A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Body and Exterior

D2 - Body and Exterior Bumpers, bonnets, glass, trims - Everything outside

Old 30th August 2011, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notorious View Post
Did anyone manage to remove outer triangular corner moldings?

I'd like to solve rust problem on my car, but don't want to repair in situ, since I think it'll be impossible to paint edges properly, so rust will get through imperfect edges in a year or so. So, going to remove door card and upper door part to change the damn triangles.

I'm particularly interested if I can just loosen the upper window frame structure and just incline whole upper frame without having to disassemble window mechanism to allow access to area between outer door alu sheet and lower part of triangle.

So, has anyone disassembled doors?

I'm going to buy those triangles from stealer first. I think it'll be a bit more clear when I actually hold parts in my hand...
I had to repair a broken window mechanism a couple of years back. Removing the inner door and window is intimidating but very simple really. Just a couple of bolts either end of the door if I recall (once you've removed the card). There are a couple of aluminium shims in there for alignment, but they go back where they come from easy enough. I didn't even need an extra set of hands - did it all alone.

Do NOT be tempted to prise the corner bit off. It WILL snap. I have a spare inner door at home and I still can't work out how that triangle trim comes off.

Zip
Old 30th August 2011, 06:18 PM

Cheers Zip,

It is good to know 'inner door' can be removed as one piece.