.5 bar as thats more then enough and shows the compressor is healthy.

When you click on the On/Off/Next button to activate a command it will time out after a short period, thats normal and if you want to charge or vent some more just click it again.

Attached Files
File Type: zip 4E0-910-553.lbl.zip (3.4 KB, 602 views)

Old 12th November 2015, 08:29 PM

Great info Del - thank you and added to sticky for this section

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs
Old 13th November 2015, 12:16 PM
Banned

Del that is Highly Valuable info there "Thank you Sir

Off to test this Right now
Old 13th November 2015, 05:27 PM

Delboy - do you know if this will work for other Audi wagons ? or if its a8/s8 specific ?
Wifes got a Q7 and suspension seems too harsh... was hoping could adjust using this hack

any ideas?

Blue 2007 Audi Q7 3.0 TDi S-line
Heated Seats, Leather/Alcantera, Auto Boot, Sat Nav (NOT WORKING !), Bluetooth, 20" alloys.
Old 13th November 2015, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BADES View Post
Delboy - do you know if this will work for other Audi wagons ? or if its a8/s8 specific ?
Wifes got a Q7 and suspension seems too harsh... was hoping could adjust using this hack

any ideas?
Just so we are clear here guys this mod to the label file is not to modify anything on the suspension systems.

It is only for diagnostic and servicing purposes as its temporary and not permanent.

An example would be if you were changing a strut unit you would bleed down the appropriate axle to de-pressurise the strut prior to removal, then once the new one was fitted you can charge that axle to perform leak test and to preload the shock prior to bearing weight once off the ramp or jack.

Old 13th November 2015, 07:32 PM

just figured that out
changed the filename to match the part number on the Q7...
was able to do the checks but realised they reset after a restart.

so this brings me back to my issue - i have a Q7 which was riding nice up until the compressor was replaced. it now rides very hard with almost no give, even in comfort mode.

Any suggestions as to what/where i can look for an answer ?
many thanks
Bal.

Heated Seats, Leather/Alcantera, Auto Boot, Sat Nav (NOT WORKING !), Bluetooth, 20" alloys.
Old 13th November 2015, 09:19 PM

If you change the modes from lift to dynamic is the ride height changing , if it been lifted on a ramp without being in jacking mode could it of gone in to a limp mode so the active side as stopped working , need vcds really to check codes and see if any basic settings need re initialising
Old 14th November 2015, 10:10 AM

ride height is changing with the different modes

i've re-calibrated the suspension with the real figures to get it to stock - no difference in harshness.
There are no fault codes in VCDS for air suspension

the compressor was changed recently and its since that change that we felt the difference. Before that dynamic was fairly tight and comfort was... comfortable. now harsh in comfort and brutal in dynamic.

what would constitute a reset ?
Do you know if there are any values/measurement blocks i could be looking at to find fault ?

Last edited by BADES; 14th November 2015 at 10:13 AM.
Old 14th November 2015, 10:44 AM

Does the Q7 have the same style of adaptive shocks as the A8?

There are sequential test that can be ran against 34 level control, cycle through them an somewhere there will be tests that feed current to the shocks, minimal current is hard and maximum current is soft.

Only other thing I can think of with out digging deeper into checking wiring and coil values on the shocks would be fuses.

On the A8 there is more then one fuse that feeds the level control and it would be worth studying current flow diagrams and figuring out if its the same and checking them.

Old 20th November 2015, 12:05 PM

Thanks for the ideas - i will check out the fuses etc.

as an update - the suspension is a little softer since running the tests as per the original post !!! I cannot explain it.

as i said before, i de-pressurised the front and back suspension to 'try' to soften it up and hoped it would remember the settings...
not sure why its worked, but its going the right way. If i get time, i will try to investigate more... for the meantime - Thanks Del.