A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV

D3 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV All in car entertainment discussions

Old 12th March 2013, 07:08 PM

Default AMI what are you using with yours.

My AMI arrived today, I got to the postman before he knocked and have put it away safely. I opted for the USB cable so I could use a HDD then immediately wished I'd gone for Ipod so I could buy a 160gb classic and attach that. Anyway my latest thoughts are for a usb powered SSD.

So I thought i'd seek some advice, what do you have (Ipod/HDD) and how do you find it. How much capacity are you using, how long does it take to initialise etc. I'm MMI 2G so I gather the 4000 song limit doesn't apply.

I have an itchy trigger finger to buy something, not least because if its a disk and I get it soon I might involuntarily manage to make it sound like it came as part of the 'kit' something I'll struggle with if I get an Ipod.
Old 12th March 2013, 07:24 PM

i have the 250gb audi hdd, use it constantly, takes a few seconds to initialise, enough space for more than anyone needs, and you can sort it anyway you want,

mine is first divided by me and the missus, that way i can put it in to my directory and hit shuffle, and it only shuffles within my music etc,

got it on ebay for about 60 quid

i also have the ipod connector but very rarely use it, itunes annoys me
A8 4.2TDI - Ice Silver, Comfort heated/cooled/massage Seats, Alcantara, Extended Leather pack, Ambient light pack, Solar roof, Night Vision, Lane change assist, Audi presense, Audi BrakeGuard, ACC Cruise, Blinds, Quad Air, AMI, Online services, Parking with rear Camera, Aluminium brushed inlays, Adaptive Zenons, High beam assist, Bose Sound, and more

Gone but not forgotten: A8 D3 2005- AMI HDD, Audible Parking, TV, NAV, Bluetooth, Hybrid TV, Aftermarket headrest monitors, Rosstech VCDS / Vagcom
Old 12th March 2013, 08:41 PM

^^ What he said

iPod classics go flat and don't continue playing from where you started, but from 'A'.. the HDD goes from where you stopped. I wouldn't bother with SSD, just go with a 250Gb self-powered portable.

I know.. I know..

Old 12th March 2013, 08:47 PM

I've got a 320gb Samsung HDD. Tons of stuff on it, works a treat
Old 13th March 2013, 04:24 PM

Thats very useful info thanks, I had read stories of some HDD's taking ages initialising so figured an SSD would get round that and be fairly indestructable to boot.

I'll pore over some prices and availability, now I've got the AMI it obviously has to be installed and working immediately
Old 13th March 2013, 04:44 PM

How about 16GB-128GB USB stick depending on how much music you want to put on it. You can get cheap 64GB stick on e-bay starting from £11

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 13th March 2013, 08:25 PM

Yes thanks for the reminder. I can use a 16gb stick Ive got hanging around to start with. I'm now sold on getting my entire music collection in the car so I'm definitely going to order a hdd. Going to try and install the AMI tomorrow while the other half is at work. Gives me about 7 hours to do a ten minute job..... which will be about right
Old 13th March 2013, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manca View Post
Thats very useful info thanks, I had read stories of some HDD's taking ages initialising so figured an SSD would get round that and be fairly indestructable to boot.

I'll pore over some prices and availability, now I've got the AMI it obviously has to be installed and working immediately
The display shows initialising for anything between 5 and 15 seconds, though the music (last track played) will already be playing

to be honest, with the amount of music i normally listen to a 64gb stick would be more than ample, i have reams of stuff ive never listened to on my hdd.
A8 4.2TDI - Ice Silver, Comfort heated/cooled/massage Seats, Alcantara, Extended Leather pack, Ambient light pack, Solar roof, Night Vision, Lane change assist, Audi presense, Audi BrakeGuard, ACC Cruise, Blinds, Quad Air, AMI, Online services, Parking with rear Camera, Aluminium brushed inlays, Adaptive Zenons, High beam assist, Bose Sound, and more

Gone but not forgotten: A8 D3 2005- AMI HDD, Audible Parking, TV, NAV, Bluetooth, Hybrid TV, Aftermarket headrest monitors, Rosstech VCDS / Vagcom
Old 14th March 2013, 06:31 PM

I got a 320gig HDD this morning, unpacked the AMI and found they had put an iPod cable in. Hey ho.

Fitting was a doddle (swapped over the CD changer) and for now I have a spare iPhone attached. A USB cable is on its way and I'm loading up the hard drive.

Thanks to all for the assistance and encouragement
Old 14th March 2013, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manca View Post
I got a 320gig HDD this morning, unpacked the AMI and found they had put an iPod cable in. Hey ho.

Fitting was a doddle (swapped over the CD changer) and for now I have a spare iPhone attached. A USB cable is on its way and I'm loading up the hard drive.

Thanks to all for the assistance and encouragement
and just pretend to SWMBO that it was all already in the car and came like that!!

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs